The Chicago Blues Playlist

Chicago Blues Today. Vol 2. (3 Vol set. This one is stereo. I have a mono set too.)
The mono set is best IMO. I will likely flick this stereo set off.View attachment 1421464 View attachment 1421463
View attachment 1421464
View attachment 1421463
Forgive me for hijacking this awesome thread with an anecdote about this LP... In 1971 I was a 12 year old kid beginning to play fingerstyle blues and ragtime guitar, particularly influenced by Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee, Blind Blake, Blind Willie McTell, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Mississippi John Hurt and the Rev. Gary Davis. I went to a summer camp where I had some rather amazing things happen. My first bunkmate's dad was a VP or something at Vanguard Records. Hearing about my interest in blues, he brought this record for me on visiting day. I listened to it once and set it aside because the electric Chicago blues sound was just too raw for my taste. Fast forward to c. 1990. I was in Chicago on business, and my wife decided to join me and we stayed for the weekend. I saw that Buddy Guy was playing that evening at his own club, and I recalled the name from the record I had gotten in 1971, though I surprisingly still hadn't gotten into Chicago blues at all, and we decided to go. Well, that show was a significant life altering experience for me. For the next 15 years I immersed myself in electric blues, digging deep and trying to really capture the nuances of many of the players. Not to emulate anyone's style in my own playing, rather to be able to inform my own playing with the true roots and authenticity, rather than drawing upon the popular 2nd and third generation players like SRV, EC, etc.

Also that year at camp we were visited by a former counselor who brought his guitar and was gracious enough to give me and some others some lessons over a few days. That counselor was Roy Bookbinder, who I then studied with for a while after camp, and who showed me a number of songs that are still the foundation of my acoustic repertoire.

Lastly, I switched bunks mid-season, and one day my bunkmate's father came and brought us a nice stereo for the bunk. It was a receiver made by the company he founded and still owned. It was a Fisher 400, and my bunkmate's father was Mr. Avery Fisher.

I still have Chicago - The Blues Today Vol. 2. I also have the t-shirt I bought at Buddy Guy's Legends almost 30 years ago.

Experiences almost wasted on a 12 year old kid...

Resume thread!

Chess 1427. One of the first blues albums I ever bought, and one of the few I know by catalog number:

R-11061100-1509126430-5666.jpeg.jpg

One great "live" Rush listen deserves -- nay demands -- one more...

OTIS RUSH
So Many Roads: Live In Concert
(Delmark, 1995)

2dbc0a19e9c5200c999031974e470a0c_1.jpg

Forgive me for hijacking this awesome thread with an anecdote about this LP... In 1971 I was a 12 year old kid beginning to play fingerstyle blues and ragtime guitar, particularly influenced by Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee, Blind Blake, Blind Willie McTell, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Mississippi John Hurt and the Rev. Gary Davis. I went to a summer camp where I had some rather amazing things happen. My first bunkmate's dad was a VP or something at Vanguard Records. Hearing about my interest in blues, he brought this record for me on visiting day. I listened to it once and set it aside because the electric Chicago blues sound was just too raw for my taste. Fast forward to c. 1990. I was in Chicago on business, and my wife decided to join me and we stayed for the weekend. I saw that Buddy Guy was playing that evening at his own club, and I recalled the name from the record I had gotten in 1971, though I surprisingly still hadn't gotten into Chicago blues at all, and we decided to go. Well, that show was a significant life altering experience for me. For the next 15 years I immersed myself in electric blues, digging deep and trying to really capture the nuances of many of the players. Not to emulate anyone's style in my own playing, rather to be able to inform my own playing with the true roots and authenticity, rather than drawing upon the popular 2nd and third generation players like SRV, EC, etc.

Also that year at camp we were visited by a former counselor who brought his guitar and was gracious enough to give me and some others some lessons over a few days. That counselor was Roy Bookbinder, who I then studied with for a while after camp, and who showed me a number of songs that are still the foundation of my acoustic repertoire.

Lastly, I switched bunks mid-season, and one day my bunkmate's father came and brought us a nice stereo for the bunk. It was a receiver made by the company he founded and still owned. It was a Fisher 400, and my bunkmate's father was Mr. Avery Fisher.

I still have Chicago - The Blues Today Vol. 2. I also have the t-shirt I bought at Buddy Guy's Legends almost 30 years ago.

Experiences almost wasted on a 12 year old kid...

Resume thread!

Hey, what thread highjacking? This is a good post and I'm seeing today, for the first time, a year and half -- what a year and a half @ that! -- since you posted it. :thumbsup:

Chicago Blues Today. Vol 2. (3 Vol set. This one is stereo. I have a mono set too.)
The mono set is best IMO. I will likely flick this stereo set off.View attachment 1421464 View attachment 1421463
View attachment 1421464
View attachment 1421463

These albums are getting some mileage on this thread. A good thing, great stuff! I have #1 and #2 on vinyl and got #3 a couple weeks ago on CD. I noticed Walter Horton plays on the entire #3 album, with Johnny Shines and Johnny Young. Some genuine Chicago Blues.

Chicago Guitar Killers
Blue Night Records (compilation)
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Chicago-Guitar-Killers/release/3450640

A1 –Buddy Guy Stick Around
A2 –Albert King Little Boy Blue
A3 –Earl Hooker Frog Hop
A4 –Robert Nighthawk She Knows How To Love
A5 –B.B. King Recession Blues
A6 –Otis Rush Ooh-Wee Baby
A7 –Jody Williams Hooked On Love
B1 –Otis Rush I Won't Be Worried No More
B2 –Earl Hooker Guitar Rhumba
B3 –Robert Nighthawk Someday
B4 –Buddy Guy Buddy's Boogie
B5 –Albert King Sweet Woman
B6 –B.B. King Tickle Britches
B7 –Buddy Guy $100 Bill

Chicago Guitar Killers
Blue Night Records (compilation)
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Chicago-Guitar-Killers/release/3450640

A1 –Buddy Guy Stick Around
A2 –Albert King Little Boy Blue
A3 –Earl Hooker Frog Hop
A4 –Robert Nighthawk She Knows How To Love
A5 –B.B. King Recession Blues
A6 –Otis Rush Ooh-Wee Baby
A7 –Jody Williams Hooked On Love
B1 –Otis Rush I Won't Be Worried No More
B2 –Earl Hooker Guitar Rhumba
B3 –Robert Nighthawk Someday
B4 –Buddy Guy Buddy's Boogie
B5 –Albert King Sweet Woman
B6 –B.B. King Tickle Britches
B7 –Buddy Guy $100 Bill

BB & Albert King not really "Chicago" Bluesmen. Also Hubert Sumlin, Magic Sam, Honeyboy Edwards, Homesick James and several others are missing.

PS: Also ELMORE JAMES ... one of greatest ****ing sliders and singers in BLUES history.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom