The Clairtone Mystique continues

Too bad there are no photos. That Clairitone is kind of like a Dual Ghia automobile. Only really known, and owned, by the very wealthy. Awesome set.

Photos are there, but you might have to scroll down a bit to get to them.

649252417_thumb_82bededf1839cb8029b153c484388444.jpg

I own one of these and it sounds much better than it probably should. It was my wife's grandparent's purchased in ''68-'69 for $499. They also bought the optional wheeled bar cart in/on which it sits. The whole kit was about to be carted to the landfill when my wife asked me if it was worth saving. My answer was: Yes!

Our machine is in perfect condition except for the smoked dial lens that was broken when thrown into the back of a truck to be taken to that landfill. Wish I could track down a lens for it.

Honestly though $3000?

Gerard

Yes Photos are there and I'll post them for posterity. And I too have the cart, and 4 globe speakers (anybody notice the seller's globes have a different holder). And it does sound sweet but I agree $3000 asking even if it is canadian, strikes me as high... But still a G2 or G1 is in the $10,000 range so even the lowly G3 is rising (which is why I have mine).

Ad for posterity
FOR SALE: Clairtone G3 T13 Stereo System with satellite globe speakers
Item #649252417
Info: Clairtone G3 T13 Stereo System with satellite globe speakers
Asking Price:
CAD $3000.00
Condition: 8 - Very good (?)
Date Posted: Feb 01, 16 6:37am
Edited: Feb 09, 16 6:48pm* Updated!
About Seller:
rangeroad
Halifax, NS
Canada
Product Brand: Clairtone
Product Model: G3
External Feedback: rangeroad2 (118)
Days in System: 8
Views: 228
Avg. Views/Day: 28.50

Description
An incredibly rare original Clairtone G3 T13 stereo system complete with Garrard 3000 turntable and original satellite globe speakers has come to the market. This has recently been serviced with a new lamp and the power amp stage has been upgraded with new capacitors. Buyer to pay for shipping, please email for a quote (will not be cheap to ship).

Possible to drive to meet and deliver within Eastern Canada/USA.

Attachments

• 1156146-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    1156146-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 1156147-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    1156147-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 1156148-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    1156148-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 1156149-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    1156149-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 1156150-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    1156150-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 1156151-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    1156151-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 1156152-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    1156152-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 1156183-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    1156183-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 89
forgot the globe speaker pic

Attachments

• 1156153-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    1156153-clairtone-g3-stereo-system-with-satellite-globe-speakers.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 34
That's ~$2100 USD. Not sure if deal or not but it sure is cool.

These G3 units come up from time to time for between $400-$600 (on Kijiji). Now, the unit in question is supposed to be completely recapped etc. Four years ago I put nearly $200 into mine to get the Garrard 3000 TT working correctly and bad caps replaced as well as poor solders redone. That made a big improvement but did it make it worth two grand US? I don't think so.

While some of the work in these units could be sloppy the design is highly appealing and chassis is built like a tank. The sphere speakers are extremely heavy and sound terrific. As I said these sound much better than they ought to considering the Garrard table and speaker design. And, yes they are incredibly cool too. I feel fortunate to own one.

Gerard

These G3 units come up from time to time for between $400-$600 (on Kijiji). Now, the unit in question is supposed to be completely recapped etc. Four years ago I put nearly $200 into mine to get the Garrard 3000 TT working correctly and bad caps replaced as well as poor solders redone. That made a big improvement but did it make it worth two grand US? I don't think so.

While some of the work in these units could be sloppy the design is highly appealing and chassis is built like a tank. The sphere speakers are extremely heavy and sound terrific. As I said these sound much better than they ought to considering the Garrard table and speaker design. And, yes they are incredibly cool too. I feel fortunate to own one.

Gerard

Was Clairtone a Canadian brand? Before the top post I'd never seen one. Reminiscent (if you squint) of 60's Braun "lifestyle" gear.

Yes it was a Canadian brand and while the company built everything from mini transistor radios to colour TV sets and won many design awards it seemed to always be on the brink of financial disaster. In the late 1960's Nova Scotia using hefty grants and tax breaks lured the company's manufacturing plant to that province.

The new plant was built in an economically depressed area but its start up was a mess. Poorly trained workers, indifferent quality control, marginal shipping (many items were damaged in transit), inconsistent supply of materials (mahogany often solid not veneers) and parts not to mention much cheaper but better built electronics from overseas ended the venture quickly and resulted in the loss of millions of dollars for the province and the bankruptcy of the company.

Clairtone's avaunt guard designs and advertising were simply not enough to overcome its many limitations.

Gerard

Top end Clairtone cabinetry rivaled the best in Canadian manufacturing such as Fleetwood (think Barzilay) and even its low end electronics were better designs than Electrohome (think any low-midrange console). Its advertising and product placement were easily the best in the business but none of that compensated for terrible quality control and company financial problems.

Interestingly, of the survivor Clairtone sets the lowly G3 is the one most usually found in working or near working condition. The G T4 and T10 are often a real mess and quite rare. I've never seen any in that series let alone heard one. The G3 is also fairly rare as evidenced by the poor state of the single example found in the Nova Scotia Museum of Industry.

As I said I feel fortunate to have a G3 in great condition. It is a reminder of the time when Canadian design was world class.

Gerard

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom