The Clairtone Mystique continues

Who cares? :bowdown:

g2_reel_clean.jpg

Indeed. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

A G3 has aesthetics that are pleasing to the eye as well as sound pleasing to the ear considering it has a Garrard 3000 TT and speaker apertures the width and height of a cigarette pack:

g3_whiteside.jpg

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Gerard

Last edited:
The examples of the G T10 and T14 on the market listed for $10,000 or more.

$3000 for a G3 is ridiculous me thinks. Most sell for $400-$600.

Gerard

Gerard, this isn't your first rodeo.

There is always someone, somewhere, with lots of money, and too little sense.

But, the heart wants what the heart wants.

You know....

For the office I can see it, looks like an intercom device. Plus, if the house and furnishing are period correct like an early sixties Frank Sinatra Rat-Pak look of sofistication, it would really accentuate the looks of the device. To include a 58 T-bird in the driveway.....

Gerard, this isn't your first rodeo.

There is always someone, somewhere, with lots of money, and too little sense.

But, the heart wants what the heart wants.

This is very true, soundmotor, "the heart wants what it wants." And, a person could easily spend this on something of much less value. I'd be the last to comment on someone paying such when explained by what you said. I should have specifically said for me it would be ridiculous but not for all.

Gerard

PS: In a more humourous note I'll add that the rodeo seldom made its way to my neck of backwoods. :biggrin:

You know....

For the office I can see it, looks like an intercom device. Plus, if the house and furnishing are period correct like an early sixties Frank Sinatra Rat-Pak look of sofistication, it would really accentuate the looks of the device. To include a 58 T-bird in the driveway.....

You know that is how I see it too ... beautiful in the proper setting.

I might also add a smoking jacket, a brier-wood pipe, and ...if magic existed ...Mary Tyler Moore or Anne Margaret circa 1963 to the picture for a complete look.

Gerard

As long as... let me add a Diana Rigg & Honor Blackman log to the fire as I could see either in that setting.

Oh my....yes Ms. Blackman and Ms. Rigg. Now, back to the topic...what was the topic anyway? Clairtone? What is this Clairtone? Too busy thinking other forms of aesthetic beauty to remember, me thinks.

Gerard

You know....

Looks boss in this setting, too.

clairtone.jpg

And now a new one has hit the bay, and it's the original!
A G (no number for the first generation). This one looks mint. Naturally I bid, but I certainly can't afford. This is 1964 Rat Pack, MCM at it's pinnacle. It's value is definitely in the 5 digit neighborhood.

Preserved for posterity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60s-CLAIRTO...772812?hash=item4d59e6b1cc:g:a40AAOSw5cRZEf6-

60s CLAIRTONE PROJECT G Modern ROSEWOOD Stereo System w/ orig ELAC turntable

The Clairtone Project G's was produced by Clairtone from 1964-67. Costing nearly $2,000.00 new, the equivalent of $20,000 today. Fewer than 400 Project G's were made.
It was promoted by Frank Sinatra, Hugh Hefner, Oscar Peterson and other celebrities and found a niche within Hollywood and other trendsetters popping up on the sets of such movies as The Graduate, The Party and Zabriskie Point.

From Clairtone:
In the sixties, Clairtone’s Project G stereo was the epitome of bachelor pad cool
It transformed the traditional console box by cantilevering its speakers outside the Scandinavian-style modern cabinet.
It won a silver medal at the 1964 Milan Triennale, the international design industry’s most prestigious exhibition, and was adopted by progressives within the arts and entertainment community.
Frank Sinatra endorsed it “Listen to Sinatra on a Project G; Sinatra does”, and G series models appeared in films such as The Graduate with Anne Bancroft and Dustin Hoffman and A Fine Madness with Sean Connery.
Hugh Hefner bought a unit for the Playboy Mansion and jazz legend Oscar Peterson claimed that his music sounded as good on a Project G as it did live.
Constructed of Rosewood with eighteen-inch anodized aluminium globe speakers. The Project G employed transistors instead of tubes, which eliminated the need for cabinet ventilation. As a result, the unit was finished on all sides and rolls on castors. It is truly a beautiful piece of cabinetry, more like a lovely piece of high end furniture.

Despite sales of fewer than 400 units, the futuristic style and sexual revolution swagger of the Project G makes it an icon of the space age.
It is the most important stereo of its period and is a coveted international collectible.
The Project G stereo came in two models. This unit is the rare first run model with a low production number.

On the first run and rarer Project G (mine), all components such as the TC4 amplifier, the Elac 10H turntable are mounted sideways with the red velvet record storage in the center of the unit between the amp and turntable. The cabinet had a more reddish rosewood hue exterior and are simply gorgeous. The Designer was Hugh Spencer for Clairtone Sound Corporation, 1963. Materials: Brazilian Palisander rosewood cabinet, leatherette sides panel inserts, rotating 18 inch aluminum sound globes in stain black finish and brushed, solid aluminum base.
There are 2 later versions, which are not as scarce listed on the 1stdibs website for $48,000 & $25,000 today.
This item rarely comes up on Ebay and you may not find another in such wonderful condition!
Condition as best we can describe:

The rosewood is in fantastic condition both outside & in. The color of the rosewood is deeper & richer in person & has wonderful wood graining details.
The aluminum base is in superb condition as well as the leatherette, castors, cord, plug & interior area. One speaker has 2 very small dents external.

Working condition:
The original Elac German turntable works fine and runs smoothly
The speakers have both been tested, they work & sound great.
The tuner/amplifier powers up but it will need professional cleaning. There is a crackling sound when adjusting the volume or balance. A thorough cleaning should take care of this. Connections that need to be cleaned and lubricated
The radio dial also moves smoothly when selecting a station.
The casters on the unit move smoothly, as does the tambour door on the top.
The speakers remove for easier / safe shipping.
The manufacturer's plate on bottom has this info:
Clairtone Sound Corp LTD Toronto Model 2000 Ser No 4EPRG0115 117 V 60 C 1.55 AMP.

Dimensions: h71cm X w206cm X d47cm - h28 inches X w83 inches X d18.5 inches.

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions as I am happy to reply to all emails. I've listed locally in Craigs List in Orange County California. You are welcome to have the unit inspected before purchase. I will not guarantee working condition after shipment. Electronics are delicate and can jostle wires in shipping. Taking off the speakers for shipment can sometimes loosen the wires. There are no guarantees or refunds after purchase.

The shipping for this rare iconic masterpiece must be handled by a Professional Freight Company. It is HIGHLY suggested that the speakers be crated for safety, they are not hard to remove. FOR SHIPPER : USE 84 BY 28 BY 19 at approx. 110 lbs from Newport Beach CA 92660.
You can chose and make arrangements with whatever company you feel comfortable with, however it has to be a firm who does all the packaging, & by packaging we do not mean throwing a blanket around it & hoping for the best.
Buyer arranges all shipping details. So check out all costs first. It is a business transaction between the shipper & yourself. Please make sure to get yourself correct quotes before placing bids on this Project G.

If you are in the Southern California area and want to pick it up yourself, I'll be happy to arrange a convenient time and date to accommodate your needs. We have many Mid Century Modern homes locally that this unit would be perfect for like all the fab homes in Palm Springs.

Attachments

• 00D0D_iGutRDC7CrU_600x450.jpg
    00D0D_iGutRDC7CrU_600x450.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 00E0E_e4daKg2rsYu_600x450.jpg
    00E0E_e4daKg2rsYu_600x450.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 00F0F_1VDO0HwqBeD_600x450.jpg
    00F0F_1VDO0HwqBeD_600x450.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 00H0H_5Uub8g2CFKP_600x450.jpg
    00H0H_5Uub8g2CFKP_600x450.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 00S0S_cRUXwzwwsmD_600x450.jpg
    00S0S_cRUXwzwwsmD_600x450.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 00X0X_9RSnniqafUD_600x450.jpg
    00X0X_9RSnniqafUD_600x450.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 00X0X_3YqjbtBTjIN_50x50c.jpg
    00X0X_3YqjbtBTjIN_50x50c.jpg
    864 bytes · Views: 26
  • 00T0T_8oGPoZUxVGE_600x450.jpg
    00T0T_8oGPoZUxVGE_600x450.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 00Y0Y_k5lTpwq1Gdu_600x450.jpg
    00Y0Y_k5lTpwq1Gdu_600x450.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 00101_4RmZdzgdfuR_600x450.jpg
    00101_4RmZdzgdfuR_600x450.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 31
and just a few more pictures

Attachments

• 00D0D_iGutRDC7CrU_600x450.jpg
    00D0D_iGutRDC7CrU_600x450.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 00E0E_e4daKg2rsYu_600x450.jpg
    00E0E_e4daKg2rsYu_600x450.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 00F0F_1VDO0HwqBeD_600x450.jpg
    00F0F_1VDO0HwqBeD_600x450.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 14
I had a pair of the Clairtone globe speakers, I wound up selling them to the London audio museum. Wish I could have found a console to go with them...they came with a pile of stuff I picked up.

I own one of these and it sounds much better than it probably should. It was my wife's grandparent's purchased in ''68-'69 for $499. They also bought the optional wheeled bar cart in/on which it sits. The whole kit was about to be carted to the landfill when my wife asked me if it was worth saving. My answer was: Yes!

Our machine is in perfect condition except for the smoked dial lens that was broken when thrown into the back of a truck to be taken to that landfill. Wish I could track down a lens for it.

Honestly though $3000?

Gerard

I realize this is an old post but I also have one of these. Sounded amazing! BUT one of my speaker channels went out and I had it serviced. He went through and fixed up the amp and also replaced the cart on the record player. Since then it hasn’t sounded the same and I suspect it’s the cartridge! I’ve been trying to figure out ever since what cart was originally on there! If you could tell me what cartridge is on your Garrard 3000 I would be forever grateful. hopefully this message reaches you!

I salvaged a T13 from a console in that was trashed this past summer. I refurbished it (new electrolytics, lubed/cleaned dial pulley and tuning capacitor - these get tougher to turn with age, and cleaned a noisy volume pot) I hooked it up to some el-cheapo Technics speakers and it sounded real nice! I love the late night MW (AM) dx’ing , as well as FM , both very sensitive , love that ferrite rod antenna!
I gave it to my niece for Christmas along with the aformentioned speakers as her first stereo to enjoy her new vinyl collection on. I kind of miss it now; will have to send her some info on here so she could see she got a piece of audio history and to take good care of it as the previous owner had . Fyi the phonograph was removed by the time I got to it. Regret not going baxk for the speakers now:(

p.s. I found the instruction manual on line but the specifications were flimsy, no technical data whatsoever.

Anybody know the output power into 8 ohms? AM/FM sensitivity, Bandwith etc ? Whatever they are it sounded and smelled great;) (incidentally the smaller electrolytics had all leaked.

Maybe I could swap it back a more modern AV receiver heh.

Yes it was a Canadian brand and while the company built everything from mini transistor radios to colour TV sets and won many design awards it seemed to always be on the brink of financial disaster. In the late 1960's Nova Scotia using hefty grants and tax breaks lured the company's manufacturing plant to that province.

The new plant was built in an economically depressed area but its start up was a mess. Poorly trained workers, indifferent quality control, marginal shipping (many items were damaged in transit), inconsistent supply of materials (mahogany often solid not veneers) and parts not to mention much cheaper but better built electronics from overseas ended the venture quickly and resulted in the loss of millions of dollars for the province and the bankruptcy of the company.

Clairtone's avaunt guard designs and advertising were simply not enough to overcome its many limitations.

Gerard
I think that "depressed area" was Stellarton, Nova Scotia. I remember the buzz around town concerning a new "stereo plant ". It didn't last. Many blamed the local workers. Not enough training.

I think that "depressed area" was Stellarton, Nova Scotia. I remember the buzz around town concerning a new "stereo plant ". It didn't last. Many blamed the local workers. Not enough training.

It was indeed, Stellarton. The failure of the was a combination of poor training, finance issues, and poor transport infrastructure.

Gerard

Back
Top Bottom