The cover better than the original

I like Earth, Wind and Fire's cover of "Got to Get You into My Life" more than the original Beatles version.

Carpenters did some covers over their recording span, some of the best I think are in Now and Then, sort of a retro melody. Worth a listen. Anything by the Carpenters is worth a listen though.

Since Stephen Foster has already been mentioned, I'll toss out this cover of Beautiful Dreamer by Raul Malo, I like this even more than the Orbison version.
I guess it's better than the original, can't seem to find any Stephen Foster records...

Wonderful. Really nice.

"Whiskey in the Jar" is a well-known Irish traditional song, set in the southern mountains of Ireland, often with specific mention of counties Cork and Kerry, as well as Fenit, a village in County Kerry. The song is about a Rapparee (Highwayman), who is betrayed by his wife or lover, and is one of the most widely performed traditional Irish songs. It has been recorded by numerous professional artists since the 1950s.
The song first gained wide exposure when the Irish folk band The Dubliners performed it internationally as a signature song, and recorded it on three albums in the 1960s.

The Dubliners - Whiskey in the Jar

Then
Peter, Paul and Mary- Whiskey In The Jar

Then Thin Lizzy
Thin Lizzy - Whiskey In The Jar (official music video)

But I think this one is the best....
Metallica - Whiskey In The Jar [Official Music Video]

NOT better, but GOOD...

Again, NOT better, but interesting (I always enjoy a band I like covering other bands I like)

Last edited:
I'm prefering Richie Havens' acoustic of 'Here Comes the Sun' over the Beatles.

Counting Crows' 'Ghost in You' over Psych Furs.

Peter Case's 'Pair of Brown Eyes' to the Pogues (at least I think the Pogues did it first)

cautiously favoring the Turtles' 'It Ain't Me Babe' over Dylan's he just didn't have the voice for it

Back
Top Bottom