The cover better than the original

James Taylor did a cover of "Seminole Wind", which was written by John Anderson. JT's version was far superior to Anderson.

I wrote this post already once before. It disappeared. It is not the only post of mine that have disappeared recently. :dunno:

James Taylor did a cover of "Seminole Wind", which was written by John Anderson. JT's version was far superior to Anderson.

I wrote this post already once before. It disappeared. It is not the only post of mine that have disappeared recently. :dunno:

JT was a damn rebel. Mmmm Hmmm. None of that here.

Now we'll be the judge.

I like JA's twang...never heard it before.

Last edited:
The original (1927: This is the earliest known recording):

The cover:

I love Dale's version, but I kinda like the original just as much. Has a certain mystique about it.

I did this once before...maybe on a thread I can't find.
My range of music is fairly limited. All apologies.

I have nothing but my own "dwarf experiences" from which to draw. :beatnik:

(((hope DS2000 doesn't see that)))

IMHO...The Clash amped this one way up.

I like this Catfish Blues better than all the ones I'v heard from the many artist who have done it..

OTHMAN WAHABI - CATFISH BLUES (Black Snake Moan)

Interesting. I stopped listening to the original at 1:58...half way through. (sorry)

Dale shortened it to 2:35...perfect.
No sweat... :)
Just wanted to show the original version and what Dick Dale (born Richard Anthony Mansour) did with it.
I had done some reading about him not long ago and discovered that he is of Lebanese descent from his father's side and grew up listening to his father and uncle (a big influence during his early childhood) play old Middle-Eastern folk songs on instruments they had brought with them when they immigrated to America. One of those songs which the men in the family played as relatives belly-danced to was Misirlou, which translated from Turkish means "girl from Egypt".

We learn something every day.

Rachel Nagy !!!

First I've heard of her. Wow !

I'm seeing the Cobras for the 3rd time this coming Saturday in Philadelphia. They are opening for the MC50, which is Wayne Kramer and an all-star band celebrating the 50th year since the release of the MC5's Kick Out the Jams. It should be a down and dirty night of Motor City garage band nastiness! I'm getting too old for this stuff.

At first, I was confused by your comment about being in the subscriber's section, until I looked at my avatar. I had always depended on AK to inform me when it was time to update my subscription, as they had done for many years in the past. I don't even look at my avatar. Today I looked and realized, as you had alluded to, that I was not a subscriber. I guess I better check this out. o_O

Built To Spill's 20 minute version of Cortez The Killer

Google the Youtube video. The good stuff happens after the 10 minute mark.

Original - The incomparable Irma Thomas

Cover - Detroit Cobras, vocal by Rachel Nagy

The cadence seems too hurried on both of these songs, I'd cut the bpm down about 20 and really let the vocals breathe. They cram alot of syllables into a short time frame. Still, these ladies can sing and I do like the Cobras rendition.

I'm catching the Cobras tomorrow night. I'll tell her to slow down. :D

Seriously, the originals of these old R&B and soul songs often sound a little too fast to me. I don't feel that with the Cobras cover.

Plus, I think many old R&B and soul numbers were over-produced with horns and strings and background vocals, when a great song and a great voice is enough. The Drip Drop girls on Irma's original are a good example.

Bumping this old thread because I stumbled across this cover by Freddie King:

Original Top 40 hit:

Just passin' through and noticed there don't seem to be any covers of The Band's "Twilight" mentioned. Perhaps for good reason. But you could do a lot worse than to check out this version by Puss 'N' Boots (one of Nora Jones's collaborations):

Hits me where I live.

Back
Top Bottom