The current state of men`s wardrobes

MaxxVolume

Lunatic Member
Back in my days of being on the road as a sales rep, I always took pride in my appearance, and maintained a pretty good wardrobe. When I look at most guys these days, I feel like I`m looking at Pee Wee Herman, i.e., most of their suits seem to be a size or two too small, which to me, presents a rather awkward picture.
One thing I learned over the years was that it`s more than just simply owning a nice suit, it`s knowing HOW to wear it....

I don´t even own a suit :)

When I´m not at work I wear jeans (or shorts) and a t shirt. :)

I also only own two pairs of shoes. One for the sommer, one for the winter.

edit: typo

Last edited:
I find all the jeans, cargo shorts, and pearl snap shirts (long or short sleeved, per season) I need at the thrift stores.

There is dressing as a gentleman, and dressing as a boy.
Many men today dress as a boy, cargo shorts, Ts, polo shirts and such, year round,

and don't know (or care) about the art of fine dress.
I think a lot of it depends on the circles you run in.

Back in my days of being on the road as a sales rep, I always took pride in my appearance, and maintained a pretty good wardrobe. When I look at most guys these days, I feel like I`m looking at Pee Wee Herman, i.e., most of their suits seem to be a size or two too small, which to me, presents a rather awkward picture.
One thing I learned over the years was that it`s more than just simply owning a nice suit, it`s knowing HOW to wear it....

I had the occasion to wear a nice older suit recently. I feel a bit shallow suggesting that I'm glad it was for a funeral home visit instead of a wedding or reunion. I'm sure the "Stop Making Sense" quips would have been rather tiresome coming from anyone other than the game-show host I saw in the mirror...

There is dressing as a gentleman, and dressing as a boy.
Many men today dress as a boy, cargo shorts, Ts, polo shirts and such, year round,

and don't know (or care) about the art of fine dress.
I think a lot of it depends on the circles you run in.

I like to get my hands dirty so it's jeans and T's for me. I wear nice shoes and keep a button-down collared shirt in the car in case dinner or drinks on-the-fly happens.

I either dress like folkie-era Bob Dylan (boots, Levis, and work shirts) or in a suit (because of my job).

Make sure your suit fits. Yes. Kids wear 'em too tight and old guys wear 'em too loose. I'd rather wear a tailored Chaps suit from Kohls (great value, BTW) than an ill-fitting Canali.

If you are older and you want to look good, it is advisable to adapt just a bit to what looks good now. That means no super-padded shoulders, no blousy shirts, eliminate that "break" on your shoes no matter what your dad taught you, and allow yourself to wear a brown shoe (gasp) every now and then with a blue suit. Black suits should generally be avoided. I have a closet full of crisp, white Lands End, tailored fit, straight collar dress shirts w/ light starch from the local cleaners. Old white shirts become old yellow shirts. Fast.

Here's a cat in a Canali suit. Nice fit.

canali-blue-siena-windowpane-check-suit-classic-fit-product-1-18038347-1-585476431-normal.jpeg

I understand work clothes, I truly do, but there is a peter pan segment that does live in shorts year round - darned if I know where that came from.

My brother owns and runs a 6 bay garage. For him its serious work shoes and blue work uniform type clothes. No ties, and rarely a sport coat.

Lest you think I don't get it, I am a developer/writer at a DoD location.
Clean blue jeans on Casual friday ... on office casual on other days.
My typical work outfit is (nice) black jeans, comfortable shoes, and a button down polo shirt in a pleasing color.
Perhaps a cable-knit sweater on cold days, a short sleeve button down cotton shirt/blouse on hot summer days. I'm a worker Bee, not management.

I did buy a (pants) suit a few years back so I'd have one handy when my Dad passed later that year.
Rented a Tux when my wife won a major award last spring.

But nothing formal in my wardrobe.

Last edited:
I either dress like folkie-era Bob Dylan (boots, Levis, and work shirts) or in a suit (because of my job).

Make sure your suit fits. Yes. Kids wear 'em too tight and old guys wear 'em too loose. I'd rather wear a tailored Chaps suit from Kohls (great value, BTW) than an ill-fitting Canali.

If you are older and you want to look good, it is advisable to adapt just a bit to what looks good now. That means no super-padded shoulders, no blousy shirts, eliminate that "break" on your shoes no matter what your dad taught you, and allow yourself to wear a brown shoe (gasp) every now and then with a blue suit. Black suits should generally be avoided. I have a closet full of crisp, white Lands End, tailored fit, straight collar dress shirts w/ light starch from the local cleaners. Old white shirts become old yellow shirts. Fast.

Here's a cat in a Canali suit. Nice fit.

canali-blue-siena-windowpane-check-suit-classic-fit-product-1-18038347-1-585476431-normal.jpeg
Slacks are too short and tight looking for my taste.

If I had my way I'd wear ARMY fatigues all the time

My wife tells me I dress just like any other 6 year old

I USED to be part of the white, short sleeve and pocket protector crowd but times have changed

My opinion:
Men today seem to dress all the time to play video games
Women dress all the time like they are going on a date

I think there is more than one pic of me on the board and that's how i dress 99.9% of the time but oddly enough I went shopping for a suit about a year ago. I went to Kohls and Dillards and came up empty handed. Zilch and nadda, no 'Men's Wear.'
There is a store that caters to that department but they are more of a men's boutique and prices are way higher than a cat's back.
Around here it looks like Men's Wearhouse and that's a 60 mile round trip.
I maintain there's nothing wrong with having a blazer (sport coat), slacks, tie and shined shoes for when the occasion calls.

I wear pullover shirts, cargo shorts, knee-high anti-embolism stockings, and New Balance shoes.

I have some long pants in the house somewhere. Maybe a button-up shirt or two.

Back
Top Bottom