The current state of men`s wardrobes

monkey suit
31404287-monkey-businessman.jpg

Is it wrong that I dress in shirt and pants that are of the same material? ( white t-shirts in summer and gray in winter, and sweat pants/shorts)

And socks should not draw attention.
Back in the `80s, I had a thing for Coogi sweaters, and they sometimes would throw a pair of their very unique socks into the deal....they had that highly-textured look & feel, just like the sweaters....
(Saved a pair, just for posterity :) )

upload_2018-12-14_20-46-38.png

When I look at most guys these days, I feel like I`m looking at Pee Wee Herman..

Same thing over here in The EU, and worse still: ****ing suits that have a "skin tight" fit, especially @ the trousers, a "look" we called, in Chicago in the 60s & 70s, "skin on a weiner". Not good. The "skin tight" look @ The EU is not limited to business/formal wear, but casual wear as well. @ least in France, but doubtless also in Italia and Espana.

Back in my days of being on the road as a sales rep, I always took pride in my appearance, and maintained a pretty good wardrobe. When I look at most guys these days, I feel like I`m looking at Pee Wee Herman, i.e., most of their suits seem to be a size or two too small, which to me, presents a rather awkward picture.
One thing I learned over the years was that it`s more than just simply owning a nice suit, it`s knowing HOW to wear it....

I agree. besides the suits looking goofy, they look uncomfortable. I prefer my clothes to fit. I'm out of corporate America for some time, prefer khakis to jeans, prefer sport coats to suits, prefer loafers to wing tips. I own my own business so I guess I can wear anything I want, within reason. I always wear a collar, I do wear jeans, never anything sloppy, mostly wear khakis. In my business, (Home Builder) I think it's important to look neat and clean but I won't over dress. If I walk into a potential customer's home, I don't want to ever give them the impression I'm some sort of hot shot. It's a game but it makes a difference. As I get older I prefer comfort to appearance. What anyone thinks about my clothes doesn't bother me one bit.

When I worked in sales, I had an army of ties, dress slacks, suits, shirts, all chosen to match and integrate.

Haven't worn any of that stuff in 8 years.

If I never ever put on a tie again, it'll be too soon. Like being choked by the world's weakest man........all day.

With that said, a quality suit indeed gives a man an edge, and an advantage in the world of business. My old boss, true jackass in every sense of the word, wore the cleanest CUSTOM MADE suits I ever saw.

Knowing what a foolish tool he was, I still found myself in awe when he'd dress up for a big event. Dude looked the part.

He also is worth a fortune, and completely self-made.

Is it wrong that I dress in shirt and pants that are of the same material? ( white t-shirts in summer and gray in winter, and sweat pants/shorts)

On vaca I plan to wear a linen shirt and pants, either white or tan. Maybe a linen sport coat for restaurant dining :cool:... and no, I'm not trying to channel Sonny Crockett :)

When I worked (35 years Boilermakers Local 1, Chicago) I was blue collar dress for success—good quality work clothes from Big Mac, Oshkosh and Carhartt, Redwing 877 boots, a <real> American Bridge hard hat I got working for, you know, American Bridge, and hot mill gloves with the big “don’t **** with me” cuffs from Blue Collar Supply. And a mill jacket.

Shirts and pants were clean every morning but bibs, Carhartt jackets ( the old fashioned 4 button blanket lined one, in brown duck) and mill jackets were washed less frequently. I went through at least one set of Carhartt bibs and jacket and several mill jackets a year; overhead welding, burning and arc gouging eats your clothes up.

In my retired dotage living as a full time RVer I ususally wear 511 tactical pants (very practical and comfortable) and a Columbia sports shirt. Keen shoes or boots and a Tilley hat or a flat cap. I have a pair of Allen Edmunds loafers but little occasion to wear them. No gym shoes, no ball caps—I’m not 8 years old.

Last edited:
I either dress like folkie-era Bob Dylan (boots, Levis, and work shirts) or in a suit (because of my job).

Make sure your suit fits. Yes. Kids wear 'em too tight and old guys wear 'em too loose. I'd rather wear a tailored Chaps suit from Kohls (great value, BTW) than an ill-fitting Canali.

If you are older and you want to look good, it is advisable to adapt just a bit to what looks good now. That means no super-padded shoulders, no blousy shirts, eliminate that "break" on your shoes no matter what your dad taught you, and allow yourself to wear a brown shoe (gasp) every now and then with a blue suit. Black suits should generally be avoided. I have a closet full of crisp, white Lands End, tailored fit, straight collar dress shirts w/ light starch from the local cleaners. Old white shirts become old yellow shirts. Fast.

Here's a cat in a Canali suit. Nice fit.

canali-blue-siena-windowpane-check-suit-classic-fit-product-1-18038347-1-585476431-normal.jpeg

Those pants are like a cheap hotel - no ballroom

When I worked (35 years Boilermakers Local 1, Chicago) I was blue collar dress for success—good quality work clothes from Big Mac, Oshkosh and Carhartt, Redwing 877 boots, a <real> American Bridge hard hat I got working for, you know, American Bridge, and hot mill gloves with the big “don’t **** with me” cuffs from Blue Collar Supply. And a mill jacket.

Shirts and pants were clean every morning but bibs, Carhartt jackets ( the old fashioned 4 button blanket lined one, in brown duck) and mill jackets were washed less frequently. I went through at least one set of Carhartt bibs and jacket and several mill jackets a year; overhead welding, burning and arc gouging eats your clothes up.

In my retired dotage living as a full time RVer I ususally wear 511 tactical pants (very practical and comfortable) and a Columbia sports shirt.
My father, the opera buff/singer, was also in the union, and spatter holes were part of his work wear. He taught industrial welding at the trade school and did industrial welding during the summer breaks. I did not follow his footsteps, having my own interests but wear his award ring for 30 years at the school.

For years I dressed "normally". though with a tendency to have some decent threads so I at least did not embarrass myself when the situation required a bit of decorum. As a general contractor, generally jeans and t shirts were the norm. A few years ago I was in New Orleans on vacation and my wife and I wandered into an eclectic store and I was taken with a couple of fairly exotic shirts. Being on vacation I did a WTF and bought them, never having spent near $100 on a short sleeve shirt.

I still wear the shirts, they are like wearing colorful modern art. When women on the street and female acquaintances started telling me how good I Iooked, I scratched my chin and thought that maybe there is something to this. So began my collection of interesting and generally very colorful shirts, jackets and hats. My "go out" shirt collection now numbers around 40, sales help with the affordability angle. In addition, I lost most of my hair and shaving it all off and wearing hats was the best of the options, so I now have about 20 hats for different looks. I rarely wear suits, sometimes a sport coat is ok. And I will not get started on the shoes. I usually wear a $5 digital watch from CVS.

So now I am a local fashion maven, friends always want to see what outfit I am wearing. At this stage in my life and at my age, 70, very interesting to to be in that position and have women flirt with me way more than when I was younger. I am very married and my wife is is ok, even flattered, with the attention. I can wear skinny jeans and not embarrass myself. Normal attire is still jeans and a shirt. Clothes do make a difference. Who'd a thunk It?

I do not take any of this seriously and I laugh about it, but it certainly has opened some doors and wonderful new friends have emerged. And I have a lot of fun with it, and I actually feel a certain responsibility to "perform". Next week there is a sparking wine/champagne party that I need to prepare for. A very interesting thread thanks to the OP.

On vaca I plan to wear a linen shirt and pants, either white or tan. Maybe a linen sport coat for restaurant dining :cool:... and no, I'm not trying to channel Sonny Crockett :)

100 percent linen works in a shirt. And jackets. The shirt will be spent by the end of the night, but you will look sharp. Linen pants will expand in the seat and get baggy almost the second you put them on. Look for a linen blend for slacks. I have a khaki poplin suit from L.L. Bean Signature for summer weddings and less formal hot weather business occasions. Rep tie, crisp white shirt, and a NATO band on my watch and I look smart.

100 percent linen works in a shirt. And jackets. The shirt will be spent by the end of the night, but you will look sharp. Linen pants will expand in the seat and get baggy almost the second you put them on. Look for a linen blend for slacks. I have a khaki poplin suit from L.L. Bean Signature for summer weddings and less formal hot weather business occasions. Rep tie, crisp white shirt, and a NATO band on my watch and I look smart.

Thanks for the tip on the pants :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom