The DAC in the LG V20. If there's a better sounding phone I'd be surprised

sanford12

Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff
Just got a pair of these for the wife and I. Been fooling with mine it's on the house wifi for now. The DAC on this is supposed to be really good and you know what? It is. It detects what the headphone impedance is and adjust accordingly. Using the Sennheiser HD 202's and it sounds seriously good, amazingly good. Needed new phones for the switch to another carrier and the DAC played no small part in the choice and it doesn't hurt that it has 3 microphones a camera with amazing manual controls and the sound is icing on the cake. It's Audiokarma worthy.

Last edited:
I have a g6 and it sounds amazing. Supposedly the v30 is even better. The g6 operates all the cans I own with ease and I never use my pocket amp any more.

The DAC is the V20 is up there with the latest Fiio devices and similar portable music players. The audio output stage sounds excellent too. The V20 also has the advantage of a microSD slot so i have 200GB installed and most of my music collection. Another neat feature, especially for travelers is the battery can be swapped with a button press.

Avoid t-mobile version if you can help it; I have that and the OS is really slowed down by the tmobile software.

Yep, its on my radar. Currently have the G5 and there is nothing wrong with it so I am waiting for the sales to start on the V20 or V30. I hope someone that has one of these can do a video and post it to Glenns thread over in the speaker section.

I love/hate my LG v20, but I had the v10 (replaced under warranty 3x), and my wife has the g5 (replaced under warranty 2x). LG phones have major heat issues. I've had my v20 for 6 months now, I'm expecting issues once it heats up again next summer.

Our phones go into boot loop during the summer months just from carrying them about in the Vegas heat. I've stuck with LG specifically because of the DAC, and amp. I'd jump ship in a second if anyone else offered the same.

Last edited:
Although the IE isn't as hot as Vegas, it gets pretty hot here and none of my LGs have every gotten hot. So sorry to hear about that! My wife's Samsung's are always having issues but like a Apple user she is stuck on their GUI. I had a g5 but the trade-in deal made my g6 cheaper at the time. Would like a v30 but will see what the g7 has in store.

The phone doesn't physically get hot. Just at some point during the hot months it'll restart on it's own, and get stuck in a boot loop where it keeps restarting. If I turn it off and leave it in the sun for 30 minutes, it'll start working normally again for few minutes before repeating. This is a known issue with LG phones going back to the G4 that they still haven't fixed. Just search "lg bootloop", and see all the models that have, and continue to be affected by it. A class action suit was filed for this issue just earlier this year.

Funny. My LG Nexus 5x died of bootloop. Fingers crossed for the V20!

I changed my usage habits on my last v10, and it lived the longest, was still fine when I traded it in for v20. Don't ever windshield mount, and/or use GPS, don't use a case, don't use in sunlight.

The phone doesn't physically get hot. Just at some point during the hot months it'll restart on it's own, and get stuck in a boot loop where it keeps restarting. If I turn it off and leave it in the sun for 30 minutes, it'll start working normally again for few minutes before repeating. This is a known issue with LG phones going back to the G4 that they still haven't fixed. Just search "lg bootloop", and see all the models that have, and continue to be affected by it. A class action suit was filed for this issue just earlier this year.

So it doesn't work when its hot out, but leaving it in the sun fixes it?

:)

So it doesn't work when its hot out, but leaving it in the sun fixes it?

:)

It doesn't make sense, but basically the heat causes the issue to start. Heating it up to the extreme, or freezing it can get it to boot into the OS for a short time, but that only works a couple of times. Not enough to even backup much.

I haven't heard of the V20 and boot loop.
Avoid t-mobile version if you can help it; I have that and the OS is really slowed down by the tmobile software.
I've got the unlocked Verizon version but we'll use them on the T-mobile. 30 bucks apiece tax included for unlimited everything. That's 18 bucks better than our Virgin Mobile plan that's not as good and I'm hoping they still have Netflix for life included

i picked up my unlocked Verizon V20 on the secondary market and I really like the large clear screen, camera, and audio. In fact I recorded a live show at a club with it and it did a very credible job.
There is a big however, however. Reception is very poor, my wife's Motorola consistently gets a better signal and her calls do not drop. The phone is almost useless at home. This is a known problem as a search will confirm.
Even though the sim card and other settings were changed, the problem persists. I will give tech support another try, but I imagine I will be eating this phone and buying another.
No bootloop problem, yet.

i picked up my unlocked Verizon V20 on the secondary market and I really like the large clear screen, camera, and audio. In fact I recorded a live show at a club with it and it did a very credible job.
There is a big however, however. Reception is very poor, my wife's Motorola consistently gets a better signal and her calls do not drop. The phone is almost useless at home. This is a known problem as a search will confirm.
Even though the sim card and other settings were changed, the problem persists. I will give tech support another try, but I imagine I will be eating this phone and buying another.
No bootloop problem, yet.
I work inside buildings that block or severely attenuate cellular signals. I get around this by using Wi-Fi calling. Works fine on the V20. Really nice phone!

I changed my usage habits on my last v10, and it lived the longest, was still fine when I traded it in for v20. Don't ever windshield mount, and/or use GPS, don't use a case, don't use in sunlight.
I have a dash mount for my phones, but have already use a cap to cover them from sunlight...even more old iphone would shutdown if I didn't use the cap when in warmer climates.

I'm in South Florida, where we had a blast furnace summer this year. No problem with the V20. In addition, along with the heat we get just ridiculous humidity.

Back
Top Bottom