The Death of the Stereo Receiver

Fair enough.
I'm not a jazz purist, but the term 'contemporary' jazz just seems like a reach. I take the term contemporary as dictionaries define it.

It's a term I've heard used before, nicer sounding than "fluff Jazz" or "Jazz pop". The great thing about Breezin, none of it's "disco Jazz". :thumbsdown:

As of October, 2017.

Nielsen, the data analytics company that tracks US entertainment consumption, reveals in its just-released annual Music 360 report that radio is still the number-one way people are discovering new music. What’s more, the group’s Radio’s All Dimension Audience Research reports also shows the percentage of Americans aged 12 and older listening to broadcast radio on a weekly basis has stayed relatively steady from 1970 to today.

Clearly radio, Probably mostly FM is still a very popular entertainment format.
---------------------------

But there are many more ways today to listen to these stations in our home than through a stereo receiver. Now I'm listening to WCSX from Detroit MI through a website on my laptop feeding a Bluetooth speaker using it's analog jack. In the garage or on the backyard deck I'll use it's Bluetooth option with my Android phone.

Most folks want surround sound for their families to enjoy their HDTV's. So a very popular option for them is the AVR. Although their FM tuners are generally not up to the average vintage stereo receiver's, The FM tuner section of both my Onkyo 575x and new Yamaha RX-A770 are more than up to the task for the average consumer.

For those who don't want the complexity or clutter of a room full of speakers and sub's used with a AVR, And at the same time want better sound for TV watching, Bluetooth sound bars and sound bases a fine choice. They can listen to radio through the FM tuner in some smartphones, or from internet radio stations.

That doesn't leave much room for Stereo receiver's. Yet, Surprisingly there still making and selling plenty of them.

Excellent! I have to state that all of the new music that I have bought, I heard on the radio. That would be from bands like Beck, Fleet Foxes, Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse and so on.There is some proof to back up the Nielsen data from a Nielson. :)o

I use my tuners on a regular basis. I guess we're lucky here because we have a community radio station where the DJs play whatever the hell they want, and some of the shows are outstanding. Here's a link to the programming: https://radioboise.us/programming/shows/ My favorite is High Wild & Free on Friday nights. We also have an excellent classical station, and if we only had a good jazz station, my FM life would be complete. :)

I also lament the demise of non- corporate radio, and the sense of community it brought. I guess computer/phone social media supposedly fill that void, but I just can't get on board with that.

Here's a crazy story: When I was a little kid in the mid 70's, my pet parakeet flew out the door and was gone. My mom called the local radio station and they made the announcement. Some lady across town found the bird, heard the announcement, and I got my bird back!

Once you acknowledge it's smooth jazz Breezin' works better. As for Jazz from the 70's, how about, John Abercrombie, Timeless. It's electrified but definitely not smooth jazz.
That makes sense.

I think I lean more towards stuff like Woody Shaw for 70s jazz, or stuff that leans back towards the past and swings, or has more of a soul jazz feel.

I’m cool with jazz that is smooth, less so with with smooth-jazz.
Same for blues that rocks vs blues-rock.
If that makes any sense.

Last edited:
I use my tuners on a regular basis. I guess we're lucky here because we have a community radio station where the DJs play whatever the hell they want, and some of the shows are outstanding. Here's a link to the programming: https://radioboise.us/programming/shows/ My favorite is High Wild & Free on Friday nights. We also have an excellent classical station, and if we only had a good jazz station, my FM life would be complete. :)

I also lament the demise of non- corporate radio, and the sense of community it brought. I guess computer/phone social media supposedly fill that void, but I just can't get on board with that.

Here's a crazy story: When I was a little kid in the mid 70's, my pet parakeet flew out the door and was gone. My mom called the local radio station and they made the announcement. Some lady across town found the bird, heard the announcement, and I got my bird back!
That’s awesome.

Sort of related, but a few months back we visited a relative, and their neighbour had a couple of budgies living in their backyard.
Somehow they got loose, or were let go. Nobody had a clue where they came from.
No way would they survive a winter here, so as we do, lol, they ended up coming to our place a couple of months later.

And they are a mating pair.
What started as rescuing two of them, has turned out into rescuing, um, more than two of them.

QUOTE="KrisM, post: 12010510, member: 81957"]That makes sense.

I think I lean more towards stuff like Woody Shaw for 70s jazz, or stuff that leans back towards the past and swings, or has more of a soul jazz feel.

I’m cool with jazz that is smooth, less so with with smooth-jazz.
Same for blues that rocks vs blues-rock.
If that makes any sense.[/QUOTE]

I've gotta' say I agree, jazz that is smooth is not necessarily smooth jazz. John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman is smooth but it's definitely not smooth jazz.

No receiver in my collection yet but would like to add one someday. There is something intoxicating about a vintage receiver all lit up. As long as there is an FM signal out there I will likely make use of it at least for a music background when I’m not really listening closely. Case in point, while working at home all day I had a Marantz 125 playing through my office system. I’m lucky enough to have enough stations to switch between classic rock, Jazz & soft rock for some variety. Now on the back porch with an adult beverage streaming Spotify. If I get serious later, will move to the basement later and spin some vinyl. Variety and options are always a good thing!

Is smooth jazz elevator music? If so, I prefer jazz that is smooth. :D Gotta admit though, I dig George Benson.

Smooth Jazz= Kenny G. Not quite elevator music, but definitely background music.

The "cool" Jazz era, beginning in the late 1940s, is smooth and melodic. The quintessential album that started this style, Birth of the Cool, by someone named Davis. I think his first name was Miles or something?
Arguably not only one of the giants of Jazz for his talent, but for also expanding the genre. From the swing era to the early fusion period is where most of the real Jazz comes from.
Even in the smooth or pop Jazz of the '70s and on, there were a number of performers who are miles (pun intended) ahead of the Kenny G.s and Boney James. The Yellowjackets The Spin is a Jazz album in the true sense of the word while being in the style influenced by the "pop" Jazz.

Personally, I use term GRP Jazz to describe most of the '80s and '90s decent smooth Jazz. I'm sure some of you know exactly what I mean.;)

I don't claim to be a Jazz expert in any sense of the word. It's only the music I've loved for the last almost thirty years. It's a genre that has branched out in so many different directions due to the experimental nature. Some work, some don't, but it's always interesting and it's music you listen to and feel. Stay cool, man.:beatnik:

Last edited:
What does GRP stand for? And how does this fit into your flow chart?

GRP was a label started by Dave Grusin and Larry Rosen for the exclusive release of albums in the ambiguous Jazz/pop/R&B fusion realm. Many artists who are somewhat well known, The Rippingtons and others who are not, Deborah Henson-Conant who played the harp. That's right, full size harp Jazz. (Yes, I have a ton of GRP CDs)

Head Hunters, early fusion. If we're talking Hancock, Maiden Voyage would be a better example of his work. Well at least you didn't pick Future Shock. :confused:
Do-do-de-do-do... (Rockit)

Last edited:
Wait... "The Death of the Stereo Receiver"? Ummm.. 1995 called and it wants its headline back. :)

But seriously.... there are plenty of brand new receivers that are only stereo. Most are low end or entry level models but some, like the Outlaw 2150 are pretty sophisticated. I owned a 2150 and it is a great sounding stereo receiver with the advantage of a separate bass management system that is perfect for a sub/sat setup and a preamp mode in case you want more power than the internal amp.

Wait... "The Death of the Stereo Receiver"? Ummm.. 1995 called and it wants its headline back. :).

Well then, hop in your tardis and take it back to them... Whenever I see one of your posts, that damn Dalek voice pops into my head.:mad:

Until I read the posted Nielsen stats I was going to state that I didn't see how AM/FM tuners are commercially viable in gear. Oops.

However I do find the internet to be a much more convenient delivery method for what I used to turn to NPR and Philly's 88.5 WXPN for. Do you have a set of shows you really like on public radio? There's podcasts of it. You don't have to worry about missing it. You can download it to your device and listen to it on your own terms. I can almost map out my whole week M-F with podcasts now. I rarely even touch AM/FM in the car anymore.

When my wife and I were just dating she wanted to buy a stereo. I had her buy the Yamaha R-S201 (and gave her some speakers). It's the cheapest two channel receiver you can still buy new. I didn't recommend it because of the radio, rather it's the bare bones nature of it, the remote, and once you listen to it, the bang for the buck it provides. In fact, we still have it. It drives my Klipsch KG2's, helped by a 10 inch powered sub. My turntable is plugged into it and for all intents and purposes it is now my main system. My Musical Paradise is paired with my computer and is primarly for headphones. I know the Yamaha isn't the best, but if you're strapped for cash and want a remote, it's amazing what it can do.

Back
Top Bottom