1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

The definition of serendipity.

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by transmaster, Sep 18, 2018.

1. transmaster

transmaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

It is funny how things work out. In the WASAPI Sound settings in Windows 10 you can enable Stereo, 5.1, 7.1, Dolby Atmos, and some interesting headphone options which only work if you headphones are plugged directly into your computer. If there is no surround encoding detected in playback from the PC My Yamaha shows all speakers active except the center channel speaker. I have Blu-ray stuff with very loud atom bomb level ka-booms. What I noticed is I have never had the Yamaha shut down with a “check speaker wire” error on restart.
    With this in mind I went into the Yamaha’s settings and disabled my center channel speaker and started playing “Jupiter Ascending”, Man of Steel, and the Marvel movie at high volume levels. Not one shut down. There is some issue with my center channel speaker. The funny thing is it sounds better without this speaker, a Polk Audio AM1582-A CS1 Series II.

I have been trying to track down a service manual for this RX-A770. Like so many other companies Yamaha is not releasing it to the public. I understand there is a key sequence on startup that puts this AVR into a diagnostic mode. There if you have a check speaker shutdown it will tell you which speaker.

7C241584-3644-4937-AE2A-4F6109292C10.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. kaplang

kaplang Works for me ! Subscriber

I went to school with a girl named Seren Dipity

3. Putterman

Putterman Super Member

An obvious thing would be to switch to a different speaker, which can be any spare speaker and see if anything happens. If you don't have any spares put the Polk in as a rear speaker.

4. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

Accidental combination that gives a unexspected positive result.

transmaster likes this.