The detail of Sansui AU Alpha (X701-X711-607DR)

SansuiJavier

About 5 years ago I bought a 551 whose sound reminded me of my first Sansui, a simple A40 that my mother bought in 1981 and we had it at home.
Since that day I have been looking for the best sound (or the closest to how I felt the music with 14 years), I have gone through very good series (555,555A, 777,999, G series and others) thinking that the older Sansui machines offered a Better sound ..... until I got an alpha.

It is true that almost all Sansui sounds very good, it is not true that older ones sound better than newer ones.
The Alpha sound strongly, in great detail, perfect.
This afternoon I compared the X701, the X711 and the 607DR. I like them all, but they do not sound the same.
The X701 has the typical detail of the Alpha, very balanced, but I miss some more strength in the bass. The X711 improves in this aspect, and in general is splendid in everything, it follows closely the 607DR, which I like most of the three, more detail, more space, very powerful bass. All three, in my opinion, have excellent sounds. I usually listen to the music at low volume (at 9 o'clock on the clock). In the Alpha you hear every instrument, the air of the clarinet, the breath of the singer, everything is details, it is incredible. This detail is what I was looking for and is in the Alpha series. Here are some pictures inside and outside..

Sansui AU alpha 607DRa.jpg Sansui CD alpha 701i.jpg 3 Sansui Alpha.jpg Sansui AU X701.jpg Sansui AU X701a.jpg Sansui Au X711.jpg Sansui AU X711a.jpg Sansui AU alpha 607DR.jpg 3 Sansui alpha b.jpg

Are you agree?

Nice review, but we can't decide which one is better. It is everyone personal taste, some like the older vintage sansui and some like the alpha series. I have tried both and i still keep going to my older Sansui AU 7900 which i like best.

It is everyone personal taste, some like the older vintage sansui and some like the alpha series. I have tried both and i still keep going to my older Sansui AU 7900 which i like best.
Yes, it is subjective, it also depends on the type of music, or the state of the amplifier (in my case, I have not heard a Sansui from the first series totally restored, maybe that's why I like the alpha more), I like how the 777 sounds , The 555 and the 5900, but it is the background silence, the detail, the instruments, what I love the alpha series ... I also tell you, I would like to hear a sansui from the 70 completely restored

I have not tried them with the same speakers yet. The AU-G99X is running the ADS L1290 II and the AU-X711 is running the RSL Elans.

I very much like the sound of the AU-G99X. I am hoping my AU-719 sounds as good after I restore it, or it will be tough putting it back in the main system.

Rob

AU-X901... good enough for me. :)

The X901 (X701 too, so I've been told) does lack 'a little' in the bass compared to an AU-717, which is a 'War Horse' in sound, like a 'live stage' concert, but the X901 still has plenty of bass and plenty of depth too.. no problem, sounds fantastic, at least, to me! Hope it lasts forever.

Last edited:
I very much like the sound of the AU-G99X. I am hoping my AU-719 sounds as good after I restore it, or it will be tough putting it back in the main system.
This weekend I will compare the G99X with the X711, maybe I have not dedicated time to the G99X, regarding the 719, its sound is even better than the 717, except for the quality of construction, which is slightly lower

Yes, my AU-719 was my main amp for years. All original. Then one day I powered it up and POP, then into protection it went.
I will rebuild it when I get a chance. In the mean time, the AU-G99X has been a fine substitute.

I've had an AU-517 and have an AU-717, but it needs a rebuild as well. The glue took it's toll.

Nice CD player and tuner, by the way. Wish I could find a TU-711 for a reasonable price.

Rob

There is one on US Ebay as well for more than that, but it is not in acceptable condition for me. Also too much $$$

Rob

I had a 907 imos limited. And currently its with a cousin.
I now have a d707x (aud11II ).
I cant seem to judge who wins in detail. But my bet is on 707x.Its not an alpha . But according to the heap of knowledge here its the predecessor of the alphas. X balanced . Splendid detail. Superb soundstaging. Great detail in the bass that i found wanting in my alpha.
I seem to prefer the 130 watter 707x over my alpha 907 imos limited. Just never compared em neck to neck.

Back
Top Bottom