The Devil Makes Three - Do Wrong Right

AlleyKat

The Devil Makes Three
Do Wrong Right
April, 2009
Milan Records
Genre -????? ragtime/folk/rockabilly/bluegrass/punk/jug band/gypsy jazz/country

I don't even remember how I found them, they are one of those "best bands you never heard of" groups. From the moment I heard the first cut of their S/T first release, I was hooked:yes:. With only three members (no drummer), they manage to make intricate,fast moving, and, startingly unique music. They are primarily an acoustic band, featuring great three part hamony, finger style guitar, banjo, fiddle and amazing stand-up bass. The band consists of Pete Bernhard (guitar/vocals), Lucia Turino (upright bass) and Cooper McBean (guitar). They are not only three excellent musicians, the tight interplay of the group makes all of them better.

Their fourth release, Do Wrong Right, marks the first time the band has included (sparingly) electric guitar and pedal steel. They continue to provide fast paced, feel good tunes with wry and sardonic lyrics.."the world is a car and you're the crash test dummy."

Their music is an incredible amalgram of so many genres and styles that it's hard, if not impossible, to fit them into a specific genre. On Do Wrong Right, the band takes Statesboro Blues to such a different place that I had to dig out my Allman Brothers to see if was the same song. On other cuts, you hear the spirits of Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, and even Django Rheinhardt spuuring the band on to new places with old familiar influences. Stand out tracks include the busting out of the starting gates first track, "All Hail", "Workingman's Blues" and the foot stomping, get up and move "Aces and Twos." There simply isn't a bad track on the album:thmbsp:.

Visit the band's MySpace page and you'll get hooked too!

Saw them live for the first time last night. Trying to find any of their CDs here. We moved in June.

Back
Top Bottom