The Dr. is in and the verdict is "use it or lose it"!!!!

WaynerN

Addicted Member
I recently acquired a Total Gym for I felt that age was doing me in. While I am enjoying the revitalization, I am also realizing the "universal" truth that seems to affect everything. That is where the "use it or lose it" motto comes in.

IMG_1911.JPG

If we didn't move our legs during a long journey, they would stiffen up. The same goes for any other part of our body. Keep all the parts moving and limber and all is reasonably well.

Guess what, the same goes for our equipment. Stale knob or switch movement will eventually mean trouble. Volume controls move, but the balance control is often never touched, nor are bass/treble controls, tape monitors, even speaker driver pots.

Just like our bodies need to get energized and moved around to keep fit, so do these mechanical controls on our electronics. I'm thinking once a week, every button and knob needs to see some action. Rotation of knobs, activation of switches and even some movement of interconnects and speaker connectors are in order.

It's time to get fit! (I experienced this effect this afternoon, the motivation of this thread).

Wayner

I couldn't agree more with using the switches and knobs just because they're there. It literally cleans 'em up inside a little. When I do it I'll range a switch like 50 times slowly.
Excellent post Wayner

... and to stress the fitness point, do all those adjustments while you're actually using the equipment and not just fiddling knobs, right? ;-}

One key component in any successful home fitness program. Do NOT put the stuff where you can't see it. Tucked into a basement corner or closet, and it'll just collect dust.

Muscle conditioning is important, and equally important is connective tissue as some suggested. I may take years to constrict and stiffen up. So, s-t-r-e-t-c-h!

Q

Muscle conditioning is important, and equally important is connective tissue as some suggested. I may take years to constrict and stiffen up. So, s-t-r-e-t-c-h!

And worth mentioning, once it's gone, you'll have to work a LOT harder getting it back than you would just keeping it in the first place. Just had a knee replaced that had been giving me grief for years, and the hardest part of recovery was addressing the years of neglect.

My motto, "The more you do, the more you CAN do."

giphy.gif

My mantra is if I can't do it today, I damn well will do it eventually, and the sooner the better.

I recently acquired a Total Gym for I felt that age was doing me in. While I am enjoying the revitalization, I am also realizing the "universal" truth that seems to affect everything. That is where the "use it or lose it" motto comes in.

View attachment 1418022

If we didn't move our legs during a long journey, they would stiffen up. The same goes for any other part of our body. Keep all the parts moving and limber and all is reasonably well.

Guess what, the same goes for our equipment. Stale knob or switch movement will eventually mean trouble. Volume controls move, but the balance control is often never touched, nor are bass/treble controls, tape monitors, even speaker driver pots.

Just like our bodies need to get energized and moved around to keep fit, so do these mechanical controls on our electronics. I'm thinking once a week, every button and knob needs to see some action. Rotation of knobs, activation of switches and even some movement of interconnects and speaker connectors are in order.

It's time to get fit! (I experienced this effect this afternoon, the motivation of this thread).

Wayner
Good for you I’m 27 and need special knee braces to do anything. High intensity training was my only method, maybe wear some sort of extra knee support so this dosnt happen to you .
I’m also about to start doing cardio again since I just got the braces , I been lifting at home can’t sffl gym membership.

Back
Top Bottom