The Dual delema, parts units getting fixed....Great

stereofisher

Music forever
Subscriber
Picked a nice Dual 1219 with a broken speed control. Thought the 1229's would fit. They are different. Found out too late and ended with two parts turntables off Eprey. Got a 1229 with no base or headshell. Cosmetically nice and no broken. Had the frozen speed selector and the usual dried out grease. Used the mint base and dust cover off the 1219. Really nice unit. The second is a 1219. The end of the arm was broken. I kept looking at it in the picture and the little circuit board in the arm was intact. When I got it the arm tube was not damaged or bent! One screw underneath the end of the arm and the broken piece was off. I have a junk 1229 with a good arm. Forgot I had to unsolder the wires to get it one. Pulled the wires completely out, put the replacement end of the arm on, pulling the wires through. Resoldered and it worked with no hum. So, part Dual number two is closed to done. Needs the motor cleaned and oiled. While at it I will replace the steurepimple. Still have the other 1219 plus a ratty 1229 that spent too many years in a wet basement. Couldn't get the motor apart replaced, broke the on off, replaced. Rotten wires in the arm. Rewired. Has a wicked hum and one channel cuts out. Hate to junk it, but cosmetically it's not great. Once again too many Dual's. Fixing the broken arm on the 1219 was a little hard but rewarding. The ratty 1229 taught me what to expect. Once again, the 1219/1229 series sound great when gone over.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 22
The knobs are different. Chassis cut-outs are different. Even the plastic cam can be different. Bet you didn't know that the dimension of the part of the magnesium headshell that plops down into the arm rest was changed as well.

Yeah, Seth I also found that there are different versions of 1219. You have mentioned before. I have three versions. A customer's bought in Germany 1219. Multi voltage with the Dual built base and cover. I have what looks like an early 1219? The gear that moves everything is blue. Never seen on of these. The paddle the stuerpimple rides on is different than my later 1219. The later one has a paddle like a 1229. The height adjust is different the early is hidden and the later one is like my 1229. A lot of history there! Thanks for the tips Seth!

Eric, you still owe me a visit. Call me in a few weeks. Everything here has been put on hold, as my G.F. got sick and died on me two weeks ago tonight.

image.jpeg Seth, sorry for your loss! I miss my grand parents and my parents. Dad loved,the Beethoven symphonies. Wish he was here today to listen on the system's I have. My Beethoven collection has become quite extensive over the years. Four box sets with different conductors.

You should write a book on the different versions of say the 1219s. Can't keep the latest 1229 no room. Found a buyer. Hate to let it go. It cleaned up nicely! Thought of you the other day fixing a washer. Liked the customer's pet pictured

Back
Top Bottom