The Exposure Thread - Welcome Exposure Fans!

Discussion in 'British Audio' started by Bigerik, May 4, 2013.

1. Bigerik

Bigerik AK Subscriber Subscriber

As Exposure is one of those somewhat overlooked audio brands, at least around these parts, I figured we needed a thread to to celebrate John Farlowe and Tony Brady's work. I myself am new to Exposure, and was blown away when I had a chance to listen to a 3010S2 recently. I did a little research, and found Art Dudleys rave review of the 2010S (which is the cheapest amp in Stereophile's Class A), and just had to learn more. Exposure does seem to fly under the radar somewhat, and even tests are not that readily available.

So, if there are any Exposure fans on AK, lets see your gear, or the gear you are planning on getting.

bluemooze likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. RayW

RayW Parrothead with a badge Staff Member Super Mod

Whew! Glad you're talking about the audio company. I was concerned enough to turn off images when clicking the link for this thread. ;)

I haven't had the pleasure of listening to their stuff but I really like the minimalist looks.

3. Bigerik

That is a very scary thought. A thread full of Middle Aged AKers exposing themselves would likely turn me off audio altogether.

4. Barncats

Barncats Well-Known Member

I had a full Exposure setup for a bunch of years and adored it. XIII phono stage, XXI preamp, Super XVIII power amp, and the CD player (which I do not think even had a number . . . even though it's a digital device! ;-)

All of this was what I might call "Farlowe era" equipment from the 90s, all of it in black, before ownership changed and they went to offering silver as a finish.

These made for a truly satisfying chain of electronics, driving Spendor BC-1s and SP-1s, J. M. Reynaud Trentés, and Reynaud Offrandes over the years I had it. Rhythmically "on" in the best ways without being harsh, and unfailingly musical. Phono source was a Well Tempered Classic with Dynavector XX-1. The power am only put out something like 75 wpc but I never felt that it was running out of gas.

The CD player was very impressive for the money. At one point I made an extensive study of Linn Genki, Linn Ikemi, and Naim CD-5 (is that the right model number? I hope so) which was eventually written up in Listener. I came away from that thinking that the Naim and the Exposure were the most engaging and satisfying *for my particular tastes* and *for me* had the most musical rightness and flow. One analogy I made about the Ikemi was that it was like working with an 8x10 view camera -- the images one can produce with that camera are incredibly detailed and beautiful, but it is difficult and slow to work with it. Not what I would call spontaneous. The Exposure and Naim players gave a wonderful sense of nimbleness to playback, while still retaining much of the detail that the Ikemi offered -- perhaps like using a very good quality 35mm camera such as a Leica or Nikon. As I remember the Genki was not even in the same league as the other three. And of course the Exposure was considerably less expensive than the Naim.

Some years later I departed audio for a while, and sold all my Exposure gear. Then when I came back, I moved to tube amplification (Audiomat) and a CEC belt drive CD player, while still using Reynaud speakers. This has been my main system for the last decade -- I already mentioned in another thread in the British forum that I'm using a Sugden Bijou CDP-pre-power amp in another part of the house, have had them for maybe ten years and like them a lot.

I look back on my time with the Exposure gear with great pleasure and fondness, and would recommend this brand to anyone. My friend Jim had older Exposure XVI monoblock amps and they were incredibly powerful.

For perhaps a year I also had the use of a Super XV integrated with built-in phono stage and that was also a great piece. Reminiscent of the Sugden integrateds in the sense that you get a whole lot of performance for the money spent. I do not know the newer Exposure equipment so cannot comment on that -- all of my experience was with 90s vintage gear.

One caveat -- you need to use Deltron plugs for speaker connections -- at least this was true with the 1990s equipment -- they felt this was preferable to the standard 5-way terminals. I had a biwire setup out of the Super XVIII using Exposure speaker cable, which was just plain ol' brown cabling, very heavy gauge, kinda like really large lamp cord.

In closing I'll say that the best thing about the Exposure stuff I owned was that it was dead simple and unpretentious, yet always musical. Almost no controls (no balance knob, for example -- which was a demerit according to my colleague Rob Doorack), but hey, you just turn it on and immediately get lost in the music.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  5. Bigerik

What a great write up! Just what I was hoping for and more. Thanks for sharing your impressions on this little known, but wonderful company.

6. Terry Duffy

Terry Duffy New Member

I just purchased an Explosure 2010s2D intergrated amp. It came without a remote control. I need help from someone who owns a 2010s2D who will tell me the model printed on their remote. I have found a few on the UK ebay but can't tell if they will work with this model. Thanks in advance for your help.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. StuartB

StuartB AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a 3010 s2D. The remote is a HS 102. I also have an Exposure 3010 s2 CDP. The remote for it is HS 101. They both work with both units.

In reviving the thread, I love these Exposure units. They have all the attributes mentioned earlier. They sound exquisite, look understated and elegant.

For me, just like the Harbeth speakers, these are the last stop for me. From here I will focus on more music, tweaking my front end and adding a DAC for computer based music. I would like to consider the new Exposure DAC but it is a bit expensive at this point.

Good luck tracking down a remote. You might try Gene Rubin, he is an established Exposure dealer or Track down the US distributor. Can’t remember his name but he is in the Atlanta area. Gene is a great guy.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  8. StuartB

StuartB AK Subscriber Subscriber

I corrected my earlier post I have both the HS 101 and the HS 102. Pretty much the same functions but different sizes. The 102 is smaller..

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  9. Terry Duffy

Terry Duffy New Member

Thanks for the replies and info. I found I could buy a remote direct from Exposure on the British ebay for $40.00 but it would not control all funtions. I decided to purchase a new one from them for $90.00 including shipping. It is and HS3. Thanks again. Happy we have this thread. Terry