The final death spiral of Pioneer?

The Brits seem to be on a roll with letting their hallmark companies be bought out by Indian conglomerates. Land Rover, Jaguar, Tetley tea....

As far as Pioneer, it's a shame, but I always leaned towards Marantz and Technics back in the day (except for car audio). Happy to see the later making high grade equipment today (Technics reference class demos at the RMAF this year were amazing!). That said, I'd love to own a vintage full SPEC system.

Yes, Technics is back, but instead of their tables costing a few hundred bucks, they now cost a few thousand bucks. Easy to hide dirt under the rug when you can get 10 times the amount in just a few short years. Of course, who doesn't have a turntable that costs thousands of dollars now days (less cartridge, etc.). In 2007. I bought a Technics SL1200MKII for around $550. Later, I bought an opened box 2010 Technics model SL1210MK5 for $999. I guess the handwriting was on the wall.

here's a side of the pioneer name that is still very much alive and well,and like the name they have pioneered the digital side of dj equipment to the point their professional range toppers are pretty much industry standard in clubs,studio's and radio stations around the world just like the technics 1200/1200mrk2 turntable was before the dj world went digital around the year 2000.all a dj has to do nowadays is rock up with a couple usb sticks and some head phones and their ready to play.no more lugging heavy record bags around.i own a couple of the now discontinued cdj 800's and their very well built and sounding cd players.their pro mixer range is pretty outstanding also.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_DJ
https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-us/product/

Last edited:
Sound system in our GMC is labelled Pioneer so that business is probably the main product, already being made in China, and not real profitable even so. Always had really good performance and reliability with Pioneer equipment.

Would be sad to see Pioneer go the way of the dodo bird, but with consumer preferences what they are these days (smartphones, Bluetooth speakers, and earbuds), there's just far less of a market for a good stereo rig than in years past. It's mostly a niche thing for us enthusiasts at this point.

The fact that the dollar has a lot less buying power than in the past, and there's a lot of good quality used/vintage gear out there for much cheaper than buying brand new probably doesn't help matters.

Would be sad to see Pioneer go the way of the dodo bird, but with consumer preferences what they are these days (smartphones, Bluetooth speakers, and earbuds), there's just far less of a market for a good stereo rig than in years past. It's mostly a niche thing for us enthusiasts at this point.

The fact that the dollar has a lot less buying power than in the past, and there's a lot of good quality used/vintage gear out there for much cheaper than buying brand new probably doesn't help matters.

Neither does the perception that the used/vintage gear you speak of is “vintage”. That the quality of that gear is much higher than what’s being produced today. It is sad.

There seems to be a little bit of a return to 2 channel, music-focused gear, but it remains to be seen where that goes. Now might be a good time to get some of that gear and hold on to it, it might turn out to be the new “vintage”.

My first receiver in the 80s was a champagne-colored, "computer controlled," lightweight box with plastic buttons that had a buzz in one channel after about 4 years. This so-called "death spiral" is sure taking a lot of decades.

My first receiver in the 80s was a champagne-colored, "computer controlled," lightweight box with plastic buttons that had a buzz in one channel after about 4 years. This so-called "death spiral" is sure taking a lot of decades.
It's a big spiral, like the Milky Way.

milky_way.jpg

As was reported above but few have noticed, the Pioneer that deals with the stuff we are interested in is still in business under the Onkyo corporation and is rolling along. The Pioneer from the article is the car navigation part of the company that was spun off years before.

As was reported above but few have noticed, the Pioneer that deals with the stuff we are interested in is still in business under the Onkyo corporation and is rolling along. The Pioneer from the article is the car navigation part of the company that was spun off years before.
Damn, I wish you had told us this earlier. I already scraped the Pioneer name off my receiver and replaced it with a Baring Equity decal......

Well gentlemen, if we want a Japanese brand that has never been bought out, never gone broke, stayed true to its roots, and apparently is still doing very well, we'll all have to start saving for Accuphase.
Nah....Yamaha since 1887. Also largest maker of fine instruments. Their R&D dwarfs Accuphase. At age 70, and looking back, made in Japan was once a badge of dishonor attached to shoddy goods.......now the best......https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Corporation

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom