The Fisher Electra VI MODEL-48

NW Lover

Found this Sweet The Fisher Stereophonic console today for $10.00. It came with TT owners manual and Fisher owners manual. What should I do with it? I would hate to take it apart. It is 40watts.
S8000200.jpg

S8000197.jpg

S8000198.jpg

S8000199.jpg

S8000201.jpg

For the love of all things good and holy, don't take that apart! That amp looks awesome!

Cool score.

Last edited:
NW Lover:

How's the cabinet? It looks identical (except for the TT color) to my '63 Custom Electra. Pull the amp, recap it (and the speaker crossover caps) and enjoy! You have a beautiful looking set of Fisher branded Tele's in there as well. I've got a schematic for the E-49 (closest I could find) with the 481-A chassis. It's close enough to guide you through a refurb. I use mine almost daily both with the internal speakers and hooked to some Klipsch KG-4s. Sweet amp!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Dave

Excellent score. Thats a great unit. The amp alone is worth good $$.
The console looks to be in great shape and the TT is a decent one.

Id make room for that sweety somewhere.
That ones a candidate for a flat screen TV above it and being used daily.

I get a twinge of jealousy whenever I see a good old Fisher thats not mine. Good one for sure. And $10?.....Jeez. You Lucky Bastage.

WOW! Relaximus, your cab looks amazing! My cab has some issues. I found it at the local thrift store. Two of the legs are broke off. But I do have them. I will clean it up and do some work to the amp. Fun, Fun.:banana:

I got mixed up thinking relaximus' pics were yours.
Relaximus, that a killer console.
NWlover, bad exterior? :scratch2:
You have the makings for one of the best stand alone units.

The audio gods will dam you to transistors in the after life if you do anything more than restore it. Don't be a sinner---repent for even thinking about it.

... Two of the legs are broke off. But I do have them. I will clean it up and do some work to the amp ...
Very cool! Clean up and repair the cabinetry as best you can. It would definitely be a plus keeping it whole. I wouldn't expect too much from the tuner. Mine, even in the wonderful condition I got it in, is so far out of alignment as to be all but useless. However, there are AUX inputs on the preamp so you can pipe in another source. And there are terminals for external speakers on the amp chassis. Have fun with it! :thmbsp:

Dave

Had a few minutes to check in here at AK before running out to pick up a Fisher console myself. Excellent find, NW! The price was certainly right. Here's a little information on your model:
63CustomElectraVICatalog.jpg

63CustomElectraVICatalogB.jpg

Whoa, I'm about 90% sure that's what my grandparents had when I was a little kid. Spent many Sunday afternoons playing on the dining room floor, closer to it than anyone else, lol. :smoke: Congrats, excellent score. :thmbsp:

Thank's. I have been seeing tube console's of different makes and models at the thrift shops. This is one of the few things people throw out or donate. I am glad they dont know what they are worth.

Uh oh, what ARE they worth. I passed one at a garage sale today for $75.
I saw it had a Garrard 204 TT and the cabinet was immaculate. The original paperwork was all there as well. I don't recall it being a version IV, though. It was the one pictured in the post above by relaximus.
???

Keep that Fisher intact. Comparing that to a Magnavox is like a Mercedes E Class to a 63 Bug. I wish to hell my fisher was a Tube, but it was Free and SS. It sounds leagues above any of the Magnavox's I have.

The AM side of the Tuner is fantastic. Love south of Baltimore and pick up Cleveland, Indianapolis, and NYC @ night. All on the Ferrite rod antenna. FM is non existant right now. But soon to be fixed. Mine is a 1969 Royal Electra.

Larry

Uh oh, what ARE they worth? I passed one at a garage sale today for $75.
The value of a console is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it. Certainly the brand, the model, the condition and style of the cabinet, the condition of the electronics, and how flush with cash the buyer is. . . all come into play.

For me, a big part of the equation is who I'm buying from: if I'm buying from the original owner or his or her children I'm much more likely to meet their asking price. In my experience they usually have more reasonable expectations as to price than do younger folks with no experience with consoles. Furthermore, the consoles which have stayed with one family, often for generations, are usually the ones with the fewest nicks and water stains and are sometimes still in regular use.

Just remember that it's always a buyers' market with consoles since there are very few people who can tell the good ones from the kindling - not to mention the fact that there are very few buyers, period. (Hint: Fishers are almost never fall into the kindling category.) But even the more common, department store consoles still might be worth something - if only for their tubes and transformers. In the one instance of a free console I have encountered (a Fisher hybrid), I still insisted the guy take something for helping me carry it down a flight of steps and out to my van. I always like to pay my Karma bills before they come due.

Wow, it's very seldom I see a console with that quality of a cabinet, then again Fisher equipment of that era was some of the best. I bet it sounds nice and that looks to be one of Garrard's better changers.

Hello.

I have aquired the guts to a "fisher electra". I have no idea which model it was.

The amp says "model 481A" on it. The tuner say "electra" on the front, but is not here at the moment, so I have no numbers for it. Both units look identical to the unit you have pictured.

Does anybody have any info on this amp (or a very similar amp?). Specs and other propaganda would be cool. But any wiring diagrams/ service info, would be better.

This will be my first attempt to restore a tube amp. I have no clue if the iron is good and have been waiting to at least recap, before I power it up. It appears to be a stand alone amp with a power umbilical for the tuner section. I assume one could run the amp alone.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Eric

The 481-A was from the 1964 Custom Electra VII model E-49. It was designed to be used with Fisher's 590-T tuner/pre-amp and will need to be modified slightly to be used as a stand alone amp. There are a few folks here who have that model and have posted about it previously. A search with the terms "Custom Electra" "E-49" and/or "481-A" should provide some information.

I also posted a "Christmas Shopping in 1964" Fisher catalog scan if you are interested in your amps previous life.

Back
Top Bottom