The Fisher Electra VI MODEL-48

TheRed1,

Thanks for the link.

It appears, from the diagram that one of you, (sorry, I forget who), was kind enough to post, that all I need to do is add power at pin #2. And, (this is where my inexperience has me confused), pin #11 seems to ground through the tube heaters on the tuner.

The pdf I downloaded is entitled: "Electra-VII-Fisher-Model-E-49.pdf". I don't know how to attach it (or where I found it.), but I am thinking it may have been you who posted it. Let me know if you have no clue what pin 2 and 11 are and I will find the link or email it to you.

I read, in a different thread, that you should use a 300-330k resistor there. I assume just tied to chassis ground?

Any help would be appreciated here, as I am new to reading valve schematics and you are the only source of actual info I have found, on this amp. My goal is to make some noise and no smoke, so....

Also, does anybody know if these amps have enough gain to be driven by a CD player and a passive volume "pre-amp"?

Thanks, Eric

Hope this helps.

e49.jpg

Dave

Thanks Dave.

That is the diagram I have also. I also have the tuner schematic. On that one pin #11 runs through 3 12AX7 heaters in series, to ground. There is no voltage marking on the diagram, but I would think a 12AX7 would be run at 12 volts...possibly 11. So, it is 33-36 volts? I guess I'll measure it.

Also, R24 is the bias pot, correct? So I should get the resistor close and adjust the pot? How do I determine the correct bias voltage for this amp?

Pin #9 grounds in the tuner. This makes me think I don't really understand the power supply, as it confuses me. Does it need to be grounded to the amp chassis? I dont really see a return path for it, with the tuner installed.

Sorry if that's too many questions, Until I actually fix/fry something, I'm never sure if I get it.

A little help here...
I have an amp and tuner from a similar console. Amp chassis says 440A and tuner is 440T (4x EL34). There were 12" Jensens in the console (p12RJ). Looks very much like the pix posted by NW Lover, but the wood tuner face plate doesn't say Electra... doesn't say anything. I used it for a long time with a pair of gigantic Carlson design speakers (upside down tulip shaped baffles in front of upward-angled 15" coaxials)... it was the best stereo I ever had. Now... no more room, out of money, blah blah blah. I may have to sell it but have no clue as to its desirability. If of course, there is a buyer at any given time.

Any info or other help on this is greatly appreciated.

re:"A little help here...
I have an amp and tuner from a similar console. Amp chassis says 440A and tuner is 440T (4x EL34). There were 12" Jensens in the console (p12RJ). Looks very much like the pix posted by NW Lover, but the wood tuner face plate doesn't say Electra... doesn't say anything. I used it for a long time with a pair of gigantic Carlson design speakers (upside down tulip shaped baffles in front of upward-angled 15" coaxials)... it was the best stereo I ever had. Now... no more room, out of money, blah blah blah. I may have to sell it but have no clue as to its desirability. If of course, there is a buyer at any given time.

Any info or other help on this is greatly appreciated."

Homedaddy, do you have pics of the console and where is it located? Is it in good working order? these are the questions that need to answered as to what the value of the console is. Keep in mind that these are not in great demand so buyers are people that want to restore or collect a piece of history that just happens to be a great sounding and fun to own piece of history.

The value of a console is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it. Certainly the brand, the model, the condition and style of the cabinet, the condition of the electronics, and how flush with cash the buyer is. . . all come into play.

For me, a big part of the equation is who I'm buying from: if I'm buying from the original owner or his or her children I'm much more likely to meet their asking price. In my experience they usually have more reasonable expectations as to price than do younger folks with no experience with consoles. Furthermore, the consoles which have stayed with one family, often for generations, are usually the ones with the fewest nicks and water stains and are sometimes still in regular use.

Just remember that it's always a buyers' market with consoles since there are very few people who can tell the good ones from the kindling - not to mention the fact that there are very few buyers, period. (Hint: Fishers are almost never fall into the kindling category.) But even the more common, department store consoles still might be worth something - if only for their tubes and transformers. In the one instance of a free console I have encountered (a Fisher hybrid), I still insisted the guy take something for helping me carry it down a flight of steps and out to my van. I always like to pay my Karma bills before they come due.

Preach it, brother! While it may not be a Fisher, I just picked up a 1959 Zenith Cobramatic 13-tube stereophonic console with 3-way speakers and a PP EL84 amplifier for $40 on Friday. Granted, the turntable is broken, but then again, I wasn't planning on retaining it as I will be using it as an amp and TV stand for a Sharp Aquos. The turntable will be replaced by an Xbox360 (game console, Media Center extender and HD-DVD player all-in-one). It still needs some TLC and refinishing (wife wants it stained darker) but the wood is a beautiful grain and it sounded great even before replacing all the passive components in the amplifier. Of course, my Fisher 800c sounds better, but I paid 3x for it and another $150 on top of that for the parts to refurbish it.

-Derek

Last edited:
Are you going to run the tv audio through it?

You got it (and by extension, the Xbox360 audio - the Sharp has both digital and line-out). :D

You know, this is becoming a theme - I have the Fisher 800c in the home theater in the basement and I'll be adding the Zenith to the family room TV...I've got a sickness...

-Derek

Here are pictures. Since they were pulled from a console... no cabinets or cages. The amp in particular looks a bit funky but the whole thing works great. "The Fisher" preamp tubes in JJEl84s in the 440-A.

Attachments

• fisher4.jpg
    fisher4.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 34
  • fisher7.jpg
    fisher7.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 33
  • fisher3.jpg
    fisher3.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 31
  • fisher6.jpg
    fisher6.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 27
  • fisher1.jpg
    fisher1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 37
Here are pictures. Since they were pulled from a console... no cabinets or cages. The amp in particular looks a bit funky but the whole thing works great. "The Fisher" preamp tubes in JJEl84s in the 440-A.

I've seen worse. The good thing is that the trannies look nice and clean - no rust. You might want to try some Brasso or something similar on the chassis to see if it'll clean up that oxidation (or whatever it is).

-Derek

Homedaddy you say that you didn't get the console just the amp and tuner? I am very curious about it because I have a the fisher Electra iv and yours is a little different. On your tuner you have a switch and an extra set of RCA plugs for monitor in. Also your aux inputs are 90 degrees off from mine.

Back
Top Bottom