The Fisher Phase Inverter Noose Revisited (for 500C/800C receivers)

Dave - "...developed for the 500C..."? I would be surprised if I missed that being that I hang on every Fisher thread, 500-C or not. But do me a favor and post a URL to that post/thread (I know... it's REALLY hard to find anything there are so many posts). I want to be sure I deployed the 500-C version. I am very happy with the sound of my 500C and my KX200 so even if I did deploy the 400 version, I can't say I'm bummed. I believe I adopted the process in this thread:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/fisher-400-service-bulletin.671281/
post #1 but I'm not sure if both the 400 and 500/800 processes were meant to apply.
Thanks, Thorne

PS - Oh wait...it was this thread:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/quick-and-easy-400-phase-inverter-adjust.559415/

Last edited:
Yes and thanks for sharing this with us, Dave. I also like viewing examples of your installations. Always impressed with how neat and tidy your work is.

The heater-bias mod also floats the illumination lamps at ~75V. Weighing the possibility of damaging a 12AX7 vs. getting zapped by absent-mindedly touching a bulb, I decided to go with the simpler approach.

Thanks for pointing that out! Manerac is absolutely correct, the modification does float all illumination lamps (Dial Glass, Stereo Beacon, and Tuning Meter) at about +75 vdc above ground. For those who do install the heater bias tap, a well placed sticker indicating such on top of the chassis, as well as off to the left or right behind the front panel would be a good idea to help prevent any surprises.

Dave

Added NEW LINK from the Stickies to find this thread in the Future. Also in the EARLY "Quick & Easy 400 P.I. Adjust" Thread, made an EDIT to that thread to NOT USE IT FOR THE 500c/800c. It refers back to this thread.

I'm anxiously waiting the epilogue since I'm curious why the fix is different for these two seemingly similar power amp stages.

I’m also waiting.

I’m also hoping Larry will eventually upload a simple line drawing that will aid we simple-minded hobbyists. Something like that line diagram he drew for screen stabilization.

EPILOGUE
So the question that remains boils down to this: Why did the approach that worked consistently well in the 400 receiver, not work so consistently well in the 500C/800C units? After all, the power amplifier section of all three units are very very similar. The technical reasons have been uncovered as to why this is so. But in doing so, the study also revealed another important observation that ultimately will need further discussion in another thread. For this thread however, the technical reasons include:

1. B+ VOLTAGE: In the 400 receiver, B+ voltage to the phase inverter stage is given as 320 vdc, while that to the tone control stages is given as 290 vdc. Stabilized real world measurements actually indicate (about) 335 vdc and 295 vdc at these supply points in typical restored units, which is an important element of the issue. By moving the B+ supply for the AF Amplifier section of the driver stage down to the next lower B+ source (schematic indicated 290 vdc), this allowed the plate voltage of the AF Amplifier stage to be lowered sufficiently to then allow the phase inverter section to develop a workable bias voltage with a wide variety of tubes, without the need for the noose, while operating with (about) a 47K cathode load.

In the 500C/800C, these same two B+ sources are given as 350 vdc and 295 vdc. However, stabilized real world measurements in these units actually indicate (about) 370 vdc and 325 vdc at these supply points in typical restored units. As a result, even if the B+ supply to the AF Amplifier stage is moved down to the next lower B+ level (schematic indicated 295 vdc), the actual voltage appearing at that point is not sufficiently low enough to lower the plate voltage of the AF Amplifier stage to a level that will allow the phase inverter section to develop a workable bias voltage with a wide variety of tubes, without the noose, while operating with a 47K cathode load.

NOTE: Current draw by the individual circuits of the small signal audio tubes is nearly identical between all three receivers. But the particular output tubes used and the total quiescent (no signal) current they draw will have an impact on the actual voltage the small signal tubes operate from, as output tube manufacturing tolerances and their bias setting has a notable impact on the voltage drop produced across the screen grid B+ dropping resistor. Since current flow for all the small signal stages also pass through this resistor, any change in voltage drop across it affects them as well. Lower output stage quiescent current then will raise general operating voltages due not only to the rise in main B+ voltage this causes, but also due to reduced voltage drop developed across the screen grid dropping resistor as well. For the actual voltage levels mentioned above, all units observed had CL-80 current limiting devices installed, operated from a line voltage of 121-122 vac, with output tube quiescent currents averaging 35 mA per tube at the time of measurement.

2. AF AMPLIFIER STAGE BIAS: Here, the difference in design between the 400 and 500C/800C receivers is significant. In the 400 design, a combination of cathode bias and fixed bias is used to bias this stage, while in the larger receivers, the stage operates with pure cathode bias. While both approaches have benefits and drawbacks, one of the benefits of cathode bias is that it acts to stabilize a tube's operating parameters in the face of varying conditions around it. In this case then, lowering the B+ supply point for this stage did not produce the needed effect of lowering the plate voltage of the stage sufficiently to allow the inverter stage to operate properly without the noose installed.

3. SAVING GRACE: Since the combination of higher overall B+ voltages and different AF Amplifier Stage biasing approach prevented the needed plate voltage reduction for the AF Amplifier stage in the large receivers when moving that stage's B+ supply to the next lower voltage source, it left the phase inverter section under biased when the noose was removed. However, those that implemented this approach also invariably found that once the noose was removed, they could then no longer make the appropriate Phase Inverter adjustment as well, and so invariably increased the value of the 33K inverter stage plate resistor to (likely) about 56K so the proper adjustment could once again be made. This move was a saving grace that lowered the voltage to the inverter stage enough that it at least allowed some tubes to operate properly (just like the original design), and some not. In other words, the improvement sought by installing the modification used in 400 receivers into the large receivers produced no real improvement at all, ultimately producing the same hit or miss operation versus tubes used that the original design produced. But there's more.

4. OBSERVATION: To make the study as complete as possible regarding the phase inverter noose and all of Fisher's MPX receivers, the study also included taking a box stock 400 receiver, and installing the usual phase inverter modification into it. Before doing so, a tube was targeted that was found to performed poorly in the stock design (early clipping, reduced power output). With the modification installed, tests were again run with the target tube installed. Improvement was readily apparent, as the tube was now able to drive the output stage to full power output with low distortion. However, the improvement was not of my level of expectation, because the tube could just barely do so. This was same new German made Amperex tube that performed so poorly in the original design of the 500C receiver of this thread, and also showed such a dramatic turn around when the modification designed for that receiver was installed into it. In the 400 setting, there was a turn around with this tube when the usual modification was installed, but not nearly as dramatically so, which of course prompted further investigation. That will be dealt with in a sister thread I will start soon, employing the same title as this one, but targeting the 400 receivers. And, because of the particular 400 receiver used for that testing, the answer to an unrelated, but long standing question about the production of the 400 receiver has finally been uncovered. But that will all be discussed in the new thread.

For this thread, the phase inverter modification offered herein for the 500C/800C receivers represents a significant improvement over that of the stock design, enhancing both the performance and dependability of the tubes used in the driver stages of these receivers, while at the same time, allowing for a very wide range of tubes to be used, without forever wondering if they are operating at optimum performance. By converting the inverter stage to operate with pure cathode bias and standing it on an R/C tail, the intentions of the original Fisher design are maintained, but optimum performance is assured with virtually all tubes, allowing them to easily perform the necessary functions of the driver stage under worst case conditions, and you to receive maximum return on your tube dollar spent.

Happy listening!

Dave

Wow, Dave, I really enjoy your deep-dive analyses of electronic circuitries. A lot of it is currently over my head, but I do pick up a few things. I bookmark the URL's so I can come back later and pick up more. Thanks for sharing publicly. I'm enjoying the sound of my "nooseless" 500-C (actually for FM I've been playing my Marantz 2265B's preamp out into my Fisher KX-200) so for now, I'm leaving it alone (while I get my Scott 299 v2 optimized). It's nice to have this "noose not necessarily good" development on my ToDo list. Thorne

NC -- Stay tuned. The driver stages in the B MPX receivers amount to being a blend of 400 and C receiver circuits, using the AF Amplifier circuit of the 400, and the phase inverter circuit of the C receivers. Between the two, I'll make sure they specifically get covered so as not to get lost in the mix.

Thorn -- You've obviously got tubes in your C that work well (as do I in my 800C), which is a good thing as it takes the pressure off to make the change in our units right now. However, it is definitely something I plan on updating in my receiver and I recommend that all do as well, so that when the time comes to change out the existing tubes, any old tube you come across will work just fine in those positions.

Dave

Thank you Dave for taking the time to post all of this.
VERY interesting.

This feels like the TV series "Game Of Thrones"...........just when they get you intensely enthralled in the episode, it ends and you have to wait for the next episode next week!

...The answer starts with Fisher's decision to use a 12AX7 for the driver stage to begin with. This was done no doubt to limit SKUs and help standardize much of the design throughout their equipment. Now the 12AX7 is in fact capable of performing the duties of the Fisher driver stage -- but only if circuit conditions are carefully controlled....
There may have also been another reason the Fisher engineers chose the 12AX7 tube. Depending on which tube manual one reads, the heater to cathode maximum voltage is rated at 200V, which would allow for the 130V on the cathode in the Fisher design, without requiring a DC bias voltage on the heater.

TC -- The 200 volt rating is a peak rating, to allow for any alternating voltage component at the cathode in addition to the DC voltage present -- which is not being exceeded with the case at hand as you point out. However, the 100 volt rating is an average (or steady state) rating which also must be observed as well, but is being exceeded in the application.

Dave

TC -- The 200 volt rating is a peak rating, to allow for any alternating voltage component at the cathode in addition to the DC voltage present -- which is not being exceeded with the case at hand as you point out. However, the 100 volt rating is an average (or steady state) rating which also must be observed as well, but is being exceeded in the application.

Dave
When I read your original comments regarding the heater voltages, I was curious about what the ratings were. Naturally, I reached for the tube manual on my desk, the Sylvania Technical Manual and the only information stated was the Maximum Peak Heater-Cathode Voltage = 200V. Later I looked in the RCA Tube Handbook: Peak Heater - Cathode Voltage = 180 max. Volts. Next I found the General Electric 12AX7 datasheet online: Heater-Cathode Voltage -> Heater positive with respect to cathode 180V, Heater negative with respect to cathode 180V. The Mullard Valve Tube & Semiconductor Guide for ECC83: Vh-k max 180V. Absent from these four sources was the average (or steady state) ratings for the 12AX7. Is there a source that gives an average rating? Why did the engineers design the original circuit that has an average cathode - heater voltage of 130V? Were they unaware? Did they knowingly violate the ratings? Why did not the Fisher designers bias the heater supply above ground? I would love to know what they were thinking when they designed that circuit.

Now this is interesting! I've never seen any reference to any heater/cathode voltage rating relevant to the 12AX7 that is given as 180 volts -- until now that is. I'm sitting here looking at the RC-30 RCA Receiving Tube Manual, where for the 12AX7 it states: Heater-Cathode- Voltage: Peak value: +/- 200 max volts. Average value: 100 max Volts. These are the specifications I have always known the tube to carry.

As well, in my 15th Edition of the Sylvania Technical Manual, under the heading Maximum Heater-Cathode Voltage, it provides the following information:

1. Heater Negative with Respect to Cathode: Total DC and Peak = 200 volts.

2. Heater Positive with Respect to Cathode: DC = 100 volts. Total DC and Peak = 200 volts.

However, I'm looking back at my RC-19 RCA manual, and indeed in that manual, the Heater/Cathode voltage specification is only offered as a Peak rating of +/- 180 volts, with no mention of any average value.

I have little doubt that the answer lies in the rating system used between the various manuals referenced. In the RC-19 manual (published in 1959), most tubes were still rated under the Design Center rating system, with the Design Maximum rating system being adopted in 1957. Over the ensuing years after that date, RCA gradually updated the specifications of their own tubes in succeeding manuals to the new rating system -- even those developed before 1957 like the 12AX7, which dates back to the 40s. Cagey as they were however, they never updated tubes they reluctantly published in their manual that were not of their own development. Example? The 6550, which in their final manual published still carried the 1955 Design Center rating specifications for the tube -- this no doubt to make it look little better than their 7027A tube -- rated under the Design Maximum system -- which is in fact a great tube, but no 6550!

When the 12AX7 specifications were ultimately updated to the new rating system, the peak Heater/Cathode voltage rating increased to +/- 200 volts, but the average value rating of 100 volts was also added to prevent any possible confusion as to what the insulation could safely withstand.

Fisher engineers certainly must have known they were pushing the boundaries with this specification -- but they did that in many other ways as well, be it with Grid #1 DC resistance, best practice when it comes to output tube spacing, and other ways as well. But remember, if anything, Fisher was incredibly aware of the advances in technology. Heck, he even published the techno advances Fisher accomplished over the years in nearly all of his owner's manuals. Therefore, I cannot believe he ever intended these units to outlive about a 15 year operating span (being generous), let alone a 50+ year span we are currently pulling out of them today. So, some license was taken -- as did all the other manufacturers as well, so it was hardly uncommon. And, tubes were pretty cheap and plentiful back then. If one gave up the ghost, just go get another! Ah, but those were the good 'ol days!

Dave

Back
Top Bottom