"The Fisher" TX-50

maxhifi

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Was at the flea market yesterday, one vendor had a big stack of 1970s all in one systems, the type with an 8 track player, tuner, and cheap amp all built into one unit. $10 each... well hiding in the back I saw a "The Fisher" nameplate, and the component had a "Made in USA" look about it.. Asked how much, and was quoted $10 like the others... well I picked it up. Turns out to be a Fisher TX-50. Was hoping for tubes, but one can only be so lucky!

It has some candle wax on top of it, and some that went through the vents, but aside from that and being dirty, it's complete and in good shape, I believe it should clean up very well. All knobs are present and no scratches or anything. The back panel has crusty looking cadmium plating, but at this point I think that's fairly typical.

The capacitors are dated 1969, and are a mix of USA made parts, and some German capacitors too. The filter capacitor is actually a board mounted FP can.

Looks like a (maybe quasi?) complementary symmetry amplifier, with a capacitor coupled output, and single ended power supply. Internal construction is modular, there's lots of wires with pin connectors, and the overall quality is high. Sheet metal is thicker than on later or cheaper components.

Anyone ever try one of these? I am thinking it's probably all silicon transistors, given its age and construction. Does the Fisher solid state stuff of this era sound good? I really like the compact size, and USA made construction.

Last edited:
The TX-50 was one of the last (short of the TX-1000) amplifiers made by FISHER before being taken over by EMERSON. I have a TX-100 and it sounds right good. The drivers and output's on the TX-100 are germanium. The TX-50 uses TO-127 Silicon's for outputs (NTE182 and 183) but I would imagine you could cross those to Fairchild or Onsemi if needed.

It should sound pretty good. It's only rated 18 watts per channel, so efficient speakers help a lot. It should sound very much like most any other cap coupled amp or receiver in a comparable size.

Service manual is on HifiEngine.com

Plug it in to a DBT with a 75 watt bulb on 1st power up. If the lamp flashes bright for a second or two and then dims everything is probably good. Hook up a cheap set of disposable speakers then power it back up and test it. If everything is ok but with lowered volume (the dbt takes some of the current and dissipates it as heat in the bulb(light)) then turn off and plug in to wall. Add a source and do a full check out. It's gonna need all the electrolytics changed. FRAKO's and DUCATI's are the worst. They are axials with rubber end seals that expand over the years and the lytic pukes. Besides, it'll sound a hell of a lot better than it does now.

Bookshelf speakers rated >92db/1m1w would be a good choice for this amp. The higher the better. below 90db and you stress the amp.

Very cool, thanks for the info! I'm happy to see it's actually complementary symmetry and not quasi, I think the PNP silicon power transistors were still a bit pricey when this was made. One thing I noticed, is the speaker coupling capacitors are actually labeled FISHER. I think I will save this for a rainy day project, I can rebuild it and bring it back to its former glory. To be honest I like how the early capacitor coupled stuff sounds.. I have an EICO Cortina from 67 which sounds very nice for what it is, I suspect this Fisher should sound similar but better.

Back
Top Bottom