The forgotten 500-B

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by RS Steve, May 14, 2017.

1. Tim D

Tim D AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wow Steve. Love what you've done. I've got a 500-B ratrig in my queue. Just need to finish up the KX-100 I've been working on. Dang, I was thinking of doing the KM-60 first.

2. RS Steve

RS Steve Tube Junkie Subscriber

Thanks Tim, I'm super pleased with the outcome, all it needs now is a nice wood cabinet.

3. Tim D

Steve,
    There are several cabinets on the big auction site, but watch the prices. Some have crazy prices.

4. RS Steve

Yeah, the crazy price seller blocked me after I scolded him for something. I have purchased after market ones before with good outcome, but I really want to build some myself.

5. Tim D

Yeah, I have 3 different Fishers needing cabinets. I'd love to build my own, but have never done that level of fine carpentry. Not sure I have the tools and skills needed, but I'd like to try.

6. RS Steve

I have a cabinet that is very rough that I took measurements from, looks pretty simple if you have wood working skills and tools. I'll get to it some day, my friend owns a cabinet shop so it should be pretty easy.

7. bolero

bolero Well-Known Member

wow I have this exact issue with my 400....I never knew it was because of shrunken gaskets!

thanks for the tip....I will try your felt replacement

:rockon:

8. RS Steve

I know, I was blown away what a difference it made, I haven't even tried it at night yet to see how it looks.

bolero likes this.
  9. Rob Thomas

Rob Thomas AK Subscriber Subscriber

Steve, post a night shot of the 400 if you get around to it. I'm sure its impressive! I can't believe the gaskets made that much of a difference, but then im kinda fuzzy on how the bulbs light up the lettering anyways with that gasket in between...

10. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

The light enters the glass from the ends and lights up the front of the lettering. The gasket is in front of the glass and helps keep the bleed over light from disrupting the light that is inside the glass.

Rob Thomas likes this.
  11. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

It also keeps light from the bulbs from illuminating the panel behind the glass.