The Garrard RC 88 Thread - Photos & More

Hello Malden--

I have just received a message back from a seller on the popular auction site who happens to be offering both the RC88 style brown bakelite headshell as well as the white Type A headshell; he reports that they are virtually identical in size at 3.5 inches long.

So there is hope!

Hello Malden--

I have just received a message back from a seller on the popular auction site who happens to be offering both the RC88 style brown bakelite headshell as well as the white Type A headshell; he reports that they are virtually identical in size at 3.5 inches long.

So there is hope!

No good deed goes unpunished...damn you "popular auction site"...

garrard headshells.jpg

Last edited:
In the above photo, I lined up the cartridge mounting holes with the horizontal line of the cutting mat. Note the location of the mating end of the head-shells as well as the angle difference.

Hello Malden--

I don't know WHY you insist upon defecating on my dreams twice in one day like this, but I offer a begrudging thanks nonetheless.

PS: Please feel free to sell me the brown Type A.

You can certainly use whatever head-shell you like. I posted the photo for the benefit of all.

I too have been mislead by more than one vendor of that "popular auction site" (aka, ebay).

Last edited:
Sorry to pick up the old thread, but it's one of the few I've found, and the most detailed.

I picked up a 98/4 yesterday. This is my first Garrard. It appears to be complete, minus plinth and spindles. The RCA cable (mono) and power cord need to be trashed (power doesn't have a plug, has multiple fractures in plastic, exposed wiring). I'd like to build a new plinth, too. Any helpful tips on where to find the springs? Dimensions for the plinth? My searches on the popular auction site have been fruitless.

Thanks.

Congratulations on picking up a Garrard 98/4 and welcome to the club of Garrard owners. I just checked that famous auction website and discovered that your best option for springs and plinth may be to buy an inexpensive parts unit. In any case, good luck.

Love to have a Type A but alas i have a lowly at60 that was given to me when i purchased a heathkit console. After much work i got it up and running with the included m93 cartridge. I am here to say idler wheels rock. I havnt put the dual 506 away, i just have 2 tables in the main system now. I love the garrard!20191125_215231.jpg20191126_163530.jpg20191127_051641.jpg

yeah its decent. There are lesser models in that range. The ones with the 2 pole motor have a noticeable vibration to the whole thing and you can hear that through the speakers. Had one in a KLH 24.

I absolutely LOVE my 88/4. I have a Shure M7D for stereo but use a GE VRII for mono, which sounds absolutely wonderful. The changing mechanism handles LPs. 45's and 78's flawlessly. I hear a little more rumble than on more modern tables, but it's not noticeable once the music starts playing.
attachment.php

How do you exchange between cartridges? Do you use two separate headshells? And is it safe to remove and replace between headshells without fear of damaging the tonearm connections? Look forward for your kind response. Thanks.

How do you exchange between cartridges? Do you use two separate headshells? And is it safe to remove and replace between headshells without fear of damaging the tonearm connections? Look forward for your kind response. Thanks.
Welcome to AudioKarma. Yes, using multiple headshells with different cartridges mounted is the easiest way to exchange cartridges. Yes, it is safe to remove and replace headshells. See post #51 in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom