The Gates of Heck

My daughter has recently started babysitting for a family that severely restricts what the kids are allowed to see on the tv. I agree with this behavior up until the kids get to be a certain age. After that, they need to have a small idea about just how weird the real deal can be. You can't shortchange them on acquiring SOME of the skills they will need to deal with the real world.

Most of those folks are full of shit anyway. Lot of these righteous suckers have to be TOLD,"Hey, your kid can't call me George in front of my daughter. If my daughter has the courtesy to call you Mr., or Mrs., or Miss So-and-So, I shouldn't have to explain to her why your kid didn't extend ME the same courtesy." From what I have seen with a bunch of kids, if you're striving to teach your kids respect for others, you're almost creating little freaks who WILL be in the minority. Don't let it stop you of course, but that is what I truly feel.

Ya, I prolly should've clarified that children in early development should be kept away from certain things because of effects on the subconscious and general psyche later in life, but then again I also don't think a 3-year old should be watching much TV to begin with. If you're trying to be such a good parent, involve yourself in real activities and games with your kid rather than just sticking him/her/it in front of a video box all day. That'll do more to help his development than just protecting him from potentially bad things.

spkrman57 said:
Funny how the "Holier than though" folks are some pretty good sinners behind closed doors.

Some folks are good at presenting a good front, then turn around and do everything they preach about when they think nobody is looking.

Ron

We don't want THEM in on our fun? :lmao: :yikes:

A rather severe joke, son :)

Another tome on the subject...

Toasted Almond said:
My daughter has recently started babysitting for a family that severely restricts what the kids are allowed to see on the tv. I agree with this behavior up until the kids get to be a certain age. After that, they need to have a small idea about just how weird the real deal can be. You can't shortchange them on acquiring SOME of the skills they will need to deal with the real world.

Most of those folks are full of shit anyway. Lot of these righteous suckers have to be TOLD,"Hey, your kid can't call me George in front of my daughter. If my daughter has the courtesy to call you Mr., or Mrs., or Miss So-and-So, I shouldn't have to explain to her why your kid didn't extend ME the same courtesy." From what I have seen with a bunch of kids, if you're striving to teach your kids respect for others, you're almost creating little freaks who WILL be in the minority. Don't let it stop you of course, but that is what I truly feel.

I would note that some of these people were leading the bad lives they don't want their children to lead and are trying to do what they think will help them, or they are trying to be better parents than the messed-up ones they had. Where do they go for help and inspiration (other than a church or deity)? It's not the easiest of tasks and a child's life is a random experience outside the home. It's very true that the Jones and the Smiths are worlds apart in preferences and cultures. There is still the tribal bond of family that needs to teach that "You are Jimmy Jones and no matter what you encounter in life, you learned how to cope with by following the guidelines the family gave you and making your decisions based on that and all you have gained from them as you make your decisions. You and only you know what is right, but you will be defining that for the rest of your life. In the end, YOU must be comfortable with your decisions, and if not you know you are WRONG without any other comments from your friends or family".

That is what I think they are trying to do, and how "religion" factors in there goes beyond Christianity. The ancient tribes of Man all emphasized how there was strength in the family made stronger by the tribe and held together by a faith. Those tribes have broken apart and the family is fracturing. Men always step back to assess their failures (if they are truly wise and sane). This seems to be where many have assessed a loss of religious values caused failure.

PS As for "Survivor" this is not a healthy "tribe" but a diseased cell put on TV for our enjoyment. It was corrupted by MONEY.

PPS YES, TA, MSgt as you are, I do recognize that the armed forces teach many of these qualities. How soldiers do compared to the rest of us is still a matter of APPLICATION in the end.

Last edited:
Nick_the_'Nole said:
Ya, I prolly should've clarified that children in early development should be kept away from certain things because of effects on the subconscious and general psyche later in life, but then again I also don't think a 3-year old should be watching much TV to begin with. If you're trying to be such a good parent, involve yourself in real activities and games with your kid rather than just sticking him/her/it in front of a video box all day. That'll do more to help his development than just protecting him from potentially bad things.

Is that why they cram so much "developmental learning" stuff into software and the TV/VCR? Because they are WAAAY more into the box and will watch it all day? A child will learn from a pile of dirt or just hanging with Mom or Dad all day. What they do involves interaction, and the TV can be more than they should have all day. I think they will do better playing and getting to know the outside people you introduce first so they have more time to learn how to interact before they get to pre-school and a 4 year old free-for-all.

I guess that's what you would do when the neighbors were 10 miles away :scratch2:

CELT said:
The same nutso's that think their kiddies watching carnage on TV is okay but go into a nuclear meltdown when goofy Janet Jackson flashes her boob. :rolleyes: They probably all shop at "Moonies R Us" too. :D

That's because she gained too much weight and that boob probably looked better at the time "Control" came out and she did the awesome dance over chairs and stuff in "The Pleasure Priciple". It's a 40something boob trying to be a 20something boob.And why would ya hang things like whatever THAT was on 'em when my menopausal GF is always telling me not to mess with that today? Self-torture?

Enough on JDJs breasts already. Please :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

twintwelve1484 said:
Hmmm. Well, after reading this thread and giving it some thought, maybe the popularity of this device will send a message to Hollywood and The Powers That Be that many people have had it up to here with the downward spiral into the gutter in trade for $$$ ...
No way. As long as the ratings are good and the ads sell, the industry KNOWS that the folks are watching -- and all the complaints are just the noise they spout to feel better about watching.

I read that Desperate Housewives is a huge hit in the red states and Bible Belt. You don't need to know much more to realize that the industry is simply supplying what's demanded. All the Guardians do is ensure a minimum of meaningful critical response from those offended. No, they do more: Guardians give the industry and FCC a nice easy out for the Ned Flanders' complaints -- Ned, just buy a Guardian and keep watching!

If Guardians are really selling well, the industry would take that to mean, what? That they broadcast too much crap? Or that they are peddling something so appealing to such a wide group, that one sector self-censors to keep watching. :thmbsp: "Great, our show pulls such broad audience that it's like two tiers in one! We get the fundies AND the libertines! Let's make MORE shows like that!"

I haven't watched more than 10 hours of TV in the last year, and most of that had to do with the election. TV doesn't appeal to me, so I don't watch. When a LOT of people feel that way, offerings will change, but not before.

Last edited:
As a father of two young kids (5 & 7), a non religious registered Libertarian AND living here in the bible belt, I think these devices are a good idea on some levels. They give a person the liberty to watch tv without being subjected to the coarseness that pervades our society and grows worse each year. I get tired of explaining to my kids that certain words should be seldom, if ever, used. I get tired of hearing the f word everywhere, even while standing in line at the grocery store. There used to be family hours on tv where you didn't need to screen everything constantly- do I have to watch everything my kids watch? Should I hear a 5 year old say "screw you Mom" when I go to my son's kindergarten class? Maybe I'm protecting my kids too much, or teaching decency in a world that no longer values it. So be it.

I'm not a prude, I swear with the worst of them. But there is a time and a place. Broadcast tv, family hours is not the time or the place. We don't watch much tv at my house, not even because of language, sex or violence, but because it is overall just bad. Oh, and I've spent most of my life working in the tv business.

Justen said:
We don't watch much tv at my house, not even because of language, sex or violence, but because it is overall just bad.
That's us, exactly. I have a five-year-old who just in the last year figured out that there's ALWAYS something on TV, instead of just being something that you watch movies on. I'm okay with that. I don't mind explaining words to him, but there's nearly always something better to do -- more active, less passive, more interesting.

I agree you Wiggy, if "they" want to try to take my T&A there'll trouble! :lmao: I'll give the guys trying to "V-chip" their own tv the benefit of the doubt so long as they don't try to tell me what to watch.

Profanity verus Chritianity

I do not wish to impose my religious beliefs on anyone. I am a Christian and understand the ramifications of using the Lords name in vain (i.e. the GD's) according to the Bible. Different people are at different places with their beliefs and acceptance of religion. I've tried very hard to stop using these types of words but when things get heated, out they come. Self righteousness won't get a person too far. I see it the same as trying to tell my coworkers the difference between Soundesign and McIntosh they don't know and don't care. What I mean is you are no less of a person if you try and fail as you are if you try and succeed. It's all about acceptance and if a person can't accept others for the way they are then that person is committing just as much sin as the guy cussing up a storm. Does that make any sense? If my religious content doesn't offend you then your profanity doesn't offend me.

I just wish OUR cable didn't have 3 channels of some psychotic fried-chicken eating buffoon w/a $79.95 polyester suit screaming at me how I'm on a fast freight to Hades-especially if I don't up & give him a generous donation to help support his
"ministry" & the "work of the Lord." Puh-leez !-Sandy G.

Sandy G said:
I just wish OUR cable didn't have 3 channels of some psychotic fried-chicken eating buffoon w/a $79.95 polyester suit screaming at me how I'm on a fast freight to Hades-especially if I don't up & give him a generous donation to help support his
"ministry" & the "work of the Lord." Puh-leez !-Sandy G.

Sandy,

I agree. Whats wrong with fried chicken though?

mac

I'm imagining this scenario:

"Shi', man, that honky mo'fo' messing w' my old lady.... Got to be running cold upside down his head, you know?"

Translation: Golly, that white fellow should stay away from my wife, or I will punch him.

"Hey home, I can dig it. Y'know he ain't gonna lay no more pig rap off on you, man."

Translation: Yes, he is wrong for doing that.

"I say hey, s'guy... somethin' to say? Pray to J, I did the same ol', same ol'."

Translation: I knew a man in a similar predicament... and he ended up being sorry.

"Make yourself a pro, Slick. Lot of performers down not take T.C.B.ing, man."

Translation: Don't be so naive, Arthur. Each of us faces a clear moral choice.

"Hey; you know what they say... see a broad all booty-eyed; lay her down and smack 'am, jack 'em."

Translation: Early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.

"Cold got the beat! Shiiit!"

Translation: How true! Golly! :lmao:

Eric - wasn't that a scene in Airplane!?

(I apologize for the Tourette's outbereak earlier where I unknowingly posted the same thing three times - I got some nasty server hang. All clear now.)

they're gonna incorporate these things into TV's pretty soon...and then unnoticed they'll remove the option to turn it off...it's a conspiracy by the government...THEY'LL NEVER CATCH ME, NEVER!

OKIE Greg said:
If you hook it up backwards, will it add cuss words to a show?
Speaking of which, why hasn't somebody made such a device, just for comedic value, kinda like the DVD/CD Rewinder? I'd buy it!

colortrakker said:
Eric - wasn't that a scene in Airplane!?

(I apologize for the Tourette's outbereak earlier where I unknowingly posted the same thing three times - I got some nasty server hang. All clear now.)

Yes, one of the funniest scenes ever imho!

I would buy one of those devices if it had a special "wife filter" added.The filter would take out phrases like "sale at the mall","Oprah","Fred,you ARE the father of the baby",or just all the ads on HGTV trying to convince my wife that our 2 year old house needs a 20000 dollar makeover.
Otherwise,I dont give a ****ing shit about what kind of language is on my TV.No kids here,so I guess my opinion would be different if I did.
Jimmy

Back
Top Bottom