The Goat Man Of The Pope Lick Trestle

danrclem

Since Halloween is approaching I thought it would be more than appropriate to post this. The Pope Lick Trestle has had a legend since I don't know when that there is a Goat Man living there. It is a legend that lives on till this very day. Through the years there have been several people that have died there.

When I was in high school in the early 70's I actually crossed this trestle several times with my friends. You know the old saying "young and dumb." We never saw the Goat Man but one time we did hear what sounded like running footsteps on the trestle after we got off. One night we took a guy who's nickname was Heavy with us. Now Heavy was way behind the rest of us after we got off and as we were heading back down the hill Heavy jumped off of the trestle at a height of about seven or eight feet. He said that something was after him. I didn't hear anything but Heavy sure was scared.

I was with a friend one night and we met a couple girls and tried to talk them into walking the trestle with us. Well our attempt to pick them up failed so we went to the trestle by ourselves. We got about halfway across and we see a light coming around the bend ahead and we knew instantly that it was a train. We took off running in the opposite direction from which the train was coming. There wasn't time to look at the ties so we were just running hard and hoping for the best. I did miss a tie at one point and it's a wonder that I didn't break my leg. We made it without much time to spare and I believe that was the last time that I crossed that trestle.

Later on I finally talked one of the young girls that we tried to get to go with us that night to start dating me. That girl wound up being my wife of forty-three plus years. I shudder to think what might have happened if we had succeeded in talking them into going with us that night.

GO TO SLIDE 18
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/smart-living/the-creepiest-urban-legend-from-every-state/ss-AAuBRvx?ocid=spartandhp#image=18

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...trestle/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d303f3579fe2

Last edited:
Similar to the Bunnyman (Bunnyman Bridge) just west of me in Clifton, VA. This legend is a mix of fact since there was some dude with an axe in a bunny suit in 1970 and fiction since there was no insane asylum 'round these parts. Legend has it that if you visit on Halloween Night you will see the Bunnyman who will then kill you and hang you in the nearby woods. Cops watch the place during this time of year and robustly discourage visitors.

Back
Top Bottom