THE GREATEST SHOWMAN

twiiii

Lunatic Member
What does everyone think of the quality of the sound track. I'm going to wait for answer before stuffing my foot in my mouth.

Coincidentally, we just watched this movie tonight.

Had I known it was a musical, I wouldn't have chosen to watch it. :no:

So I'm not a good person to judge the quality of the soundtrack.

I'm sitting there following along with the story, but once they break out into song, my eyes roll back in my head and I enter a catatonic state. . . o_O

My oldest Grand daughter is head over heels with this movie. "Sound of Music" had been her first choice until now. But the reason I asked the question was because I couldn't believe the audio quality of this film. Its like something out of the early 60's or late 50's. When multi channel sound in movies was just being developed by Ampex. The asperity modulation noise is everywhere. What happened to digital clarity? What happened to SS sound quality. The sound is congested , squeezed, the LFE sound track sounds like it coming from sub woofer that can only produce two or three notes. If this is someone idea to return to analog sound and tubes, they have made a big mistake. There is absolutely no depth to musical numbers sound presentation. The sound is a flat as the picture presented on the screen. Just a two dimensional presentation. Hughs singing is buried by the accompaniment. They must have mixed the sound with monitors with highly predominant midrange. The sound sort of reminds me off some of the MGM sound tracks from the 50s. But this movie does have a difference though, its overly predominate peaky mushy bass. I just wondered what everyone else thought about this sound track . This sound track comes closest to my other favorite sound track to hate. "Lawrence of Arabia". It has to be one of the worst sound tracks on LP. Another one that is understandably bad because it was originated on TV is "Victory at Sea."

Last edited:
My fiancé’s daughter also thinks this is the best movie ever - she has the soundtrack on CD and vinyl. Not my thing so I haven’t paid it much attention ...

We recently watched it and I have to say I thought the sound was absolutely terrific. Brilliantly dynamic, wonderful deep bass and really immersive. This was a DTS 5.1 mix and it sounded tremendous.

Oh so glad that I saw that this movie is Musical. Saves finding out myself. Another bullet dodged.

One of the songs "This is Me" has gotten a lot of notice. I had to buy a copy for my wife after we saw it performed on Graham Norton
Its got bombast and all that kind of thing, and even tho its not my kind of song, I will say - sonically, it sounds pretty good.

I never realised that the Johnny Depp Sweeny Todd was a musical. That DVD lasted about 5 seconds after the first bars of the first song. Don't even mention La La Land. I won't ever watch it.

I can't take musicals. I hated them even as a little kid. I got dragged into "The Sound of Music" and kept asking my mom, "Why are they singing all the time?" and "Is it almost over?". My dad hated them too, and we ended up for the second half of the movie sitting in the lobby. I would be dragged, under protest to "Mary Poppins", "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", and several other movies. And then when I was 10, I was forced to sit through "Funny Girl" on Broadway, and I told my mother that if I was forced to see anymore musical movies or plays, I would make enough of a disturbance that I would be tossed out. I've never seen one since then. Musicals are #1 on my "Hell No" list of movies I'm not going to see. Period. Rom-Coms are #2. But I would watch 12 Chick Flick Rom-Coms before I watched one musical.
A friend of mine was basically forced to see "Wicked" live on stage last year, and that was the final straw. He told his wife he would gladly pay for her sister to go with her, but there would be no more musicals at all, he's 60 and he's done being tortured. She is currently planning to go see "Wicked" with her sister when it comes locally next month. A trip over the holidays to NYC was a dream for him, his wife went with her cousin and her husband to see some awful play, and he watched movies at the hotel.

Back
Top Bottom