The guy who tightens this bolt must have called in sick that day.

Back in 1974 (when GM probably had the highest percentage of drunks and druggies on the payroll), my friend`s uncle stopped by to show off his newly-purchased Coupe de Ville, and we noticed that one of the parking lights was completely out of it`s enclosure, and just hanging by the wires (!). Seems one of the assembly line workers had just taken a handful of windshield sealer (commonly called "Dum-Dum" in the industry), stuffed it into the light socket, and slapped it together, without the screws....

The mid-70s were not a good time for automotive quality. I've also heard stories of people opening up cars and finding trash in places that would be near impossible to place outside the assembly line. Cars from the 80s don't get a lot of love, but I've never found anything like that in one.

2017 Ford Explorer Interceptor, driver asked to "check the alignment" which I did, the toe was slightly off but I was having a hard time setting it because there was about a half inch of slack in the steering, a quick check with a flashlight found this.

This has to be a factory mistake, this vehicle only has 12k on it and has been in for service only three times, once for a tire repair and twice for a lube.

Now, do I just tighten it and send it down the road or send it to Ford so they can document their mistake?

View attachment 1204425

Good grief that's bad but hey, Ford.

I ordered a new '85 Mustang w/ 5.0 motor. Had driven a friend's many times before I did. First 1000 miles I babied it, no romping. At 1001 & punched it and.....

The secondaries did not open. Removed the air cleaner and 20 minutes worth of hoses to find the secondary vacuum arm not connected to the throttle plate.

The mid-70s were not a good time for automotive quality. I've also heard stories of people opening up cars and finding trash in places that would be near impossible to place outside the assembly line. Cars from the 80s don't get a lot of love, but I've never found anything like that in one.
I've heard stories of disgruntled workers "sabotaging" cars on the line by lodging a soda bottle in a lower quarter panel. Made an annoying racket that was very difficult to locate.

Back in 1974 (when GM probably had the highest percentage of drunks and druggies on the payroll),

Funny you should say that.

I was hired by Cadillac in 76. During our pre-employment orientation, they asked if anyone in the room was currently using any hard drugs. Two guys admitted that they were in a methadone treatment program. Both were hired, both got their 90 days in to become UAW members, both then became burdens on the company and the Union as they struggled with their addictions.

Never understood why they would have taken the chance on them as there were many folks looking for good jobs at the time.

I've heard stories of disgruntled workers "sabotaging" cars on the line by lodging a soda bottle in a lower quarter panel. Made an annoying racket that was very difficult to locate.

In the 80's there was a worker at the Ford Rouge Plant used to do this, with pint liquor bottles, in the Mustang Police Car doors.

Funny you should say that.

I was hired by Cadillac in 76. During our pre-employment orientation, they asked if anyone in the room was currently using any hard drugs. Two guys admitted that they were in a methadone treatment program. Both were hired, both got their 90 days in to become UAW members, both then became burdens on the company and the Union as they struggled with their addictions.

Never understood why they would have taken the chance on them as there were many folks looking for good jobs at the time.
Back in those days, I used to hang out at a bowling alley near the Linden, NJ GM plant . One night a week, there was a Midnight League, it was all guys from the second shift at GM. You never saw such a bunch of derelicts in one place in your life....

I'd alert Ford. If it were my vehicle, I'd want new parts. The splines are probably boogered up from being loose. It shouldn't be hard to get them replaced if you remind them that they could have had a lawsuit on their hands.

This. If that is in fact splines, I'd want a new U-joint and its mating shaft for sure.

The Boss said just fix it and we'll send out the picture to our other shops with a memo to inspect it on other units.

It fell out as soon as I touched it with no wrench needed, but clearly this bolt had been screwed all the way in at one time, the orange threadlock is gone halfway down and
there are contact marks under the face, it apparently just wasn't tight enough and worked it's way out from the constant rocking back and forth.
I didn't test this theory but I doubt the coupler could come off even with the bolt gone, they plan for things like this and engineer accordingly.

.View attachment 1204834

If I remember correctly, that joint would have to be split if the engine cradle was lowered out of the vehicle. Wonder if it ever had any warranty work done that would require dropping the cradle?

This. If that is in fact splines, I'd want a new U-joint and its mating shaft for sure.

It's not splines, the shaft is sort of a trapezoid and the coupler only goes on one way. There is no way it would be damaged from running loose for a while, the power steering is electric on this, with it running you can easily turn the steering shaft with your fingers.

If it was ever worked on by the dealer it was before it was delivered to us, we have no record of any warranty work.

In Florida, shortly after graduating, 1974ish, I took my little Fiat to a shop I had never been to. I wanted a wheel balance and rotation. I picked the car up and headed to the nearby Interstate. I had not been 5 miles down the road, when the car started to feel funny and made an odd noise. I pulled over and got out to look around. The front right wheel had not been tightened down and was sitting at a severe angle. It was one or two threads from falling off. I tightened it and returned to the shop. Even at 21, I knew this was a potential lawsuit and I let them know how close they came to me owning their nice little shop. I was one furious college grad.

Four new tires, pulled out of the shop into a left turn across traffic. Front Right Wheel came off, not even one lug nut tightened. RIGHT in front of the shop. Watched it roll away. Didn't damage the studs. Don't remember the body damage and whether or not the car rolled over the wheel first before hitting the ground with a truly bone jarring crash. Didn't get rich off of it.

Same car (1973 Dodge Charger SE) , several years before that, it had remarked Firestone 500's on it when I bought it, and I had a blowout (right front again!!) at freeway speeds on a crowded expressway. Put on the spare, took the tire carcass to Montgomery Wards (where they came from) - sales manager took one look, asked me if there were others of that type on the car, then went and checked. Four new tires (gratis) later I drove away.

Last edited:
Mark, believe it or not but I too had a Firestone 500 on the front left blow out on a crowded freeway in Orlando. Mine were also purchased from Monkey Wards. Firestone said it was not one of the faulty tires. Yeah, Right

Back
Top Bottom