The Hair Metal Thread.

Shocker - OST

nHzbEFl.jpg

Rough Cutt - Rough Cutt

temporary_zpsljj7uft9.jpg

A great album from a band that really doesn't get the attention they deserve. Rough Cutt was every bit as good as the more popular bands from the strip but sadly never got the notoriety.They are a shining example of a band that played the up the Glam aesthetic to nth degree but rocked just as hard as any of the "Harder/Heavier" Metal acts of the time.

An interesting note is that there manager was non other than Wendy Dio...yeah that Wendy Dio. Also the cover of Piece of My Heart is far better than it has any right to be, much better than that thing that Nazareth did a few years earlier.

Last edited:
Ace Frehley - Frehley's Comet

temporary_zpspylepv3d.jpg

And now for an album that some (including ace himself) would rather forget existed. This album kicks ass from the Hard Rocking opening track "Rock Soldiers" (Aces PSA against drinking and driving, involving a delorean and the devil) and his ballad to vagrants and prostitutes everywhere "In the Night" this album is pure hard rocking hair cheese and I love it.

Seriously Frehley has admitted to hating both albums that Frehley's comet released, which is a shame cause they really are awesome and show how much talent he really has as a guitarist even if the subject matter can get a bit goofy. You can tell they were having a blast recording it.

Is this Dokken album any good?

Hi mad,

I'm afraid I didn't care for it much (first listen only though I think). Dokken's vocals are rough (not aged well), the material is overall pretty weak, the Jefferson Airplane cover is just bizarre, and the production is stuffy.
I give it a 2.5/5 overall.

I'm not real familiar with Dokken's post 80's material, but none of it is well regarded it seems. Except Lightening Strikes Again. That one got good reviews and I do like it as well fwiw.

Just got this on CD about a week ago! His other album 'Mannic Distortion' is tough to get.

Yep, very little known artist. I tried that one and liked it alright; have not even looked for his other 2 albums yet.

Def Leppard - S/T

orXzV5H.jpg

Still liking this one pretty well, 3.5/5 for me. The best tracks on it, imo, are (in the order they come on the album) :

Let's Go
Dangerous
All Time High
Wings of an Angel

A couple of those even sound like classic unreleased Leppard tracks. If you don't like these, then you won't like the rest of the album in all likelihood.

Hi mad,

I'm afraid I didn't care for it much (first listen only though I think). Dokken's vocals are rough (not aged well), the material is overall pretty weak, the Jefferson Airplane cover is just bizarre, and the production is stuffy.
I give it a 2.5/5 overall.

I'm not real familiar with Dokken's post 80's material, but none of it is well regarded it seems. Except Lightening Strikes Again. That one got good reviews and I do like it as well fwiw.

Thanks for the review! I don't really like when artist push out an album when they clearly no longer have the chops any longer. I think I'll skip this one. I like the '80s output from Dokken but didn't take long for it all to derail.

Thanks for the review! I don't really like when artist push out an album when they clearly no longer have the chops any longer. I think I'll skip this one. I like the '80s output from Dokken but didn't take long for it all to derail.

No problem! Jmo, but I don't think you're missing anything.

PS: Your photobucket images are not displaying, so unfortunately I can't see what your latest finds are! (I bet it's just a glitch on PB's end and they will be up later).

Back
Top Bottom