The Hair Metal Thread.

Time to necro this thread.

Dangerous Toys - ST (Picked up at Goodwill for $1.99 today.)

5sOzgxs.jpg

I really like the song "Scared" from that album. Great melody.

OK, I keep posting melodic rock, hair metal, AOR etc in the Metal thread because I always forget about this Hair Metal section, and then a few days ago I get a notification and I remembered there's a thread for the 'softer' side, so it's on with the good stuff.

Aviator! Why the hell weren't these guys bigger? I liken them to a US version of a great UK band, FM; hooks, melody, vocals, writing. There really isn't a duff track! Yes, it's a naff cover, but never judge a book 'n all that.

iHK7Z9X.jpg

After comparing my first record of the night to FM, it was only fair to spin an actual FM disc to make sure I knew what I was saying. So I opted for Tough It Out (Indiscreet is too AOR, for a comparison). I think FM just have the edge on overall performance and style.

Always loved seeing these guys live, and even their fully acoustic sets were powerful!

441tXXk.jpg

@NeedForSpeed, I saw Warrant on the Cherry Pie tour in Louisville.

They should have dialed down the histrionics and hair, because they were quite good. I still love that album, play it several times a year.

@NeedForSpeed, I saw Warrant on the Cherry Pie tour in Louisville.

They should have dialed down the histrionics and hair, because they were quite good. I still love that album, play it several times a year.

Also saw them supporting this album, With "Winger" Opening. Both very good musicians. Yes, Hair was an issue, But sign of the times. Aways liked Jani Laynes(RIP) voice.

cover2.jpg
Just listened to this album yesterday. Anyone remember this band? From 1982. Nice thread by the way.

A little bit of XYZ; their debut album. A couple of cheesy ballads, but the riffs elsewhere really make up for it; and good vocals, too!

6TwGIHT.jpg

A much under-rated UK melodic rock band, Jagged Edge. Very good live, great vocals and guitar sound. They just never got 'the' break.

Gz1h7wS.jpg

Another big haired English AOR/Melodic Rock band; SHY. Always loved seeing these live as they put on a great show, and Tony Mills has great pipes! And how can you go wrong on an album with a Cliff Richard cover; and a damned decent one at that :)

8LYuKJa.jpg

Man, I remember the first time hearing these on The Friday Night Rock Show and was absolutely blown away! Such simple rock and roll, but memorable riffs and tunes, and the first track still blows me away today! Unpretentious, clean rock and roll. Still sounds so clean and alive today, 27 years on! Jeez, I feel old writing that last bit.......this album is 27 years old; WTF??? Some modern day bands WISH they could do a debut as good as this!

UyDPHcq.jpg

A seriously underrated (yes, it's used a lot) rock band from the North of England; Kiss Of The Gypsy. A seriously great debut album, could play, sing and put on a great live show; blew the roof of Stairways on their release tour. And all because they didn't crack the American market, they failed and disbanded after one album. The ego of the lead singer may have been an issue, but as a new band, they had the tunes and the groove. And still the only notable rock band to come out of Fleetwood ;)

Still a real favourite album of mine to listen to!

IaY2e7o.jpg

A wanna be Van Halen/Mr Big clone band, but still a decent enough debut/only release. Too Far Gone, Gypsy Queen & Louisiana Overload have something good going on. Side 2 is a typical side 2 of an album ;)

7wHDf5T.jpg

Something else from 1990; Company of Wolves. This is one of those albums that doesn't really have an outstanding track or two, or three, but is a great album to put on in the background and just let it wash over you.

QzMNAwu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom