The hhscott.com website — former members...

jimwild777

...what happened to the email Listserve and the forum(s) on the hhscott.com website? This was a website about/for HH Scott tube equipment run by Lee K Shuster, and was a very valuable resource for repairing Scott equipment. I stopped my subscription to the Listserve around 2002 or so, and didn’t look again for the site until recently. The website is obviously still there, but it hasn’t been updated since 2004, and there’s no sign of what happened— no farewell note or anything. The links for the forum, etc. are all dead ends.

Since Lee Shuster is apparently still alive and well (he has pages on Facebook and LinkedIn), I assume he just wanted to pursue other interests at that time.

I will also attempt to contact him directly, but in the mean time, does anyone know exactly when or why the website stopped the forum/listserve, and if there is any such thing for Scott equipment elsewhere on the Internet?
Thanks.

If you are talking about the help forum associated with the Scott site, that has not been active for a very long time. My guess is there was no one to monitor it.

eixner23, that’s a very interesting site I didn’t know about. Thanks for the lead! Unfortunately, the archived hhscott pages on archive.org lead you to the login to the hhscott forum, and then the link for “guest” doesn’t work. It makes sense; there is no one to be on the forum anymore, since the site has been mothballed.

Yes, the site still exists, and I’m totally aware of that. Have you tried it? When you go to the “archives” section of hhscott.com you get documentation and the like, but that’s not what I’m looking for right now...

What I’m talking about is finding the remnants of the discourse that happened between the PEOPLE on the site — thousands of emails exchanged, countless discussions on the forum... certainly that was “recorded” as a function of the web site. In other words, I sign-in to the forum, I write a message with some valuable information, and that message is now on the site, “recorded”, in memory, etc. Forum archives would have ALL the messages that people had left over the years.

Maybe that never happened, that the forums were archived. Apparently not. Or maybe I just haven’t found it yet.

The emails exchanged on the listserve were great, and I personally archived probably hundreds of them back when I was receiving them. But those emails - those sent to the listserve host - where did they go? Were they a one-time transmission and then dropped from the server's hard drive? Or were they archived somewhere, and if so, where?

Those two areas of the site had tomes of specific, useful information for folks wanting to repair and refurbish their Scott equipment. It’s the archives of that information that I seek.

Any thoughts?

It would be interesting to see the responses to this thread. I was a very active member there. But as mentioned above, it has been gone for years and years. Thankfully, the schematics and photos seem to still be available. It was sad to see it go away.

I was a member, maybe I still am? I seem to remember at one point Lee ( or another moderator) were looking for someone/someplace to host the site. Yes, it was a great place to get information and advice.

Back
Top Bottom