The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

Update. Printed and followed the guide. What a great tool! It was very helpful in my first ever cleaning!

Cleaned the pots, the switch, and various other contact points. I was nervous at first but once I jumped in there I felt good about what I was doing. I didn't feel like I was going to break everything I came in contact with.

Anyway my right channel doesn't fade and all is well! As a newbie I appreciate this post. Thanks OP!

Deoxit Problem

I recapped a lot of old hallicrafter radios and I used a drop of Wd-40 on switches and had good look. Then I seen everyone was using Deoxit, I bought Deoxit and Deoxit gold but I end up with a scratchy feel on band switches. I switched to this hobby and AK now and have not used anything but Deoxit on Marantz and such stereo systems. It seems Deoxit leaves a scratchy feel on band switches does not glide through on any switch with several positions, anyone else have this problem or a suggestion to get a better feel with Deoxit? Not knocking Deoxit I really like it for cassette head cleaning and the fact it's clean and evaporates fast.
:nono:

I recapped a lot of old hallicrafter radios and I used a drop of Wd-40 on switches and had good look. Then I seen everyone was using Deoxit, I bought Deoxit and Deoxit gold but I end up with a scratchy feel on band switches. I switched to this hobby and AK now and have not used anything but Deoxit on Marantz and such stereo systems. It seems Deoxit leaves a scratchy feel on band switches does not glide through on any switch with several positions, anyone else have this problem or a suggestion to get a better feel with Deoxit? Not knocking Deoxit I really like it for cassette head cleaning and the fact it's clean and evaporates fast.
:nono:

How about a drop or two of Faderlube after the other DeOxit products? I did that on my Marantz 2015 and it is butter smooth.

DeOxit followed by fader lube just saved my wife's beloved 1977 maytag washing machine. It is vintage and analog. It is also that putrid olive green color from the 70's.

DeOxit followed by fader lube just saved my wife's beloved 1977 maytag washing machine. It is vintage and analog. It is also that putrid olive green color from the 70's.

Heh, another appliance save. Not sure if you like keeping it going though, my Kenmore dryer is from 1985 and still going, just need to change the felt bearings for the drum to quiet it down.

Maybe you should strip the color and re-veneer it to walnut or rosewood? :scratch2::scratch2::D

another 'Hooray!' for DeOxit D5.

Volume pot and listen selector were playing up on my son's Adcom GFP-555. Out to the garage and had at it. Since it was opened for the first time, I just did everything. Perfection.

Wife's Sansa e250's volume/control ring acting up. I'd cleaned the contacts years ago with isopropyl and it was better but not perfect. Got really bad and bought a 'broken' unit on ebay hoping to swap parts into hers. Opened each one and cleaned them. Now have two perfectly functioning units. $7 total for the 'broken' one.

Just have to love the stuff.

Great set of instructions but one minor detail missing

Step one should really be to unplug the equipment in question.

And later during the "testing and recleaning" phase, attention should be paid to similar safety precautions.

A little mention of the potential danger of un-discharged capacitors might also be in order.

Otherwise this is a wonderful resource for the DIY hifi enthusiast!

All the best,

Huw Powell
HUMAN Speakers

Regarding Bose 901 Equalizer...

I have not read all the pages, so do not know if this is covered already...

I have owned Bose 901 Series II speakers since about 1975 or their inception, got them about the time they came to market. For the past few years, more than I will admit, I have fussed with the Tape Monitor switch, never took it apart and will admit I was afraid. Recently I had the opportunity to have a woodworker-friend make me a cherry case to replace the MDF/contact paper cover. Low and behold, the switches are an open-chassis type and cleaning was never easier. While I might have been able to actually get a narrow contact cleaner in there, I took the "easy" route and used my old can of Radio Schack contact cleaner spray...

Why didn't I do this years ago? Next up, trying to convince myself to do the electrolytic caps...

Deoxit is often the silver bullet people want, and it has been for me at times as well. Just remember all things in moderation. The correct product must be used for any application as using the incorrect product can cause damage.

Just want to say Thanks Arkay & everyone else who has contributed in this thread.

I've spent today stripping, rebuilding & cleaning the pots on my HD770's as well as some much needed TLC on the wiring and crossover. All four speakers in each box are singing sweetly again

Cheers & thanks again

Rob

Step one should really be to unplug the equipment in question.

And later during the "testing and recleaning" phase, attention should be paid to similar safety precautions.

A little mention of the potential danger of un-discharged capacitors might also be in order.

Otherwise this is a wonderful resource for the DIY hifi enthusiast!

All the best,

Huw Powell
HUMAN Speakers

been there...smoked that. i lost a sansui qrx9001 spraying deoxite and/or prolube (orange oily stuff in a can that came with the deoxit) everywhere...and yeah, i like to spray everything with it plugged in and playing.

im glad to be alive.
but i didnt learn.
i did something similar with a sansui qrx7001....dropped my little screwdriver in the machine...while on and playing a cd. SMH

fwiw...i really need this thread - maybe i should give it a go on a sansui 8080? im losing the right channel.

thanks for this

sansuigirl

Before there was DeOxit, there was THE REAL THING, Cramolin (as re-packed by Monster Cable here in 1982).

p3090412.jpg

ebay pictures

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!q8FJTtcfSQwBS,TN257Hg~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!q8FJTtcfSQwBS,TN257Hg~~60_57.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 43
  • $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 33
A vacuum and a brush. I cheat and use compressed air sometimes, but that can blow stuff where you don't want it. Especially bad around tuners gangs and glass face plates.

yeah....and if you use an air compressor - instead of canned air (i guess) it will spit out water you dont care about when you are putting air in a tire...but im pretty sure whatever water is coming out of the air compressor is prolly not that good for electronics.

there is an air compressor filter that will catch the stuff - jftr

still building up the courage to clean a sansui 8080DB....db board being bypassed...so i guess its now a sansui 8080

ssg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom