The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Arkay, Jan 27, 2009.

1. CAIG Labs

CAIG Labs Manufacturer of DeoxIT Sponsor Subscriber

2. wentberg

wentberg New Member

Hello, I am a beginner to this and I cleaned my Sansui A-555 with Deoxit D5 to clean my pots with today. After this i noticed that the volume and balance-knobs were not as nice to rotate anymore as they were before. It feels cheap and not as high quality anymore and this is something I wanted to fix.

I ordered Deoxit FaderGrease and DeoxitF100L. How do I use these? Is the grease only to be used on the shack and the F100L I can put into the pot like I did with the D5?

3. CAIG Labs

CAIG Labs Manufacturer of DeoxIT Sponsor Subscriber

We need a little bit more info from you. What type of pot? it is rotary?
    Is it metal or conductive plastic?

4. loudnoises

loudnoises Escalates Quickly Subscriber

It's common after cleaning for a pot to feel raw. Often it means it isn't quite clean yet, and you should flush it again if you're not sure you cleaned it completely.
    Using a lubricant, after cleaning will help restore the smoothness you're missing. I use crc 2-26, the deoxit stuff is great too (but virtually impossible to find in stores - that's a hint CAIG Labs - get on some shelves!) The cleaners get rid of dirt and lubrication, you want to replace the lubrication after cleaning. It's not 100% required, but without that step you'll likely be back in cleaning the pot again in the near future.

5. Champco

Champco Active Member

6. Champco

Champco Active Member

Like you I am new to Deoxit but not to Craig products. I looked at the link provided. It confuses when compared to what is being commonly sold today as DeoxirD5

What Deoxit D5 has a lot of in it is mineral spirits. I use Mineral spirits a lot to clean things as it does dissolve grease and it evaporates. When it evaporates it leaves no residue behind. It does evaporate slow. As this is a odorless it will most likely be even slower. I am not surprised your controls feel different.
    Instructions say to use small spray, operate switch, (helps cover all the surface) spray again (to flush?). I would not power it up. I would move the control periodically for a time giving it a good long chance to evaporate. Spray a spot on a dish to see how long it takes to completely evaporate.

Some instructions.
    https://system.netsuite.com/core/me...e=149350&promocode=&promocodeaction=overwrite

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  7. Champco

Champco Active Member

Craig had some products for cleaning and lubricating electronics. I found a old can of Cramoline D2 with a little left in the can. The companion cleaner spray was a much larger can that had some form of trietholin to evaporate after cleaning. The D2 was used to lube afterwards.. I think. So lod it has paper wrapped around the can.
    I got the Deoxit on Amazon.

8. bolero

bolero Well-Known Member

I was wondering about some kind of lube, to get the smooth feel back to the pots after using deoxit etc

the thick, smooth feel of the pot turning is gone now, and it spins way too easily