The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

Can I use D5 on tube sockets and tube pins? Also on cassette heads?
I would imagine the sockets and pins would be fine. Just make sure they are completely dry.

As for the tape heads, highest % of isopropyl alcohol you can find (91% or better) and cotton swabs. If you have easy access to the heads, camera lens tissue (I feel) does a better job cleaning.

Does all Deoxit have the same active ingredient? Like if I don't have one type on hand, does it make sense to substitute another?

Depends? I generally use the green can w fader lube on pots and rotary switches. cleans and lubes in one step, but not the best for everything. Definitely not anything you don't want to remain a tad "greasy."

And that's minus shipping. As I have stated elsewhere, it's still overpriced.

The secret to Parts Express is ordering $100 or more to get free shipping. AFTER you've used the constant supply of promo codes for 10% off or more of your total order. They sell everything except snake oil. Well, not much snake oil anyway. Best place to buy CL2 12 ga speaker wire ever.

"Honey, I am out of deoxit, but I need to also get this subwoofer driver to get free shipping on the order."

Get a $2.98 can of CRC "226" silicone lubricant and a can of CRC "Lectra Clean" (for $7.98: the BLUE CAN...not the red one to degrease engine parts) and give a small microburst of each into the pots'/switches' openings for the same result.
The notion of bathing the highly conductive innards -certainly around RELAY COILS- of an electronic component is what would really be IDIOTICo_O.
[P.S. the thorough way to get 45 years of tarnish out of a RCA connector is: to unravel the excess off an end of a Q-tip and lightly coat it in metal polish and work the Q-tip inside the jack (until it's completely black); then, unravel a clean Q-tip to buff the inner pin until you can see the reflection inside from a light underneath while the bottom pan is off. Clean any residue out with more unravelled Q-tips dipped in mineral spirits then blow it out with a (manually-operated) can of $5.98 compressed air duster. It's a tedious process of a restoration...but it's a detail to make sure EVERYTHING MAKES 100% "NEW" CONTACT.]

Get a $2.98 can of CRC "226" silicone lubricant and a can of CRC "Lectra Clean" (for $7.98: the BLUE CAN...not the red one to degrease engine parts) and give a small microburst of each into the pots'/switches' openings for the same result.
The notion of bathing the highly conductive innards -certainly around RELAY COILS- of an electronic component is what would really be IDIOTICo_O.
[P.S. the thorough way to get 45 years of tarnish out of a RCA connector is: to unravel the excess off an end of a Q-tip and lightly coat it in metal polish and work the Q-tip inside the jack (until it's completely black); then, unravel a clean Q-tip to buff the inner pin until you can see the reflection inside from a light underneath while the bottom pan is off. Clean any residue out with more unravelled Q-tips dipped in mineral spirits then blow it out with a (manually-operated) can of $5.98 compressed air duster. It's a tedious process of a restoration...but it's a detail to make sure EVERYTHING MAKES 100% "NEW" CONTACT.]

Newbie here. Was at an estate sale and bought this Realistic STA-2100 to replace my now defunct SA-500. The thing is basically perfect sans the low filter button. I have to mess with it a bit to get both channels to play at the same time (regardless of which section I am using). I was hoping someone can tell me if using deoxit on a spring loaded push button the same as described here for switches is the right thing to do. Never have worked on electronics before and may end up selling due to divorce threats from the wife (Darn thing just begs to be played at half volume). Is this something for a novice to try-n-fix, or should I just pass it along to someone with skills.

New guy posting. This is great info. I took the original guide, and made a document out of it, for easy printing and my reading later tonight.
I have it in MS Word and Adobe PDF, in case anyone wants it.

Thanks y'all!!! I apprec. the information and reading the "lessons learned" here.
Tommy

Beautiful post and I Thank You for it ! Where can I buy DeOxit in the Royal Oak Ferndale area of Michigan ? I’m about out and I don’t want to start the cleaning of my Harmon Kardon HK505 without a fresh can in hand .

Beautiful post and I Thank You for it ! Where can I buy DeOxit in the Royal Oak Ferndale area of Michigan ? I’m about out and I don’t want to start the cleaning of my Harmon Kardon HK505 without a fresh can in hand .
You can order DeoxIT from one of our distributors in Michigan: SF Supply, Audio Advisor or Apollo AV. Here is the link to distributors info: https://caig.com/distributors/

Check to see if there is a Guitar Center or some other musicians store in your area. They will likely carry it on the shelf. My local Guitar Center does.

Newbie here. Was at an estate sale and bought this Realistic STA-2100 to replace my now defunct SA-500. The thing is basically perfect sans the low filter button. I have to mess with it a bit to get both channels to play at the same time (regardless of which section I am using). I was hoping someone can tell me if using deoxit on a spring loaded push button the same as described here for switches is the right thing to do. Never have worked on electronics before and may end up selling due to divorce threats from the wife (Darn thing just begs to be played at half volume). Is this something for a novice to try-n-fix, or should I just pass it along to someone with skills.
it's great for that
does your new Realistic have the round transformer? If it does that is a killer receiver
I've been looking for one of those with the round transformer the later ones had to change that and I don't think they sound as good
GREAT score

I use red Deoxit for metal to metal contacts on push buttons and rotatory switches .
I use green Deoxit for pots (volume ,bass etc...) .
Do most pots have a carbon element to a metal wiper?
Is red D ok for carbon ?

Back
Top Bottom