The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Arkay, Jan 27, 2009.

1. John James

John James "Bob's your uncle" (Stolen) Subscriber

Whether it's worth the price or not is a matter of opinion.

mech986 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. VBB

VBB New Member

Can I use D5 on tube sockets and tube pins? Also on cassette heads?

3. trikster

trikster Well-Known Member

I would imagine the sockets and pins would be fine. Just make sure they are completely dry.

As for the tape heads, highest % of isopropyl alcohol you can find (91% or better) and cotton swabs. If you have easy access to the heads, camera lens tissue (I feel) does a better job cleaning.

VBB likes this.
  4. Arthur Smith

Arthur Smith Well-Known Member

If you watch YouTube, there are some who spray it all over, everywhere. I call them as "restorers by can".

5. thurber

thurber AK Subscriber Subscriber

Does all Deoxit have the same active ingredient? Like if I don't have one type on hand, does it make sense to substitute another?

BrianKBaur likes this.
  6. BrianKBaur

BrianKBaur New Member

Depends? I generally use the green can w fader lube on pots and rotary switches. cleans and lubes in one step, but not the best for everything. Definitely not anything you don't want to remain a tad "greasy."

Please register to disable this ad.

7. BrianKBaur

BrianKBaur New Member

The secret to Parts Express is ordering $100 or more to get free shipping. AFTER you've used the constant supply of promo codes for 10% off or more of your total order. They sell everything except snake oil. Well, not much snake oil anyway. Best place to buy CL2 12 ga speaker wire ever.

"Honey, I am out of deoxit, but I need to also get this subwoofer driver to get free shipping on the order."