The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

Anyone ever use Deoxit on washing machine timers??
I use it on all kinds of electronics.. from iPhones to the contacts on my whole house electronic air filters. I also am a big fan of DeOxit Shield for some of the abused locations.. like the attic filters.

I'm thinking about using deoxit for the heater control unit in my car because it's not blowing heat on the passenger side of the car just the drivers side, what's everyone's take on this idea

Have you checked the owner's manual to see if there are diagnostics for the heat and air unit? My 2003 Honda was giving me some trouble sort of like that. A procedure from the manual cleared it up. It had to do with a door sticking somewhere in the dash.

Well it's been to the shop and everything was ok with the actuators then they said the heater core was plugged but if that was true then there would be no heat at all you would think. The I went to justanswers.com and they agreed with me about the heater core not being plugged so then they said the control unit was probably bad, I figured maybe it was dirty.

You deserve the "MVP" Most Valuable Post award, thank you very much!
Can De-oxit be used safety to clean silver faceplates?
If, not, what do you suggest that I use?

Just used the D to clean off the button contacts in my DVR remote.

This was a replacement for the original which had the same button not connecting issue and I had tried cleaning it with rubbing alcohol, which didn't help. I'm hoping I still have it.

I've had good luck cleaning casework with a damp sponge with a trace of Murphy's oil soap. Best to unplug the gear first.

Man I love some Deoxit! Living on a farm it is used to clean pump switches, motor relays, contacts in electrical fences, swimming pool pump components, contacts in trolling motors, you name it. Being a vintage audio enthusiast I have gotten to a point where I source gear and sell it to a retailer or sell myself, trade with other enthusiast, or clean things up and enjoy. I go through about a can a month between myself and friends who use my shop.
Here’s the kicker, once I can no longer source the original older style tip I will absolutely never buy this product as long as it comes with the (Perfect Straw) contraption.
How in the hell did this (Perfect Straw) pass quality control? If even the slightest testing was done in a real world environment it would HAVE to show how awful this design is. It puddles up in the cap, well, what doesn’t flow out on to your components or work surface but then you turn the can up and all that puddling spills out. I’m wasting a considerable portion of this product at 2.25 to 3 dollars an ounce. I have to put a towel down to catch this mess and just makes a simple job a hassle.
For whatever reason WD-40’s (Perfect Straw) seems to work as designed. I hate this, a super product that does an outstanding job failing miserably with a design that for whatever reason was needed. Between myself and a friend we ordered 18 cans of the old style from PE, hope these are available in the future. Someone actually gave me two cans with the (Perfect Straw) it was either that or in the trash. I use those cans to spray in a bowl when I need to clean parts with a brush. I sincerely hope this isn’t an example of the future in spray can technology.

Man I love some Deoxit! Living on a farm it is used to clean pump switches, motor relays, contacts in electrical fences, swimming pool pump components, contacts in trolling motors, you name it. Being a vintage audio enthusiast I have gotten to a point where I source gear and sell it to a retailer or sell myself, trade with other enthusiast, or clean things up and enjoy. I go through about a can a month between myself and friends who use my shop.
Here’s the kicker, once I can no longer source the original older style tip I will absolutely never buy this product as long as it comes with the (Perfect Straw) contraption.
How in the hell did this (Perfect Straw) pass quality control? If even the slightest testing was done in a real world environment it would HAVE to show how awful this design is. It puddles up in the cap, well, what doesn’t flow out on to your components or work surface but then you turn the can up and all that puddling spills out. I’m wasting a considerable portion of this product at 2.25 to 3 dollars an ounce. I have to put a towel down to catch this mess and just makes a simple job a hassle.
For whatever reason WD-40’s (Perfect Straw) seems to work as designed. I hate this, a super product that does an outstanding job failing miserably with a design that for whatever reason was needed. Between myself and a friend we ordered 18 cans of the old style from PE, hope these are available in the future. Someone actually gave me two cans with the (Perfect Straw) it was either that or in the trash. I use those cans to spray in a bowl when I need to clean parts with a brush. I sincerely hope this isn’t an example of the future in spray can technology.
I am right there with you. I’m running out of rags to catch the literal puddles that the new can pours out in waste when I’m literally just trying to hit some pots on scratchy controls. Here’s to hoping a product this good goes back to a delivery system that is effective.

I just tried one of those magic eraser things on some stubborn spots on a silver faceplate and the results were amazing. I just wouldn't go too crazy on lettering.

So, on my Realistic Receiver, would i just use Deoxit D5 for the mode switch, that instead of circular contact points, has a gear that drives a plastic contacter down a track. It's the left most switch on an STA-800 for selecting AM, FM, FM stereo, AUX, Phono, Tape.

Just go w/Deoxit D5?

So, on my Realistic Receiver, would i just use Deoxit D5 for the mode switch, that instead of circular contact points, has a gear that drives a plastic contacter down a track. It's the left most switch on an STA-800 for selecting AM, FM, FM stereo, AUX, Phono, Tape.

Just go w/Deoxit D5?
Yeah those are contact switches so likely no carbon at all. D5 will provide a good flushing action and help take out any corrosion on the contact. After that, you can use Deoxit Gold (G5 or G100, any will works) to bring the metals up to the highest conductive efficiencies and provide protection from contaminants.

However, if you plan to start working on equipments and/or may need to clean your potentiometers in a near future, I suggest you get 100's series product. Those doesn't contain any solvent, so no risk with carbon type potentiomenters we encounter in a lot of vintage gear.

So, what are the essentials list of Caig products I should consider, knowing that generally you need to:

1. Clean contacts
2. Clean potentiometers
3. Clean tuners
4. Clean slide type potentiometers

Anything else?

Back
Top Bottom