The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

2 Things:

I have never used deoxit before - is there ANY way someone could show pictures of what is being described? I really do not want to screw this up, and I only have 1 shot at it! :thmbsp:

Secondly, I have read on other websites that using the chemical cleaner can shatter the plastic stops inside the volume control (and other control knobs?). It was recommended to use fine grade machine oil in lieu of a chemical cleaner. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Deoxit was designed for this stuff, so you are fine.
Also, why do you only have one shot?

Deoxit was designed for this stuff, so you are fine.
Also, why do you only have one shot?

One shot to do it right the first time without really screwing something up!

By the way, is it ok to get a little overspray on other parts, wires etc? Also, assuming my receiver is filthy on the inside, what can I use to get the dust off of everything else? Is isopropyl alcohol safe?

Last edited:
I was looking for this the other day. it looks like I did everything right except I didn't clean the fuses and don't have any kind of lube.

I also cleaned off the board because it was really dusty.

2 Things:

I have never used deoxit before - is there ANY way someone could show pictures of what is being described? I really do not want to screw this up, and I only have 1 shot at it! :thmbsp:

At some stage, I'll try to add pics to this. In the middle of other things, and as anyone here will tell you, I'm notoriously bad about pics --not posting them, that is!-- but truth be told, the reasons I didn't post them in the past no longer apply, so maybe I'll start with these. That is IF I can get my little "PhD" digital camera to take decent enough close-ups. I can certainly see how pics would be an improvement over all that text alone.

Secondly, I have read on other websites that using the chemical cleaner can shatter the plastic stops inside the volume control (and other control knobs?). It was recommended to use fine grade machine oil in lieu of a chemical cleaner. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Some chemical cleaners may weaken or dissolve plastic parts. Some say right on the cans that they are NOT to be used on plastics. However, DeOxit explicitly says it is safe for plastics, and I haven't heard of anyone having the problem you describe when using DeOxit. Only with other cleaners.

[As for the rest of this thread, thanks for all the positive feedback, guys, that got this post "stickied". It is humbling. Thanks, too, for filling in so many suggestions that I failed to include in the original post. I WILL try to add pictures, although it may take a few weeks ... or months... :D]

One shot to do it right the first time without really screwing something up!

By the way, is it ok to get a little overspray on other parts, wires etc? Also, assuming my receiver is filthy on the inside, what can I use to get the dust off of everything else? Is isopropyl alcohol safe?

Its fairly tough to mess it up, as it does not really damage anything.

...By the way, is it ok to get a little overspray on other parts, wires etc?...

It's almost unavoidable, DeOxit travels far and wide...quickly! What I try to do is support whatever I'm working on in such a way that the overspray will take the shortest route to drain out of the component. If a pot or set of pots is a subassembly, sometimes the wiring harness will be long enough to let you move the subassembly out of the way to do the cleaning. A few sections of newspaper underneath will keep the mess to a minimum.

:thmbsp: on the sticky! Great info.

Can any fellow Canadians confirm if they've seen it in Radio Shack? I asked last time I was there and the guy had no idea what I was talking about. So where do you get DeOxit in Canada?

Nope Radio Shack AKA "The Source by circuit city" do not carry deoxit here in Canada.....they do Two cleaning sprays, one is a contact cleaner spray, the other is more like Deoxit in that it cleans and lubricates contacts, they call that product "Tuner cleaner spray" its sold out here in Fredericton, but according to the web its in stock (1 tin) in a nearby town $14.99 a tin........

Hi SouthP
I'm not sure where you live so I will include a link for a company in Canada called
Asalco. They have outlets in most of Canada.

http://www.asalco.com/dist_electronique_en.asp

Get cleaning
Karl / Beaver

According to Caigs website, Asalco is Canada's "new" master distributor. RP Electronics in Burnaby, Golite Electronics in Edmonton, Parts Conexion in Burlington also listed as carrying it. Here's a link to their master distributor list - go to the last page
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.15/category.225/ctype.SS/SS.225/.f

Caigs website also confirms Radio Shack (not the Source) as a new distributor as well.

I found locally here Interior (Queale) Electronics say they usually have it, but were sold out when I was there. They offered to bring it in. So if you have a local electronics wholesale / retail outlet of some sort you might just find they can get it for you. Also musical instrument and professional audio outlets that do repairs may have it - but more likely for their own use.

Great Job Arkay

I don't know why I did not see the originally archived version. But I surely wish that I had!
Cheers Arkay!

I had a really annoying problem with intermittent channel drop-out on my Thorens. Suffered with it for six months, and then finally got some Deoxit and FaderLube from Guitar Center for $30 total. (Avoid the small combo pack at RatShack. Half the price but about one-tenth the quantity, if that.)

I had my doubts that this would fix the problem, but I was wrong. It works perfectly now!

Then, yesterday, I noticed that our portable multi-region DVD player, which we are using as our main DVD player now, was on the fritz. All of a sudden, massive hum coming out of the TV, plus super-distorted picture. (The sound and the picture on the small portable player's screen was fine, though.) Hmm...I thought--could Caig come to the rescue again? A spraying down of DVD output jacks and TV RCA inputs and she works perfectly. My wife was annoyed when she saw that charge on our credit card bill originally. Now she's happy--since either one of us would have stopped using the DVD player immediately before I knew about Deoxit--and so am I!

Thanks, AK--I learned about it here!

What about tuners. Is there a Deoxit product for them?

I have had very good success using rubbing alcohol applied with a soft 1 inch paint brush to the tuning fins. Remember it take about 5 minutes for the alcohol to evaporate.

I have had very good success using rubbing alcohol applied with a soft 1 inch paint brush to the tuning fins. Remember it take about 5 minutes for the alcohol to evaporate.

Rubbing alcohol is only something like 76 percent alcohol, with most of the rest, water. Water is bad for metals and electronics. I would suggest that if you are going to use alcohol on any of your electronic gear, get 99% pure stuff from a chemical supply place, instead of the usual drugstore "rubbing" stuff.

For you Canadians looking for DeOxit, I found mine at Long & McQuade, the music store.

We have a "Music stop" i think that store is owned by Long & McQuade, i wonder if they have it there........i must check....

Last edited:
Rubbing alcohol is only something like 76 percent alcohol, with most of the rest, water. Water is bad for metals and electronics. I would suggest that if you are going to use alcohol on any of your electronic gear, get 99% pure stuff from a chemical supply place, instead of the usual drugstore "rubbing" stuff.

Rubbing alcohol can have 70 to 99% ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol with the remainder being water, possibly dyes and possibly oils.

Back
Top Bottom