1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

The Inner Light, Star Trek TNG, S5E25, The greatest Episode of the whole series

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by transmaster, Dec 19, 2017.

1. sqlsavior

sqlsavior AK Subscriber Subscriber

That episode really stuck out for me, too.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Super Member

I know there isn't much love for Voyager, but BBC America runs weekly episodes, and there are some gems.

Maybe not of the caliber of Inner Light, but just got done watching "Distant Origin" that has a very cohesive, riveting, and thought provoking final act.

This is what makes sci fi great and cause one to pause and ponder the parallels to the human condition. For those with open eyes, one 'sees the mirror'...and the reflection.

Great stuff.

RT Fan likes this.
  3. Eric H

Eric H AK Subscriber Subscriber

I liked Voyage a lot, one episode that stands out to me is "Course: Oblivion" episode 18 from season 5.
    Don't want to give anything away but things literally start to disintegrate on Voyage for reasons unknown (until later in the episode).

4. transmaster

transmaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

I agree Distant Origin (S3E23) is one of the best of the entire Voyager series. The turnaround of dinosaurs studying the bones of a human like paleontologists now studies the bones of dinosaurs is thought provoking.

5. Raynald

Raynald Addicted Member

I also agree, I did not watch a lot of Voyager after the first couple of seasons but I stumbled on that one and was very impressed.

And yes, The Inner Light might have been the best Trek episode.

6. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

Some of the Voyager episodes were very good, others not so much. Pretty much what you can say for most shows that ran for multiple years. I'm bad about remembering names and specific episodes but I know the dinosaur paleo one you speak of. That was good, and interesting in the way that good sci-fi is meant to be.

7. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

For me, the best TNG episode was the two part Chain of Command story.

Patrick Stewart pulled out all the stops for that one. Inner Light is a close second. The last half of TNG's run had some very good episodes that were well written, acted and directed.

Raynald likes this.
  8. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

you mean the first season wasn't the peak? :)

9. ducati_EL34

ducati_EL34 Super Member

The first season should have got the show cancelled. However, cooler heads prevailed and the show was allowed to continue, Wesley was removed and the improved. :D

10. screenersam

screenersam aka Blind Sugar McGee

FYI this ep is scheduled to air Thursday Feb 1 at 1 pm Eastern on BBCA

never watched much but I'm going to record this one.

11. screenersam

I have a memory of a ST:TNG ep in which they find the remains of a lost race (Hooskritz? or something like that) and one old man wandering around. they're trying to figure out what happened to them and at the end the old man admits he killed them ('I killed ALL the Hooskritz."), suggesting he somehow took out the whole bunch, possibly some on other planets. Picard wisely decides to leave the guy alone ('not for us to judge his guilt or innocence').
    any ideas which ep this was?

Raynald likes this.

12. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Super Member

The Survivors - Season 3

screenersam likes this.
  13. Raynald

Raynald Addicted Member

Yes, one of my all time favorites of all the Star Trek. Chilling ending.

screenersam likes this.
  14. screenersam

that's it!

the aliens were called the Husnock

John Anderson, who played the old man, was the pilot in the Twilight Zone episode about the plane lost in time; he was also the alien in the Outer Limits episode 'Nightmare'. great character actor.

15. Raynald

Raynald Addicted Member

Did not realize he was in "Nightmare", thanks for pointing that out.

16. Eric H

Eric H AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just watched The Survivors on Netflix, while I thought it was good it wasn't my favorite episode.

While I was in a STTNG mood and browsing season three I also watched Yesterdays Enterprise, to me that is a great episode.
    It's seems many of the best episodes are based around time travel of some sort.

In Yesterdays Enterprise an older version of the Enterprise goes forward 22 years to Picard's time, where The Federation has been at war with the Klingons for 20 years and only Guinan can sense that something is very wrong.

https://them0vieblog.com/2014/02/14/star-trek-the-next-generation-yesterdays-enterprise-review/

Raynald likes this.