The KEF R107 - How deep is the soul?

SimplySound

Kent Engineering & Fondry
Subscriber
Well... I guess in my case, my soul is two pairs deep!

Yes the rumors are true and yes many call me crazy (especially my girlfriend!). But when you fall deep for the KEF Reference 107, it’s hard to think clearly. Not that more is better, but the love of the One is worthy of the many! :yes:

In my best Yoda voice... "Seek them you will, find them you must!"

IMG_8387.JPG

As for this particular pair, I had been angling them for a little while. I had to play some games and there are issues to be sure, but they are basically mint. And it is hard to find them in this shape and Rosewood to boot.

So my Quest has become an Adventure or maybe more accurately, a Journey. Many have read my Quest Ramblings here and so you may wonder; "What on earth are you going to do with two pairs of KEF Reference 107’s Simply?"

Well that my Karma Friends is where the Journey begins! ;)

Last edited:
A Story of a Wheeler Dealer of a Flipper!

First my friends, a little about how this deal went down....

I stumbled upon this pair of KEF’s doing what I routinely do, crawling through Craig’s looking for anything KEF. They were advertised in Tucson, AZ for $600, with the bass surrounds needing help. A common issue! And unfortunately, the KUBE had been sold off. But what I saw seemed to indicate that the speakers were in awesome shape otherwise. I sent an email only to be told that they had been sold and so I quickly put them out of my mind. "There will be others!", I said to myself.

Then, as is so often the case, they turned back up on the Tucson CL, but this time for $1300. I shrugged and shook my head; “Damn Flippers!”, I said. This is when I re-contacted the original owner and he said yeah, the guy who bought them was a real “wheeler dealer” kind of guy who probably would end up having to sit on them. So I waited and watched!

Well after a while they went down to $1200, but I was in no rush. Until finally I saw them for $600 and then I jumped in. Well now it got real interesting. You see, the guy pulls the old bait and switch and tells me he had a pair for $600 but the bass units were in need of a re-foam and he already sold them. But he had another pair in mint shape for $1200. As you can imagine, I said, “Yeah right, sorry but no deal. Hope you find another buyer.”

But now I had his attention. A few days went by and the guy calls me back and says; “Listen, if you want them I’ll sell them, for $1000.” Well I told him I was interested, but I’d have to think about it and work out the logistics. This is when we really got down to brass tacks.

He didn’t really want to deal through email, so I shunned his calls. I’d send him emails asking him a few questions at a time; Did he have detailed pictures? Any major damage or issues I should know about? What was the finish like? You know, stuff to keep him moving forward but dragging my feet a bit.

He told me there was no KUBE (yeah, I already knew that from the previous seller) so I acquiesced a little bit on that, making sure to note that even though it wasn’t a big deal to me, it impacted the overall value. I wanted to make sure the Top Hats were solid and the screens were on the heads and the heads weren’t blown. Back and forth we went and he came back with all the right answers. Excellent condition, all of the working parts, except no KUBE. OK, time to play ball.

I hit him with the real deal; “So how are the Bass Driver surrounds?”, I asked. “Oh their fine”, he said, “Must have been repaired a while back.” Then I told him straight up; “Look, I’m going to drive quite a ways to come look at these. I already own a pair and I’ve rebuilt them. There are 6 screws and the bottom plate comes off and I will be looking at the condition of the surrounds. If the Surrounds are gone, what will be the deal then, because I want you and me to have an understanding how this will go down!”

Oh how the tune changed. I get an email back saying to the effect that he wanted to check them to see if there would be any issues and sure enough the surrounds need to be redone. "So would $800 work for the pair?", he asked. I swallowed hard and said; "Sure, you got a deal!!!!"

Yeah, I spent $100 in gas and 5 hours of my life to pick them up on my way back from a bike trip in Sedona. I paid a couple hundred more than this guy had in them but I guess in the end once the big KEF’s have touched your Soul, nothing else seems to matter! What is it they say? Yeah... love is blind!
;)

Last edited:
What ya gonna do with all that love Simply?

Well, with the IMF project winding down and having witnessed first hand how well those did with a re-cap I have some great plans for these. First of all I have been using a single DCM TF-700 as my single rear channel speaker. It’s been fine, but it doesn’t really provide the dynamic impact that the other speakers do.

So long term I will maintain a pair of the R107’s running as the mains with the KUBE. Basically what I have set up currently. But first thing I will do is rebuild one of the secondary pair and use it as the rear channel speaker. Basically having the R107’s in a three way arrangement (two front, one rear) with the IMF’s on the side-surrounds. Ought to be interesting to be planted smack in the middle of that manage-et-tois! :eek:

Now the “spare cabinet" will allow me to rotate in a cabinet to the mix as I upgrade some things. Upgrade you say? How do you upgrade a KEF R107? Well first off there is the recapping that will be done. First the Bass Cabinet cross-over and then the heads. While the heads are being worked on, I intend to work on replacing the ferro-fluid in the T33's. I've heard it isn't that hard but takes some patience. I'll document everything, so that becomes a part of the adventure.

Finally, as some have mentioned, there are alternatives to the T33’s. I think it might be interesting to play around a bit with different drivers and see how they sound.

I guess bottom-line is, having the extra speaker gives me a great platform to maintain my existing system, make updates and improvements and be able to clearly evaluate each change and how it impacts the overall sound. It is going to give me something to work with and rotate in and out of the system as I try to fully restore these Legends. And if something should heaven forbid happen, I have some spares if I need them.

But the Quest continues! I know out there somewhere is a KUBE 107 that is missing it's speakers... always have to have something to seek in search of the Soul!

In the end there's lots to play around with, and isn't that why we do this? Most importantly, I hope eveyone enjoys the Journey! :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Congrats on your second pair !! The Kef 107 is a speaker I've never heard, but would love to if the opportunity ever presents itself!

Damn dude - two sets of these.

Well done!

Finding a Kube shouldn't prove to be too difficult since you can pretty much take all the time you want, already owning a pair of the 107's that have the Kube.

You know, now I might just have to keep my eyes peeled for another pair of IMF Reference Mk IV's just to up the ante here. ;)

I'm looking forward to hearing how your restoration goes with these - I am certain the same restorations will improve my Kef 104/2's which I am looking forward to getting back up to snuff soon. It's kinda funny how you own the Kef 107's and the IMF TLS 50 II's, and I own the IMF RSPM Mk IV's and the Kef 104/2's. Looks like we both like the same school of sound.

They are amazing speakers.
Lived with mine for many years but I really did prefer them without the Kube. Soundstage didn't seem as open with it in circuit. Needs an amp with significant output current capability to really sing.

Pity they had to go :tears:

I feel privileged to have just scored a nice pair of Kef 107's off CL. The walnut exterior is in excellent condition, just can't stop looking at them. I will be re grilling the heads this week, re-foaming the woofers and trying to decide what to do with the tweeter, might just have the ferrous fluid restored. Now I just need to find a KUBE!

Yeah guys, I guess I am kinda obsessed! :yes:

Some might say, "Why would you get another pair of something you already own? Why not play the field a bit?"

But I do think it gives me some flexability now to play around with these and if anything should ever happen there's a spare hanging out just waiting to come into the lineup!

As for the KUBE, you all are right... we need to get a KUBE for Thundermud's pair! I've got a KUBE on the front pair and don't need one for the single rear, so I'm good! It would be nice to find one though to make them complete sets.

And Canucker... those RSPM's are to die for. I'd love to bump into a pair some day! Having heard how the TLS-50's compare to the 107's I'm sure the IMF Reference Monitors are every bit of what the 107 has going for it!

Well, back to finishing the IMF restore so I can get on with this project... getting a little backed up at my house! ;)

Yeah guys, I guess I am kinda obsessed! :yes:

Some might say, "Why would you get another pair of something you already own? Why not play the field a bit?"

But I do think it gives me some flexability now to play around with these and if anything should ever happen there's a spare hanging out just waiting to come into the lineup!

As for the KUBE, you all are right... we need to get a KUBE for Thundermud's pair! I've got a KUBE on the front pair and don't need one for the single rear, so I'm good! It would be nice to find one though to make them complete sets.

And Canucker... those RSPM's are to die for. I'd love to bump into a pair some day! Having heard how the TLS-50's compare to the 107's I'm sure the IMF Reference Monitors are every bit of what the 107 has going for it!

Well, back to finishing the IMF restore so I can get on with this project... getting a little backed up at my house! ;)

Woohoo! :D

The RSPM's and the 107's.. that would be an interesting comparison. I think the 107 would have the edge - maybe a slight edge, at best, thanks to its separated monitors on the top of the cabinets and the complicated crossover. Of course, I think the RSPM would have the 107 beat in the bass department but by how much is hard to say. The two are in two entirely different price brackets as well - the RSPM being about $3400 MSRP (where I'm from) and the 107 being $6500 MSRP (again, where I'm from), the RSPM made from 76-81, the 107 made around 87. Maybe I'll bump into a pair of 107's one of these days! It's definitely on the list of speakers to get.

I have a friend with a pair of the 107s. They are incredible speakers. Most beautiful blooming mids ever. VERY special speakers.

Did your speakers come with the head covers? Wasn't there someone looking for the head covers too?

Did your speakers come with the head covers? Wasn't there someone looking for the head covers too?

Yeah Bart, they have the "Top Hats". They are in great shape but need the front cross brace re-glued on both of them. That too is a common problem. A careful application of some wood glue is all that is needed. The grill covers themselves are in excellent condition. No snags or rips. :thmbsp:

sweet, how do they sound stacked????! :D

You're funny Budget! But I dunno... side-by-sides! :scratch2:

Talk about a load on an amp! :eek:

Never heard of it with 107s, but it's been done with B&W 801s... something similar could work for the KEFs!

...BTW, I have an extra KUBE for a ser.1 107. It looks OK, but is missing the PS, and one button (tape mon, I think), I don't even know if it works, but if someone needs it, PM me.

Last edited:
Never heard of it with 107s, but it's been done with B&W 801s...

...BTW, I have an extra KUBE for a ser.1 107. It looks OK, but is missing the PS, and one button (tape mon, I think), I don't even know if it works, but if someone needs it, PM me.

Is that "shopped"!!! :scratch2: OK, maybe they hung it from the wall... but WHY???

Thanks Frommer for the KUBE!!! Thundermud... run man run!!! :yes:

i dunno man. Looks like you have the makings of a killer HT there. Silly comments aside i would love to be able to hear a pair of all the speakers you guys have.

Is that "shopped"!!! :scratch2: OK, maybe they hung it from the wall... but WHY???

No, it's not photoshop, they used a heavy metal plate to tie them together. I haven't heard them myself, but word is it really did work well, and I think a few folks have copied the idea. As to why, I can only say some folks are firmly in the "more is better" camp! If you're going to stack time aligned speakers, it does seem the logical way to do it... sort of a quasi D'appolito speaker array.
I suspect the bass quality would be improved on the B&Ws by having the additional woofers well off the floor as well... I've always found the 801s to have a heavy bass, particularly if they aren't on a stand.

...Of course, with 107s, you'd have to glue their heads on, or they'd fall out!! :D

Never heard of it with 107s, but it's been done with B&W 801s... something similar could work for the KEFs!
BW_801_stacked_zps7ff7886e.jpg

And people call me crazy. That looks like it would sound fantastic! Twice the power handling, better, improved sensitivity etc. If it were shopped they would be matching finishes. Awesome! I'm guessing only one tweeter. And no wife. Hmm.

Back
Top Bottom