The Killer SMAC Party/Picnic System

jmathers

I thought it might be a good idea to brainstorm some component combinations for the party on the 23rd.

Let folks know what you're thinking of bringing to the party and let's put together a cool system. I know there's a heck of a lot of DIY guys out there that could bring some great gear - but a 1 1/2-watt amp ain't gonna work with those Dahlquist DQ10s. Same as a LOMC and that Fisher receiver.

Highly efficient speakers may be the first step........

So what are you thinking of bringing?

Jeff

I think I will have the hum/buzz problem fixed on my Octal Cornet phonepre by then. I can bring that.

I'll supply the TT, can bring a Denon with an MM cartridge so pretty much any phono stage wil do.

Can also bring an amp, various different configs, whatever works best!

Dave (dnewma04 - it took me awhile to look this moniker up!) can also bring a table - it's a JVC QL-Y66F. Any preference?

Dave will also be bringing the LOCTAL Cornet, I believe. Be nice to have a couple. Anyone have a stepup transformer for Moving Coil cartridges?

Jeff

No table to bring but I can drag the tercel if ya all want.

I really like the Tercel. It would be interesting to compare it to the two Cornets.

Now what about speakers????? Anyone???

Jeff

Only speakers I could bring are System Audio's.

Damn, it looks like I have to work, but I may be able to stop by early.

I could bring several sets of speakers. At hand I have Infinity RS425s, Mirage 360s, and Advent Legacys, plus Dynaco A25s.

Let me know if any of those are of interest...

I'd be willing to haul over a pair of DIY speakers if need be. Currently I have a slim floorstander using 4.5" mid-woofers in an M-T-M layout.

Crossovers are mounted externally on the back panel since I am still experimenting, but they are sounding pretty good in their current iteration.

As for amplifier pairings, efficiency should be somewhere in the high 80s and impedence above 4 ohms.

-Dan

Keep in mind that if we're going to swap a bunch of DIY amps in:thmbsp: that we'll need speakers that are pretty efficient to get the best of them.

I agree that schlepping Cornwalls over is too much to ask, but they'd be oh so nice for all those different amps:yes:

I'm not averse to a multitude of speakers at my place - and, of course, I appreciate ALL the offers. You guys need to be the decision makers here. So chime in for your favorites.

One other thing to keep in mind: the plan is to set the system up in the backyard (preferably covered but I have no line on a cover yet...anybody???). So we'd need something loud as well as backyard friendly.

Keep the ideas coming.

Jeff

If Ed wants to schlep the Cornholios, that would be pretty killer I agree!

But also yes they are not light weights by any means!

But, But, But, my new amp would like them quite well I would think! :smoke::music::D:banana:

OK, I'll bring the Cornholios. They're really easer to move than you'd imagine. I also have them on stands with castors, so we can position them easily. Also, I have a motive in that I want to hear all the new amps on my reference! (And outdoors, to boot! BYOPA, lmao!)

My garage speakers are available if someone wants to come and get them for a couple days, I don't have a van anymore and I've been tied up every week-end this summer, maybe that week-end will free up?? These have Altec 3156 woofers, Eminence 1600hz crossovers, Altec 811B horns, and Selenium D210Ti horn drivers, efficiency is most likely around 100db with a watt, a 20 watt tube amp will knock your socks off, Dave.

Altec_1202_01.jpg

DGWOJO:

Gorgeous speakers:thmbsp: And those are garage speakers? Jeez.

Jeff

Yes, for the garage, I can't understand why the neighbors think there's a concert going on at my house every time I work on my cars?? :scratch2: :D

OK so far here is what we've got to choose from:

Speakers
Klipsch Cornwalls (Cornholios!).............Squid
DIY Speaks......................................dlwask
System Audios..................................Grumpy
Infinity RS425...................................Andyman
Mirage 360.......................................Andyman
Advent Legacy.................................Andyman
Dynaco A25.....................................Andyman
Omega Super 3Rs..............................djnagle
I'm leaving off dgwojos killer Altecs just cause I figure noone wants to haul the beasts from wojo's to my place. Plus if he's not going to make it, I don't want to be held responsible when the dancing girls start doing the splits on the tops of the cabinets:D

Phono Stuff
Denon TT............................Kegger
JVC TT...............................dnewma04
Octal Cornet........................djnagle
Loctal Cornet.......................dnewma04
Tercel.................................Grumpy

We should probably pare the speaker list down. I would definitely like Squid to bring the Cornholios.:yes:

What other speakers? As a speaker DIY guy I'm kinda interested in dlwask's DIY MTM towers. But you guys pick what you want. As I said no harm in bringing 'em all but I figure some folks would just plain rather not bring that much equipment, i.e., Andyman.

We probably won't want to swap Turntables around. Which table do you want?

Phono stages from my perspective are "the more the merrier" so we can leave those.

We need some other stuff though:

Amplifier? I imagine Keg will bring the new amp and the 6LU8 amp at least. Anyone else bringing an amp? Or an integrated amp?

Preamplifier? We'll need one of these I expect.

Cartridge?

Cd Player? I suppose one of these is a necessary evil. I do have a Marantz 67SE I can bring out if necessary. Be nice to have something tubed.....:scratch2:

Speaker cables and interconnects? I have only cheap Rat Shack stuff left since the good stuff is already in the main system.

For heaven's sake don't forget to bring tunes.....

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom