The Killer SMAC Party/Picnic System

I can bring a DIY RH84 amp, and a DIY passive preamp with slagle autoformers (the "cigar box"). The loctal cornet should also be there for phono preamps. I'd offer to bring the Denon TT, but space in the car will be tight with the Cornholios!

The speakers are just an offer based on what's at hand right now and I had no plans on bringing 4 sets. Let me know if any are interesting and that's what I can bring.

Don't worry, I won't cry if none are chosen...:D

I'll schlep the Dared Pre over it's pretty small. Can bring speaker cables, interconnects, power cords.

If Newman is bringing his TT then no I do not need to. I can bring a Pioneer 563A Cd-player as well.

And yes I'll have the 6LU8 amp, and my new Paralell SE UL 6LR8 amp with me. And a power strip or 2.

If I get lucky with time, I'll be bringing an Accurian amp modded with a tube front end and possibly a 200w bel canto S300 clone if my mouser order comes in

If you need a SS workhorse amp I just finished fixing an Adcom GFA-555 (200+ WPC) that should drive just about anything. Pretty easy to haul around and not a priceless objet d'art that needs to be coddled.

Yesterday I packed and shipped out the Acoustat electrostatics that were featured at last month's meet. It was a struggle, but I'll recover. Turns out that packed up they weigh exactly as much as I do.

I have a 'passive' pre that I can bring. It's shunt/variable with about a 20K Z-in. Two inputs and 2 outputs. It's about 4" X 4" X 6" & very handy for ad hoc setups. Shallco rotary switch and Dale resistors. Made by Dan Blatter locally. It has the advantages of being small, needing no power and being simple.

I love passive preamps! Everyone should bring one! Ashok, are you out there? :)

I'll bring this passive & some cables just in case they're needed. Might as well throw the Adcom in teh car in case everyone's tube amps give up the ghost.

Yeah, I am here, although I have to give the August meet a miss. But if you want to take my passive pre along, let me know.

It is no longer a passive device though - I added an opamp buffer to it, right after the selector switch, which drops the output impedance of every source connected to the pre to around 50 ohms.

Then, downstream of the opamp buffer is the 1:1 transformer, and then the 10K pot.

Maybe I should switch to a conventional TVC like you Ed.

I have a passive pre to! HUMM!!

I've never had a hum issue with this one. It's pretty well shielded. It worked great with teh McCormack DNA1 power amp which has high gain and a high input impedance. I haven't really used this in years because I switch speakers around so much I'm always reaching for a tone control.

Those passive pre's are interesting, I've really only got to check out Ed's, it be interesting to me to see/hear differant versions.

Seeing as Squid's bringing the Cornhulios, I'll be leaving all my speakers at home.

Well talking with Jeff, we'd like to try an pair down some a bit. :)
OK so far here is what we think would be a nice fit to the system?

Speakers
Klipsch Cornwalls (Cornholios!).............Squid
DIY Speaks......................................DLwask
Omega Super 3Rs..............................Djnagle
Maybe 1 other larger sized pair of say vintage type speakers? Like EPI, AR, POLK/something?

Phono Stuff
Denon TT............................Kegger
JVC TT...............................Dnewma04
Octal Cornet........................Djnagle
Loctal Cornet.......................Dnewma04
Tercel.................................Grumpy
Probably wouldn't be bad for both Newman and I to bring a table in case a (Don't say it) Misshap.

Amplifiers
6LU8 SE UL, Stereo ..........................Kegger
6LR8 Paralell SE, UL Stereo.................Kegger
RH84 stereo EL84.............................Squidward
Accurian/modded, tube front end........Dnewma04
Adcom GFA-555 (200+ WPC)..............Ross
Maybe a mod STereo 70 ...................Kegger.

Preamplifiers
Dared 2 channel tube pre..............Kegger
Passive Pre.................................Squid
Passive Pre.................................Ross

Cd Players
Marantz SA 8001 SACD......................DMAX
Jolida JD 100 tubed cd.......................DMAX
Just so DMAX isn't the only Cd-player, Pioneer 563A, John will bring my spare. (Keg)

Speaker cables and interconnects/power devices
..................................................Kegger
..................................................Ross
...................Maybe other interconnects/speaker cable people? TOM?

Thoughts?
Everyone can/will bring these things?
Anything/Anyone else we are missing?
Oh yah definatly be bringing tunes, both Vinyl and Digital.:thmbsp:

If anyone wants to bring something to throw in the system NOTHING will be turned away though!

P.S. Not exactly Audio related, but could be needed! Since Jeff is putting on the spread I suggest people bring beer.:thmbsp:

Well you know I agree with that, but maybe some wouldn't?

But yah if everyone brings at least a 12pack, then I should be all set!:thmbsp::banana::smoke::D
(Oh did I say I, I meant we not I, I mean it's for others to not just I, Well that's what I meant)

the gear sounds good to me. I will also bring some swap meet stuff and wine. See you then.

Back
Top Bottom