The Knife Thread.....

Not a western knife, but a tanto by Howard Clark (Morgan Valley Forge).

Forge folded. Mounted to match a 1086 katana by Howard Clark I have as daisho.

HC-Tanto-1.jpg

HC-Tanto-2.jpg

HC-Tanto-3.jpg
Wow....functional work of art ! VERY nice !

So, I had Howard Clark forge me a katana to fit my preferences and style of iaido I practiced.

He worked the katana in 1086 bar stock steel which is amazing for strength and artistic potential.

In all the years I used the katana for tameshigiri(actual cutting) - I never bent it which is a testament to Howard's forging and heat treatment skills. 1086 is my favorite steel.

I decided to 'retire' the katana and have it polished in a 'show' polish to bring out as much activity/beauty as possible. John DeMesa did the final polish - who is very familiar with Howard's work. He did a fantastic job.

The heat treat Howard put on the blade is psychedelic. Categorically called "hitatsura" or full heat treat from edge to back for hardness.

Some pictures

Both katana and tanto as 'daisho'
daisho-1.JPG

The katana
katana-1.jpg

The polished 'hamon' of the katana
kat-hamon-after-4.jpg

The full bare blade after the full polish
kat-after.jpg

Been looking for awhile and found this one on craigslist. It an authorized US made replica of the bar scene knife in T2 and way below ebay $$$. It's also an early one with a nicer sheath than the later ones have. Not a movie knife buyer per se but this and a couple others will eventually end up in the collection -

9FeLDRq.jpg

I believe the word is "Ouch!" -

t2_knife_8.jpg

Another great find, a Sykes-Fairbairn 3rd Pattern knife. Listed as Chinese I could see in the post that Sheffield England was faintly visible on the sheath. It's a John Nowill & Sons, MOD acceptance mark, blued blade and in excellent condition. I'd guess 80s production. The only thing keeping from being a 100% accurate WW2 replica is the sheath which is weird -

GjODUTy.jpg

YDhmGUz.jpg

HPqNAqZ.jpg

61ikwOx.jpg

These are 2015 buys. Did not realize I'd taken pics but found them on my imgur account.

Gerber River Runner & Kershaw Trooper. The Kershaw had been in the sheath since the late 80s, cleaned up perfect. It is nearly identical to the 70s Gerber MK1 fighter. I flipped the River Runner soon after I got it. It sells for a surprising amount, far more than it should IMO but not complaining -

ZbLhABy.jpg

9pyVVcQ.jpg

ZA009pk.jpg

XJrphQd.jpg

These are 2015 buys. Did not realize I'd taken pics but found them on my imgur account.

Gerber River Runner & Kershaw Trooper. The Kershaw had been in the sheath since the late 80s, cleaned up perfect. It is nearly identical to the 70s Gerber MK1 fighter. I flipped the River Runner soon after I got it. It sells for a surprising amount, far more than it should IMO but not complaining -

ZbLhABy.jpg

9pyVVcQ.jpg

ZA009pk.jpg

XJrphQd.jpg
Nice blades !
I think that our interest in knives reflects our "Primitive Inner Being"....knives were one of mankind`s earliest tools, and we`re STILL lusting for them.... :)

Nice blades !
I think that our interest in knives reflects our "Primitive Inner Being"....knives were one of mankind`s earliest tools, and we`re STILL lusting for them.... :)

I've been collecting, trading, and buying since I was a little kid. I don't know how many I have but can barely lift the cases they are in. The goal with any collection is to always upgrade and focus more closely on your main areas of interests. So, every few years I go in and thin the herd. That goes into the trade pile and I try to turn that into something I want more. This was another phase and the herd will be thinned. Since this pic was taken it's doubled -

OXalL.jpg

New knife of a different sort, but not much going on in Cooking so...

Global SAI. Three-layer blade. Wicked, nasty sharp.

20170201_145303.jpg

Ahhh didn't realize there was more than 1 knife thread. Some beauts here. Just got this USA made branded Remington. 4" closed
IMG_3837.JPG
I like knives and see myself acquiring more soon.

Ahhh didn't realize there was more than 1 knife thread. Some beauts here. Just got this USA made branded Remington. 4" closed
View attachment 861335
I like knives and see myself acquiring more soon.
Nice Remington !
Even though the two threads are pretty much interchangeable, the EDC thread seems geared more towards folders, where this one gravitates towards bigger tactical and camp-type fixed blades. As long as it has a sharp edge on it, it`s welcome ! :)

Puma Skinner, circa 1976
This knife sat in the display case of a small Mom & Pop-run Army/Navy store for a long time (like maybe 2 years or more). One day, I was in there, and asked the woman owner "So, what`s the deal on that Puma, it`s been here for a LONG time now ?" "Well," she replied, "Somebody misplaced the sheath a long time ago, and nobody wants to buy it without the sheath".
"Well," I said "Why don`t you make me an offer....cash deal ?"
"How`s thirty bucks sound ?" she asked
"Wrap it up, I`ll take it !" I said (This knife sold for around $100 at the time)
So, she gave me a crappy Chinese leather sheath that looked it cost 50 cents, and away I went.
Fast Forward 20 years.... In the late `90s, there was a wonderful website called Bladeauction....it was like the Wild West, anything and everything got sold there. One day I happened to see a listing for a NOS, still-in-the-factory plastic wrapping, perfect leather sheath for a Puma Skinner. I won the auction, and finally had a matching sheath for my knife !

upload_2017-2-1_17-52-26.png

Back
Top Bottom