The Kris Bryant Era begins today.

cubdog

banging through drywall
23 year old Kris Bryant will start at third base for the Chicago Cubs this afternoon. For anyone outside of the Chicagoland area you have no idea the buzz surrounding this kid. If he turns out to be half as good as expected he will be very very good.

He's projected, by many, to be the National League rookie of the year unless his teammate Jorge Soler steals that honor for him. Oh yeah, I almost forgot Addison Russell. He might be in the mix too if the Cubs bring him up sooner than later.

I can't believe I'm actually excited and paying any attention to baseball. It's been years since I gave a damn about MLB. Should be a fun and interesting year.

cubdog

0-4 with 3 Ks for KB. One disgruntled fan yelled "you suck" after the third strikeout. :D The good new is that Bryant looked very good at third base including a tough back hand grab and throw of a shot down the line. Everyone knows Bryant will hit, he was probably pretty nervous today, but if he fields this well on a daily basis that will be huge bonus. I remain optimistic. :yes:

cubdog

I'm watching the game on MLB Network. They plugged it in at the 6th inning after the Tigers/White Sox game concluded.

Shocked SD jumped into the lead. It's coming down to the wire for the Cubbies.

Day two is a bit better so far. Bryant had two consecutive walks then an RBI single in the 5th inning driving in a run to tie the game. He took second on the throw to third taking away the double play possibility. So despite the Ks Bryant has been on base 3 out of 7 bats. :thmbsp:
And one more walk which may end day two as the Cubs lead 6-2 in the seventh.

cubdog

Last edited:
I want to give Sam an update this morning. :yes:

After his 0-4 opening day Bryant has gone 6-10 with 2 doubles, 4 walks and 4 RBI. I'm guessing he's going to hit a couple of bombs any day now. He's overdue.

And one more reason for Cub fans to be happy. Addison Russell will make his debut at second base tonight. He's only 21 and almost as highly touted as Bryant. Bryant to Castro to Russell to Rizzo. It has a nice sound and their average age is just over 23.

cubdog

Glad to hear.

One summer I was laid off and wound up watching a whole lot of Cubs games on tv.

Bryant continues to impress. Last night he beat out a routine ground ball for a single, walked, tripled, and hit a monster shot for his 3rd home run in the last four games. He also handled a hot shot to third that looked like it could handcuff him. He's looking better at third than I thought he would. At 6ft 5in he's pretty agile. It's going to be fun to watch him progress this season.

cubdog

Bryant blasted HR number 25 today matching the Cubs rookie record set by HOFer Billy Williams. He drove in RBIs number 94 and 95 which is also a rookie record for the Cubs. He is currently batting a respectable .275. I guess he's more than lived up to the hype during spring training

cubdog

They should fit Addison Russel for a gold glove. The plays he's made since moving to his natural SS and especially the one to end the game today!:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom