The last stop...

Rich Andrews

I have decided that I am going to save my money and buy the ultimate pair of speakers. I think I will get a pair of XR290's in walnut. Drive them with a pair of MC2500 amps and call it a day. Then again, I wouldn't exactly turn up my nose at rosewood either. I don't think I am crazy, but one never knows for certain either. :)>)

Thinking big in Texas! I would love to hear those. They are some big ol' bad boys. Flat out beautiful too.If or when I get a listening room big enough I'd like to try out an array system.
So Rich, you think you'll find someone actually wanting to sell their's? ;)

Carl

I saw someone post a WTB for a pair of XR290's a few months ago on A'gon and promptly got two offers. I suspect that if I had the hard cash right now, I could "shake the trees" and find a pair fairly quick. Some people's tastes are different enough that 290s don't appeal to them. or they find something that suites them better. It *is a rather large speaker system, and many decors simply won't support the styling of them. All in all, there are many reasons why somone would sell off a pair, but those very reasons may be the very reason that I want them. :)>)

The next question is what do I do with my XRT22s when I get the 290s? I could put them in the TV room, but I am not sure what I would have to do to get them to fit in properly. I suppose #1 son would want them, but then again maybe not. He doesn't seem too interested. He is more interested in movies than music. Maybe #2 son would appreciate them, but neither #2 son or #3 son gets them until *after* they move into their own house. There is always my daughter, but I am afraid she doesn't appreciate high fidelity audio. In addition, one cannot appreciate them in an apartment and the apt. moves would be detrimental to their near pristine condition. I really appreciate the fact that my wife is allergic to cats. Cats can cause all manner of property destruction.

Maybe I will keep them and build a proper multichannel system. I am not yet sold on multichannel and have no real desire to get it. Maybe as SACD/DVD-A matures and the recordings get better and more prolific, then I will make a move. I remember all too well the "quad" stuff of the 70's and how that format died due to unscupulous mixing. I see some of the same mistakes being made today.

I will wait and see what multichannel is like when the time comes. I think that a 4.0 system would be sufficient. Who needs a sub when one has all those woofers going for you? I could add a center speaker for a true 5.0 but why bother when McIntosh's processors will emulate the center channel for those with only a pair in the front. Does that make sense or am I thinking wrong?

r

Back
Top Bottom