The Lepy LP-2020A Class "T" (D) Audio Amp, very pleased!

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
IMG_0332.JPG

I finally received the Lepy LP-2020A Class "T" ("D") audio amp. I am extremely pleased with it. Have it hooked in 2 of the radios in my hamradio station. The ICOM IC-756pro is on the left channel, and the Kenwood TS-440SAT is on the right. Big improvement in the sound especially on the Kenwood. The amp is speaking through a pair of Optimus Pro-X5 speakers. I can report that I have not detected any interference from this amp on the 2 transceivers, I pulled out my Tecsun PL-880 portable and laid it telescopic antenna across the amp's case and tuned this radio's tuning range AM broadcasting to 30 MHz plus FM broadcast band and I could not find any switching noise. I have no tech spec's on this amp other than it is supposed to have 20 watts per-channel, and 12VDC@2 amp's. The way I am operating this amp is the tone controls are switched off and I have the amp turned about 3/4 volume and then control the total volume from each radio.

Last edited:
The 'Lepy' is a knock off of the Lepai down to about every detail and the tripath chip is a clone as well. The RMS value of it is a bit less, but they do sound good. FWIW, I lost out on 400 new ORIGINAL tripath chips a few weeks back at auction cuz I had to get my kid to scouts...that would have ruled.

There is a Lepai knockoff holy crap!
I was reading the story of Tripath and it's trials and tribulations. I purchased this one from eBay because I was told the ones they had were not counterfeit, whatever means these days. 20 watts is perfect to drive the Optimus Pro-X5's I have.

This is the listing I purchased from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lepai-Lepy-...027203?hash=item2ca385f8c3:g:TcIAAOSw5cNYT58Z

Now that I know what to look for they have the same amp for the same price on Amazon. So if I decide to get another one I will purchase it there.

Last edited:
parts express still has a couple according to their flyer.

consider upping the PS to 5A peak and upgrading the power caps inside to handle bass a little better

For my use, with a communications transceiver, the sound it presently has is more then adequate. As for power I can integrate it into my stations 12VDC power bus which is powered by a 70 amp linear power supply.

Is is supposed to be better than the Lepai its a copy of? I have one of them and its a fun little 20w/ch amp, with some limitations.

For me these little amp's are ideal for the vintage military general coverage receivers I have. Most have 600 ohm impedance outputs measured in milliwatts. The 2 transceivers I have them on now are not HiFi, you would be driven out of your mind if they where considering what they monitor. They also don't have much in the way of audio output. The installed speakers are not much better then a pocket transistor radio.

Is is supposed to be better than the Lepai its a copy of? I have one of them and its a fun little 20w/ch amp, with some limitations.
I have also seen them named Hepy and Nepy (I shit you not)

who knows, clearly the machining of the case is occurring at one or more chinese factory with access to the plans, unknown *how* they look inside but people complain of the counterfeit tripath chips.

Parts express has the newer, more meatier version now, appx $30. But if you are gonna use it for music/audio, up the power supply - that is where it falls flat when driving it hard.

The trepidation I had was being a Class "D" amp if they are not constructed properly they can be real RFI monsters, and those with the problem are reported to be counterfeit. The one I have is perfectly quiet I am pleased to say.

Just purchased the Lepai LP-2020TI Amp from Parts Express. The TI stands for Texas Instrument. I see this one does 3 amp's, where as the one I have does 2 amps. looking at the vintage tube type equipment I have I could make use of an addition 2 units. Thanks QuadDriver for the heads up.

Last edited:
Looking at the spec's for the Parts Express Lapai amp' it will run on voltages from 5 VDC to 24 VDC.

Back
Top Bottom