The longest line level cable on AK?

whoaru99

Epic Member
I'd opined in a previous thread about making a longish balanced cable out of Ethernet Cat5. Was thinking 100ft, give or take, to connect a mixer to a crossover/speaker management box.

But, rather than cut off 100ft first, someone suggested trying with the whole length just for proof of concept. Well, here it is. I estimate it at 700ft, give or take. LOL. Used two twisted pairs per channel.

Too hot in the garage to mess with it now, but maybe later tonight or tomorrow morning I'll run some music through it.

20170715_123527.jpg 20170715_142325.jpg

Test successful.

Detected no additional noise vs. the 6ft cables normally used to connect the mixer to the processor. At times I thought maybe the highs were a hair softer, other times not. Playing the same tracks a few times I wouldn't bet my next paycheck on that.

In any event, 100ft would be no problem. But, based on this, I probably won't even cut it down to length for now, unless I really need a hunk of Cat5 for something else.

Lets see, a nano second is 11". As in it takes an electron a nano second to travel eleven inches down that wire. So roughly just under 700 nano seconds to travel that roll of wire. not much delay. :D

Congrats, smart move too. I need to make some 40 foot rca cables down the road:mad:. Well my system does get loud...:dunno:

Not surprised it worked pretty well. Cat's twist works well for analog audio (actually AES too).

I've made up and used mic cable to 500ft. And also added on a few hundred more to get where it needed to go another time.

In a pinch one time I made out of typical two pair audio cable a similar length cable where one pair is made up as telco tip & ring and the other for balanced audio. Don't recall what I used that one for now but I wouldn't have wanted the phone ring to occur while feeding audio on the other pair...but whatever it was, I've used it a couple different times long ago and have kept it around for out of the blue whatever.

EV3

Back
Top Bottom