The Los Angeles Rams

I would guess that most San Diego residents (like me) got tired of hearing proposals that amounted to "what position would you like to be raped in" with Spanos' petulant demands.

The City 'bent over' in a last quarter attempt to keep Spanos in SD, but he had already laid plans to move and refused to meet the eyes of City reps and sent his mouthpiece to decry the City's plan as untenable - which the NFL commissioner sided with.

And now Spanos is going to have to decide whether to come back to the table (or send his mouthpiece) to try again and ask what position we want to be raped in or find fresh meat in LA as a tenant.

F him.

Give me a date when the vans are loaded up - and I'll be out to happily waive him away to LA.

Believe me, we're sick of the NFL, too. The good news is that St. Louis is on the short list for an MLS team, and apparently Dave Peacock wasn't just wasting his time working on a new stadium for the NFL in St. Louis - in the process, he was apparently also working on lining up an ownership group for an MLS expansion team, with or without the NFL in town. Now they just need a 20,000+ seat stadium with real grass.

Ages ago the Rams were a "powerhouse" with formidable defense, awesome offense starring some of the best ever running backs, wide receivers, tight ends and linebackers.
The City of Los Angeles was once a pretty awesome place but now a place littered(pun intended) with soccer fields.
We lost a city and football team years back in time.

Very interesting as that surely has changed. Every fall when the Lions swoon, fans talk about boycotting the games, but apparently 21st century TV revenues have grown so that even if the Lions played to totally empty stands, they still would be lucrative and profitable.

One of the sidebars to tonights Powerball drawing is that the sole winner STILL would not have enough money to buy an NFL franchise...
It does seem TV revenues trump:) fan base now-a-days.
As far as fans go and getting to the games, the Inglewood site was always difficult to access with only one or two side streets(Slauson or Manchester).
With the quadrupling of the population since the Forum and Hollywood Park operated, I predict Quagmire.

LA Times mentions the small crowd at the rally today: http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-la-rams-20160116-story.html

And the LA Times rips the NFL's business practices: http://www.latimes.com/business/hil...-l-a-inside-the-long-con-20160115-column.html

What a welcome!
No surprise there.
It'd be a huge crowd had it been homesick fans from Chicago, New York or just about any place east of the Mississippi welcoming their team.
I doubt many in that crowd even knew of the Rams before the hooplah.

As far as fans go and getting to the games, the Inglewood site was always difficult to access with only one or two side streets(Slauson or Manchester).
With the quadrupling of the population since the Forum and Hollywood Park operated, I predict Quagmire.

And then there is the 405 fwy which is a parking lot from Torrance all the way to Mulholland. I'm thinking it will be an hour and half drive each way from the SFV.

As far as fans go and getting to the games, the Inglewood site was always difficult to access with only one or two side streets(Slauson or Manchester). With the quadrupling of the population since the Forum and Hollywood Park operated, I predict Quagmire.

And then there is the 405 fwy which is a parking lot from Torrance all the way to Mulholland. I'm thinking it will be an hour and half drive each way from the SFV.

It's a bloody mess daily @ all of the above freeways and service roads. Good thing the Rams Fans won't likely add much more to the existing traffic. :smoke:

It's a bloody mess daily @ all of the above freeways and service roads. Good thing the Rams Fans won't likely add much more to the existing traffic. :smoke:
I think the owner expects high TV revenues and big dividends from future million per unit apartment developments.
Deluxe and delightful, the skys the limit here in Paradise

I was born and raised in Baltimore. When Robert Irsay took the Colts out in the middle of a snowy night, It was like having our hearts ripped out. He was a pig. He even lied about his WW2 service in his bio. That's as low as it gets.

I feel sorry for the St Louis supports it's teams well. It's a great city with good people. Unfortunately, the NFL is a business and all the owners will wan to protect their right to do what they want with their property (the teams).

The only way to fix this is what Green Bay did. The citizens own the team. They own the stock shares.

The only way to fix this is what Green Bay did. The citizens own the team. They own the stock shares.

And the NFL banned that ownership structure 30 years ago. No more than 32 owners per team, at least one has to have a 30% or higher stake. Green Bay's was specifically set up to limit each owner to no more than 4% of the outstanding shares.

... don't the STL governments still owe 300 million or so on the existing stadium as well? Take a LOT of tractor pulls to pay that off ...
That and Monster Jam, Supercross, various Auto shows, RV shows, Trade shows, the list goes on. The stadium and this event will likely be a turning point for a return to the demise of downtown STL, AGAIN, like a repeat of the 80's. Shoot, you can't drive anywhere around downtown without seeing the tagging from local gangs, thugs, and hoodlums. Shootings occur every day, you cannot even go to a Cardinals game without the fear of being stabbed. Like Nelly, our local rapper, ( another great example, with his troubles in Tennessee), says:
You can find me
In Saint Lou-eh
Where the gunplay
Rain all day....

What goes around, comes around I guess.

Detroit is just the opposite right now. Sports development has managed to "cure" the recent blight, courtesy of the wrecking ball. What with Comerica, Ford Field, and the new "Detroit Events Center" (Red Wings*), as well as all the supporting development, it's quite the turnaround.

*Hopes are still high for the Pistons moving in there as well, at least rotating venues with The Palace for home games. There are also high hopes that they trash the current name choice - Detroit Events Center pretty much sucks, certainly not having the charisma of "The Joe" or "The Palace". Maybe call it "Joe's Palace" ... <G>

If you're looking for a ray of hope ... Cleveland took a major hit economically when the Browns moved to Baltimore. The city raised enough of a ruckus that the NFL eventually caved and brought them back. Give em hell, St Louis!

Shoot, you can't drive anywhere around downtown without seeing the tagging from local gangs, thugs, and hoodlums. Shootings occur every day, you cannot even go to a Cardinals game without the fear of being stabbed. Like Nelly, our local rapper, ( another great example, with his troubles in Tennessee), says:
You can find me
In Saint Lou-eh
Where the gunplay
Rain all day....

Oh please, there is a reason that the Cardinals sell over 90% of their available seats, and if you are afraid you will be stabbed, feel free to move to Ferguson, or St. Charles, where you will be 'safe" from all the gangs, thugs, and hoodlums. I work in the hood every week, a few blocks from Holy Trinity Church, Fairground Park, and the north end of Grand. If you keep your eyes and ears open, and look like you know what is going on, not much of anyone is going to bother you. If you come up there to get your drugs, you are going to get ganked.

Nelly bought my 13 year old son a drink two nights ago at the Blues game, and was gracious to my wife, so he isn't all bad. Will have to read about his TN troubles.

Back
Top Bottom