The lost Beatles album? Phil Keaggy's Sunday's Child

Ethan25

As a kid, I had a dad who was obsessed with music. He was in a Chicago-area band that opened for Stix as well as Mason Proffit. He knew music well, and passed that on to me along with a lot of love. He still listens to any music I pass on to him.

Anyhow, growing up in the 60s and early 70s, he was very familiar with the Beatles music and influence. Every family gathering with my Aunts and Uncles would find him and those who could sing harmonizing some Beatles tune while someone would grab a guitar.

It was 1988, and I was 8 years old. It was a very impressionable time of my life as things were really good. We lived on the Oregon Coast, literally blocks from the Pacific. My parents had recently begun attending church as they had not for some time since childhood. My dad still listened to all the fun music he had from the 60s and 70s, but was finding some new 80s material that he liked. One day when going to the local Christian Bookstore, he saw the name Phil Keaggy and decided to pick up his new album Phil Keaggy and Sunday's Child. He remembered Keaggy's name from Glass Harp and their impact in the midwest where he grew up, and knew that it must be decent.

Now, I was not raised on the Beatles. My dad did not listen to them around me and my brother. However, being young and hearing my dad go on and on about how this album by Keaggy was the lost Beatles album had quite the impression on me. I didn't understand it, but I thought it was neat how he and my uncle both agreed on this (when they didn't seem to agree on anything else). So, by age 9 this was by far my favorite music to listen to, and I knew every note, every drumbeat.

This was the first song on the album:

Then I grew up. At age 25 I decided I really needed to know the Beatles' catalogue. SO, I began my study. 11 years later now at age 36, I can confidently say that this album is not necessarily identical to the Beatles sound, but the influence is incredible, and I'd argue that I could see the Beatles making an album similar to this. Of course, there's quite the Christian-influence in the lyrics; but regardless, the sound that Phil Keaggy and the rest of the crew were able to get in this album is just incredible. EVERY person I have purchased a copy of this album for has come back to me with rave reviews. Phil does a great job with the Beatles sound partially because of his similar voice to Paul's. Some of the songs have a great 80s feel...sounds similar to Genesis or Phil Collins in general, yet still have that sound that makes you think that the Beatles could have done it.

I encourage you to take a listen. Here's a youtube link to 8 of the songs from the album as someone has put together a playlist with 8 of the songs. I believe the songs are also on Spotify if you want to stream there.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5_3Gs17Tg-RUH9ZcOSVuqqDanyDnrlBX

Love to hear some discussion for those who have heard the album before or who listen to it because of this post.

Interesting recollection. It's awesome that your dad passed on not only a
love of music but also the LOVE that makes you the person you are today.
I see a lot of that missing from child rearing in my area. What was the name
of the band your dad played with in Chicago? I am a life long Chicagoan
and wonder if I ever got to see him perform.

THeir band name was Catch

You remember the name of the band?

No it doesn't ring a bell but there is a whole lot I don't recall from that period of my life. I will talk with some buddies over the weekend and see if they have any recollection.

Back
Top Bottom