The many 'versions' of the Shure M95-Confusing stuff.

catman

Addicted Member
G'day all, I've never been totally clear about the Shure M95 Cartridge series and its various versions, and after looking at the Shure database I'm even more confused!

Here are the specifications for two of the listed versions and there are other subtle variations too. The styli are different and the later series has the dynamic stabiliser whereas the earlier versions don't.

Is the coil generator assembly the same in all versions? The coil assemblies specifications are similar yet slightly different, and even the loading recommendations between the early and later versions are very different.
http://www.shure.com/uploads/user_guide/upload/1058/us_pro_m95ej_ug.pdf

http://www.shure.com/uploads/user_guide/upload/1060/us_pro_m95he_ug.pdf
Can anybody make any sense of all this because it sure is confusing to me! :yes: Regards, Felix aka catman.

Last edited:
G'day all, I've never been totally clear about the Shure M95 Cartridge series and its various versions, and after looking at the Shure database I'm even more confused!

Here are the specifications for two of the listed versions and there are other subtle variations too. The styli are different and the later series has the dynamic stabiliser whereas the earlier versions don't.

Is the coil generator assembly the same in all versions? The coil assemblies specifications are similar yet slightly different, and even the loading recommendations between the early and later versions are very different.
http://www.shure.com/uploads/user_guide/upload/1058/us_pro_m95ej_ug.pdf

http://www.shure.com/uploads/user_guide/upload/1060/us_pro_m95he_ug.pdf
Can anybody make any sense of all this because it sure is confusing to me! :yes: Regards, Felix aka catman.

You forgot one Felix. The Me95ED. Same body specs as the others 1550/650mH. Different stylus holder.

G'day mate, I didn't really want to mention the 'Me' series. That just adds to the confusion. :D Regards, Felix aka catman.

The coil assemblies specifications are similar yet slightly different, and even the loading recommendations between the early and later versions are very different.
Can anybody make any sense of all this because it sure is confusing to me!

In the 1970's, Shure changed the loading requirements due to the reduced capacitance of the tone arm and cable capacitance of most turntables (the reduced capacitance apparently being needed by the four channel playback equipment of the day). Shure also retained the same or similar model numbers over a span of years despite changes in technology and, often, lack of interchangeability of styli. Consumers need not be confused; they just have to buy from among the styli designated as suitable for their particular body. Of course, it's even easier at this point since Shure simply no longer supports those older models. The M97xE provides superior performance to any of them and is widely available at modest cost.

The best source of information I've found is to go through the library's stacks of old hifi magazines and look at the Shure advertisements. You get a pretty clear picture of the changes over time and the different styli available for each incarnation of a model line.

You can see by the inductance and resistance specs why they need different loading - they were different. From what I understand, the M95ED was the second from the top of the line in the early 1970’s, and was probably (although I’m not certain) introduced just after the V15 Type III. It was probably an upgrade from the M95EJ, just as the M91ED was an upgrade from the original M91E, with the difference being a nude stylus (all diamond, so it weighs less than just a tip bonded to some other material between the tip and the cantilever). The M95ED stylus is also thinner (front to back) than the M95EJ stylus – 0.2 x 0.7 mils, versus 0.4 x 0.7. So it was probably M95EJ, followed by M95ED as an upgrade with a better nude stylus that was thinner. After the V15 Type IV was introduced in 1978, some of the features of that (the brush, and the hyper-elliptical tip – Shure’s version of the Shibata), were introduced to other existing cartridges.

I can remember ads saying how you could upgrade your M95 series using the N95HE stylus. In fact, I'm looking at one in a 1981 Stereo Buyer's Guide Turntables magazine as I write this. It shows a range of Shure cartridges, and the stylus you could use to upgrade them - V15 Type III (VN35HE), M95 (N95HE), M70 series (N72EJ or N72B), any M91, M92 or M93 (N91ED), any M71, M73, M75 (N75 Type 2 series styli), M44 (N55E) and M3D/M7D (N21D). They proudly proclaimed (probably rather untruthfully!), that a "genuine Shure upgrade stylus is unquestionably the biggest bargain in hi-fi"!

The M97HE was the first all-new cartridge to come out after the V15/IV, and was second in line behind it, just above the M95ED/M95HE. When the V15/IV was introduced, it was the first Shure cartridge to need loading at 200-300pF, rather than 400-500pF. They obviously modified the M95 series so it also needed the same capacitance loading, at some stage, probably soon after the V15/IV was introduced. So, in the late 70’s/early 80’s, the best was the V15/IV, followed by the M97HE, and the M95HE, which differed from the original M95EJ/ED by having a nude hyperelliptical (line contact) stylus and anti-static damping brush, both of which were features originally introduced on the V15/IV.

G'day mate, interesting stuff, although the only difference in the specs is the shift from 650 to 700 millihenries, yet the ohmic resistance remains the same at 1550 ohms. Strange to me. Perhaps other aspects of the magnetic circuit were different. :scratch2: Regards, Felix aka catman.

That's the first time I've heard that. Most seem to prefer the vintage Shures.

Well, just a personal opinion, plus the Shure customer help database in one of their answers said, "A nice upgrade from the V15IV without spending too much is the M97xE cartridge." One of the problems with vintage Shures is that the company stopped producing styli for almost all cartridges made prior to 1995 (the M44 is the exception, I think), meaning that any styli available today are either very old or are from third party suppliers. I've always had better luck with factory-fresh, original styli, so I prefer to purchase something that is currently made.

A box stock M97xE with factory loading is like a racing engine with a spark plug wire pulled off one of it's spark plugs: it makes most of the noise it is supposed to, but not all. Other vintage Shure cartridges with a .2 x .7 mil stylus - in my case M75s, M95s, an M91, and a Radio Shack RXP3 - can reveal what a box stock M97xE attenuates. However, acknowledging that there many different kinds of performance in many different disciplines, everybody gets to embrace what is most personally satisfying.

From what I understand the principal gripes surrounding the M97xE are:
1) QC issues particularly regarding the stylus/cantilever;
2) Break-in period (reported to be as long as 100 hours);
3) Rolled off-highs;
4) Requires loading adjustment to attain peak performance.

I've got the following: 97xE, 97HE, 95HE and 91ED. Right now, I'm leaning toward the 97HE as the best sounding (to my admittedly less than perfect ears). I'm experimenting with the evg .2 x .7 M95 replacement stylus in my M97xE and it does seem to 'sound better' than the M97xE with stock stylus.

Interesting stuff on this thread (providing you disregard my tangential rant).

I'd take an M91 with a Pfanstiehl over a stock M97xE. They just sound neutered to me. YMMV.

And I can't believe that Shure would call the M97xE an "upgrade" from a V15 IV. Have they actually compared the two carts?!?

The M97xE is still available. The V15-IV isn't. Referring to the M97xE as an upgrade gives them an opportunity to make a sale.

The M97xE is still available. The V15-IV isn't. Referring to the M97xE as an upgrade gives them an opportunity to make a sale.

Exactly. They're lying. How can it be better? The reviews I've seen of the M97HE and M97xE both indicate the HE is the better of the two - it has a flatter frequency response and a better stylus. However, it was second behind the V15/IV, so as a slightly downgraded version, the M97xE is NEVER going to be an upgrade from the V15/IV. Still, some people will say anything if it means money in the pocket...

Well, a new M97xE would be an upgrade (of sorts) from a V15-IV with worn-out or broken stylus. You could view Shure's statement in that light, if you prefer it to my realist ("might net them a sale") view. :)

G'day all, all things being equal perhaps we're lucky to have 'any' Shure Hi Fi phono cartridges still around!

From what I've read on the Shure website, very serious consideration was given to ending all phono cartridge production around the time of the rise of the CD format.

So perhaps from that viewpoint we should all be glad that the M97xE is still in production as Hi Fi phono cartridges seem to be a very low priority for the Shure company nowadays (sadly). Regards, Felix aka catman.

Back
Top Bottom