The Marantz 2215 that started smoking in my house without asking!

madmonk67

I noticed a chemical-type smokey smell, and then the receiver turned off, having blown it's main fuse. Upon investigation of the audio output board (P700) I found that no less than 5 resistors (R728,R738,R734,R744,R746) were burned up (highlighted in red, see photo). I have replaced the resistors with exact same values, and now it no longer blows the main fuse, and does not seem to generate heat that I can tell, but there is just a mild hum in that channel now. I am good with a multimeter, can read schematics and have some experience making repairs on other audio devices, but am not an engineer or electronics expert and so know when to ask for help or learn what I should be looking for. Most my electronics experience is building and modding my own guitar pedals, of which there are many. But in this case given where I am at on repairing this , I assume I should perhaps be testing for faulty output transistor for that channel? I think that would be H002. Any advice appreciated! This website is as fantastic resource and has helped me in the past.
I highlighted the corresponding resistors on the diagram from the Marantz 2215 Service Manual I found at HiFi Engine. I uploaded it as well, assuming that is okay.

Attachments

• burned-board.jpg
    burned-board.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Marant-2215-audio-power2.jpg
    Marant-2215-audio-power2.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 68
  • hfe_marantz_2215_service-compressed.pdf
    742.1 KB · Views: 13
I would diode check all transistors on that channel, and I would use a DBT before powering up on any repairs.

looking at the schematic, all I can do, cause I don't know what is happening there, it appears that H002 is on the other channel. I highlighted the burned units and someone will know what is causing this issue. Note: R746 was determined to be where I highlighted it. Number was hard to read.

I didn't know the 2215 had enough power to burn anything. sorry for your loss, but you are in the right place to get the unit working again.

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Definitely diode test H003 and H004. A shorted output could be the culprit, like you said. I would check that first. And I agree that the board around H712 looks charred. Can’t tell if it’s from the transistor or the nearby resistor. So Check H712 while you are in there.

Back
Top Bottom