The Mid-Century/Danish thread

Tried paint thinner, laquer thinner, denatured and ISO alcohol. What works best is a gel stripper that I can paint on then wipe off the bubbled paint. Looks like a mess now, but I am optimistic that this will be a beauty when I am done.

IMG_2461.jpg

We found this blonde mahogany secretary bookcase at the GW last night. I've never seen that form in a mod style before.

It was made by Saginaw Furniture Shops Inc. and I can't imagine it was produced any later than the 1950's.

Now, safely back at our house, it's occupying a place of honor in the living room with the C. Jere birds and Modeline floor lamp.

DSCN0684.JPG

Nice.
Gotta table to put them around?

Well...technically yes. However, I don't think I can convince my wife to keep all of them. This makes 7 Herman Miller chairs (plus a bunch of other stuff), so some of them have to go. I'd love for them to be my dining set though.

I recently acquired two new items, both audio related. The first is a Kalmar Designs Teak CD Holder with ejector levers:

Kalmar_Designs_CD_Holder_1.jpg

Kalmar_Designs_CD_Holder_2.jpg

Kalmar_Designs_CD_Holder_3.jpg

Technically, it doesn't qualify as mid-century (probably made in the 1980s or early 1990s) or Danish (made in Thailand), but since its teak, it's a good match for my other Danish Modern pieces.

The second is a teak turntable case for my Elac Miracord 50H turntable:

Elac_Teak_Case_1.jpg

Elac_Teak_Case_2.jpg

Elac_Teak_Case_5.jpg

Elac_Teak_Case_6.jpg

Elac_Teak_Case_7.jpg

Again, may be stretching it on the definition of MCM, probably made in the late 1960s, possibly very early 1970s. No country of original anywhere on the case, but again, it's teak and matches the rest of my Danish Modern furniture. I bought the turntable last summer and when I saw this case show up locally, I had to have it.

Yeah, people decorate in what I call "western elegance" around here. I've found some pretty unbelievable stuff because of it.

Me and the wife came across a Barzilay entertainment console at our local Restore store during the summer. It's in great condition and very MCM. The speakers were gone but the Mac 1700 receiver and Dual 1090 turntable were still there and work! Got the whole thing for $20! That was my score of the century! Both pieces of gear had the original owners manual also!

My new place finally has a large enough living room for my favorite piece of furniture to be placed front and center:

drPObcJ.jpg

It's a Herman Miller (by George Nelson) credenza that I found at the local outing club's annual yard sale a few years ago. Only paid $20, though at the time I had no idea what it really was other than simply beautiful. Found that an identical one sold at auction for over $2000. I think it goes great with the wood paneling on the walls.

I also found this chair at a local thrift this past summer:

gQk3Qsp.jpg

wkaLOIc.jpg

It has no makers mark that I can find...if anyone recognizes it I would like to know its history!

Last edited:
That price can not be correct. I wonder if it is owned by a museum or someone and you are the caretaker or something.

Back
Top Bottom