The Mid-Century/Danish thread

I think every address will show up on that website. Did you try putting your own address in to the search box?

I think every address will show up on that website. Did you try putting your own address in to the search box?

No, my house is in the middle of rural farmland, no real street addresses in these parts. Hell, they can't even decide which sector I live in - electric bill says one sector name, the water, another.

But you're probably right, that database might just have all the addresses as you start typing them in.

That's a gorgeous house, but still would be a great setting for a Stephen King novel. LOL

It makes sense according to the first rule of real estate. Location, location, location.

It's actually in a pretty nice town within easy driving distance of downtown St. Louis. Property is just cheaper out here. I have a 2550 ft2 mid-century house in Springfield (not including partial basement) on three lots in the middle of town, that would probably sell for $200k. In most parts of LA, it would probably be well over $1M.

Location is everything. Houses in the midwest can be very very inexpensive, compared to some other areas. For example, a little 900 Sq. ft bungalow might be priced at $59,000 in Peoria, while the same house in Santa Monica could cost $1.5 million.

Picked up this Benny Linden teak armchair tonight:

Benny_Linden_1.jpg

Benny_Linden_4.jpg

Benny_Linden_5.jpg

Nothing spectacular, but sturdy and comfortable. Sitting in it now while I type this.

It's actually in worse shape than the photos show. Has some deep scratches on the two left legs and some stains on the fabric.

Any suggestions on how to clean the fabric? It appears to be original. So, I'd like to keep it. It's a suede like cloth (not real suede leather).

I think I'm going to have to do some sanding on the legs to remove the scratches. Suggestions on what finish to apply after the sanding?

Picked up this Benny Linden teak armchair tonight:

Benny_Linden_1.jpg

Benny_Linden_4.jpg

Benny_Linden_5.jpg

Nothing spectacular, but sturdy and comfortable. Sitting in it now while I type this.

It's actually in worse shape than the photos show. Has some deep scratches on the two left legs and some stains on the fabric.

Any suggestions on how to clean the fabric? It appears to be original. So, I'd like to keep it. It's a suede like cloth (not real suede leather).

I think I'm going to have to do some sanding on the legs to remove the scratches. Suggestions on what finish to apply after the sanding?

Just found a pair of these exact same Benny Linden chairs on the Seattle craigslist:

Benny_Linden_6.jpg

Last edited:
Just found a pair of these exact same Benny Linden chairs on the Seattle craigslist:

Benny_Linden_6.jpg

So now you've got to look around the house a little to see if there's a great spot for three of them! (<-- this is what usually gets me in trouble! LOL)

I like the joint detail where the arm meets the leg. As for your scratches in the wood, before any stain or varnish, you might try rubbing with an almond or walnut to see if it will fill it in and blend.

https://macgyverisms.wonderhowto.co...-nicks-scratches-your-wood-furniture-0161224/

For the fabric, you'll probably want to wait until the other two chairs arrive (because you know you might as well rescue them into a home that will appreciate their style - like I said, this is how I get myself into trouble). Once they're all together, you'll be able to determine if reupholstery is in order.

There's the steam clean option. Most steam cleaner rentals have an upholstery attatchment. An upholstery/fabric dye could also take that color down a shade or two to mask any stains.

Really nice looking chair!

So now you've got to look around the house a little to see if there's a great spot for three of them! (<-- this is what usually gets me in trouble! LOL)

I like the joint detail where the arm meets the leg. As for your scratches in the wood, before any stain or varnish, you might try rubbing with an almond or walnut to see if it will fill it in and blend.

https://macgyverisms.wonderhowto.co...-nicks-scratches-your-wood-furniture-0161224/

For the fabric, you'll probably want to wait until the other two chairs arrive (because you know you might as well rescue them into a home that will appreciate their style - like I said, this is how I get myself into trouble). Once they're all together, you'll be able to determine if reupholstery is in order.

There's the steam clean option. Most steam cleaner rentals have an upholstery attatchment. An upholstery/fabric dye could also take that color down a shade or two to mask any stains.

Really nice looking chair!

LOL, the other two won't be coming home with me anytime soon. In spite of the favorable price, this one almost didn't make it home with me as I tried to picture where I would use it. I moved it to the guest bedroom last night where it will serve as a listening/reading chair (along with a Pioneer SX-525 driving a pair of Dynaco A25s).

Now, I just need to find an appropriate small ottoman/foot stool.

The scratches on the legs are pretty deep and cover a large surface area. I think some sanding will be required.

For the fabric, I may try the white vinegar/club soda/Dawn dish washing liquid solution I see recommended online.

Once you sand those down to get rid of the wear and scratches, since they are teak I would use something like Dalys Seafin Teak oil. Ace or True Value typically has it.

There was a slight amount of tarnish on the nickel finish that I removed with a bit of cleaner and a scotchpad, then followed with a coat of protective wax. I realized early in the process that there are a lot of damned spokes in that table!

The yard sale season is off to a good start. Drove by this one at lunch and apparently there were only a few before me (and they didn't buy much). These were $10.

The textiles are Ecudorean (I think), the skier pack is a 1950s Millet from France, and the casserole is a Danish Copco. I passed on the furniture, munDanish -

MGMyR1R.jpg

This is backside of the early 70s Percival Lafer club chair in our living room. It was a dump find w/ solid rosewood frame (50 lbs.!). I am still working on it hence the chopped pic. It was missing the dowels to hold the cushion straps in. I just finished the (2) you can see. They aren't oiled yet but will be a good match. They are pau ferro -

ybJ5k34.jpg

Lastly, just pulled these out of our bedroom. Kilbaek Mobilfabrik, a great Danish brand. These are late 60s and push into the Mod realm. Heading off to auction soon, they don't work in our current set-up -

GXPAewD.jpg

2eLK2Hb.jpg

Last edited:
Same as Drugolf, posted to the wrong forum so reposting here..

France and Sons - Inger Klingenberg
Chair 193 and dining room table with leaf
$50 yard sale.

Sideboard - Knud Nielsen
$100 estate sale

index.php

The leaf is stored in the table. Superb solid teak workmanship.

index.php

Garbage pile salvage. Sanded a lot and oiled. No ID markings, nice grain pattern.

index.php

Back
Top Bottom