The Mid-Century/Danish thread

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by Sam Cogley, Oct 10, 2009.

1. kbott

kbott Addicted Member

Hello all,

It's been quite some time since I've been on the forum. Not quite mid century but I think it came out nice DSC03931.JPG

DSC03934.JPG

KrautNotRice likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Katalyst

Katalyst AK Subscriber Subscriber

The grain on the drawers look like a rorschach test.

Ds2000 and reydelaplaya like this.
  3. kbott

kbott Addicted Member

A really nice crotch mahogany veneer. I see a clown face in the second drawer from the top

reydelaplaya likes this.
  4. sslade43

sslade43 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Found the Arne Vodder Stereo cabinet locally. It already had the lower part taken apart, which was good for me cause I was trying to find a mid century piece to store my mono blocks. Came with empty speaker cabinets as well that I hope to find speakers for.

IMG_3775.JPG IMG_3776.JPG

kray, lokerola, Drugolf and 3 others like this.
  5. reydelaplaya

reydelaplaya AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well I finally broke out that other NOS Schioler/Hoyrup lampshade from its box today - and had the perfect reason to do so.

0959BA12-672C-48D8-9C4A-C96FEB5113DB.jpeg

Last week, I bought a nice vintage Bolex tripod from @eiraved over in BT. I had been looking at it for quite some time with the idea of using it as the base for this other Hoyrup lampshade. The shade’s supposed to be a pendant, exactly like the one I have hanging in my bedroom except this is a light beige/tan shade, but I figured out a way to install it using its original ring-support as a table/floor lamp instead. So this tripod seemed like the perfect base for it.

The tripod arrived today in excellent vintage condition, so I spent the afternoon piecing together a wired connecting base that would utilize the camera mount of the tripod without making any modifications to it. Gotta pick up a longer lamp cord, but I was sidetracked by creating the connecting base and didn’t get to the hardware store today.

Finished it a little while ago, and set it up for a quick couple snapshots.

F23F4CE9-5D42-4AD2-A6A1-3EC073981941.jpeg

E883FBD9-65FE-4D25-9585-9F843F2EE5C7.jpeg

Two MCM objects that have nothing to do with each other, but I think worked out quite well combined. Fully extended, it stands just over 6ft tall.

Destined for the back room lounge in the corner behind a couple of those repro Eames chairs and the matching bent-ply table.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  6. eiraved

eiraved Plane Whisperer Subscriber

Every camera buff I've spoken to is firmly against using this type of tripod for cameras. The going emphasis is on transportability, which would disqualify this tripod on it's sheer bulk! Rey's imagination has taken this tripod to a direction I would have never thought it could go, so kudos to you. Beautiful work!

hjames and reydelaplaya like this.

7. reydelaplaya

reydelaplaya AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thank you for the tripod and the compliment. :) I can totally see why today’s photographers would shy away from it - it’s a big, heavy beast! LOL Not something you’d want to lug around to mount a light, modern digital camera to.

The build quality is outstanding, though. Every pivot on it flows so buttery-smooth, effortlessly locks into place, and all of the knobs and details are very refined - it’s definitely quality I’d expect from the makers of fine chocolates, cheese, and watches. I kinda feel bad that I’m not using it for its intended purpose. Maybe I’ll have to pick up a couple vintage film cameras and start a new hobby. :D

eiraved likes this.
  8. Cadillac Kid

Cadillac Kid Addicted Member

30B084BF-B9B9-47A3-BC94-0EFC4D1E8F44.jpeg
    This has a MCM vibe. Aluminum shade and base with heavy brass goose neck. Cloth wire and porcelain wire nuts inside.

It was dirty but in nice condition. I like lamp projects. $4.

reydelaplaya and Ds2000 like this.
  9. Cadillac Kid

17979BFC-B6D7-42BC-AC98-4CFDE739C219.jpeg
    The wooden piece on the back was painted black and was chipping. Looking at images on the web, I decided that stained wood was more common.

Here it is after some scrapping and sanding. Maybe bleach and then stain? I will take a closer look at 427s thread on refinishing.

reydelaplaya and MCM_Fan like this.
  10. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

I picked up this 1959 MasterCrafters Starlight Clock (No. 146) a couple days ago as a birthday gift to myself:

[​IMG]

I also picked up this midcentury modern B.P. John nightstand. It has some nasty water marks and other cosmetic blemishes on both shelves. It rally could use a proper refinish, but I gave it the quick Restor-A-Finish/Feed-N-Wax treatment. I thought it would make a cute stand foor a small, dedicated vintage vinyl system:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    xero-D-hero, Drugolf, nedseg and 6 others like this.
  11. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Airguide Director 510B Desk Combination (Thermometer, Barometer, Hygrometer):

[​IMG]

12. cendrar

cendrar Member

fullsizeoutput_13d3.jpeg

My Dad helped me in recovering this 1969 R. Huber chair. I chose a Maharam wool material. We also recovered the footstool, though it is not shown. A lot of fun.

13. hjames

hjames beware - winter is HERE! Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Not sure if I ever posted them, but we found 2 of these MCM shelf units over the years - the first one came from Del Rey,
    a bungalow area in Alexandria VA nearby, the second was from North Beach on the Chesapeake Bay - (much cheaper!).
    I cut and stained some boards to match for extra space in the office unit. I have a 2nd folding desk module in the basement.
    Both are 3 bay units, very similar, but we can only fit 2 bays on the wall in the kitchen!
    I set up a 3 bay arrangement up in the upstairs office, behind me.
    A pair of JBL L20T speakers on top for audio monitoring on my MacPro,
    with a wide spectrum florescent light to fight SAD in winter ...
    An ancient networked Laserjet 4100 on the far right.
    Yes, the office is a tight space - with dual desk spaces - for my wife and I.

MCM-Kitchen-Shelves_7389.jpg MCM_Office_7514.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    lokerola, reydelaplaya and Katalyst like this.
  14. 2526

2526 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Those are nice. You're certainly getting good use of them!

15. Cadillac Kid

Picked up this $2 headboard lamp. Kind of Deco, but the aluminum end pieces fit Mid-Century design, I think.

IMG_2700.jpg

KrautNotRice, cendrar and Drugolf like this.
  16. sol7

sol7 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I like. Looks very comfortable.

17. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

It is gorgeous!

cendrar likes this.
  18. 2526

2526 AK Subscriber Subscriber

EAF587D2-7D95-4C14-874A-DC360E3581D6.jpeg
    view of my mcm stereo setup.

19. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

20. elcoholic

elcoholic Jet Fuel Genius Subscriber

Coolness from when “The Valley” was the LA residential boomtown.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018