The Mid-Century/Danish thread

Found the Arne Vodder Stereo cabinet locally. It already had the lower part taken apart, which was good for me cause I was trying to find a mid century piece to store my mono blocks. Came with empty speaker cabinets as well that I hope to find speakers for.

IMG_3775.JPG IMG_3776.JPG

My bedroom pendant lamp is an original late 60s/early 70s Lars Schioler/Hoyrup called Cactus. It's an easy 2 feet from outer tip to outer tip. I have another still NOS in its box that may end up the shade for an arched bentwood floor lamp if I ever get around to making it. Ikea now sells a smaller version with the points rounded off.

Well I finally broke out that other NOS Schioler/Hoyrup lampshade from its box today - and had the perfect reason to do so.

0959BA12-672C-48D8-9C4A-C96FEB5113DB.jpeg

Last week, I bought a nice vintage Bolex tripod from @eiraved over in BT. I had been looking at it for quite some time with the idea of using it as the base for this other Hoyrup lampshade. The shade’s supposed to be a pendant, exactly like the one I have hanging in my bedroom except this is a light beige/tan shade, but I figured out a way to install it using its original ring-support as a table/floor lamp instead. So this tripod seemed like the perfect base for it.

The tripod arrived today in excellent vintage condition, so I spent the afternoon piecing together a wired connecting base that would utilize the camera mount of the tripod without making any modifications to it. Gotta pick up a longer lamp cord, but I was sidetracked by creating the connecting base and didn’t get to the hardware store today.

Finished it a little while ago, and set it up for a quick couple snapshots.

F23F4CE9-5D42-4AD2-A6A1-3EC073981941.jpeg

E883FBD9-65FE-4D25-9585-9F843F2EE5C7.jpeg

Two MCM objects that have nothing to do with each other, but I think worked out quite well combined. Fully extended, it stands just over 6ft tall.

Destined for the back room lounge in the corner behind a couple of those repro Eames chairs and the matching bent-ply table.

Last edited:
Every camera buff I've spoken to is firmly against using this type of tripod for cameras. The going emphasis is on transportability, which would disqualify this tripod on it's sheer bulk! Rey's imagination has taken this tripod to a direction I would have never thought it could go, so kudos to you. Beautiful work!

Every camera buff I've spoken to is firmly against using this type of tripod for cameras. The going emphasis is on transportability, which would disqualify this tripod on it's sheer bulk! Rey's imagination has taken this tripod to a direction I would have never thought it could go, so kudos to you. Beautiful work!

Thank you for the tripod and the compliment. :) I can totally see why today’s photographers would shy away from it - it’s a big, heavy beast! LOL Not something you’d want to lug around to mount a light, modern digital camera to.

The build quality is outstanding, though. Every pivot on it flows so buttery-smooth, effortlessly locks into place, and all of the knobs and details are very refined - it’s definitely quality I’d expect from the makers of fine chocolates, cheese, and watches. I kinda feel bad that I’m not using it for its intended purpose. Maybe I’ll have to pick up a couple vintage film cameras and start a new hobby. :D

17979BFC-B6D7-42BC-AC98-4CFDE739C219.jpeg
The wooden piece on the back was painted black and was chipping. Looking at images on the web, I decided that stained wood was more common.

Here it is after some scrapping and sanding. Maybe bleach and then stain? I will take a closer look at 427s thread on refinishing.

I picked up this 1959 MasterCrafters Starlight Clock (No. 146) a couple days ago as a birthday gift to myself:

Master_Crafters_Starlight_2.jpg

I also picked up this midcentury modern B.P. John nightstand. It has some nasty water marks and other cosmetic blemishes on both shelves. It rally could use a proper refinish, but I gave it the quick Restor-A-Finish/Feed-N-Wax treatment. I thought it would make a cute stand foor a small, dedicated vintage vinyl system:

BP_John_Nightstand_2.jpg

BP_John_Nightstand_3.jpg

BP_John_Nightstand_1.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if I ever posted them, but we found 2 of these MCM shelf units over the years - the first one came from Del Rey,
a bungalow area in Alexandria VA nearby, the second was from North Beach on the Chesapeake Bay - (much cheaper!).
I cut and stained some boards to match for extra space in the office unit. I have a 2nd folding desk module in the basement.
Both are 3 bay units, very similar, but we can only fit 2 bays on the wall in the kitchen!
I set up a 3 bay arrangement up in the upstairs office, behind me.
A pair of JBL L20T speakers on top for audio monitoring on my MacPro,
with a wide spectrum florescent light to fight SAD in winter ...
An ancient networked Laserjet 4100 on the far right.
Yes, the office is a tight space - with dual desk spaces - for my wife and I.

MCM-Kitchen-Shelves_7389.jpg MCM_Office_7514.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom